XDA Xposed Tuesday: XHangouts Will Improve Your Hangouts

Ever since Google started supporting text messaging in Hangouts many people have … more

Shattered Screen? Turn Your Broken Device into a Complete Media Center!

A cracked screen usually means you’ll have to spend a hefty … more

Gmail 5.0: Material Design and Multiple Account Support

Google started to materialize many of its applications right after announcing the … more

Some of Our Favorite Features in Android 5.0 Lollipop

Android 5.0 Lollipop is the latest major revision to Google’s mobile operating … more
Post Reply

[Q] Galaxy s4 AT&T Odin Mode Stuck after trying to install TWRP using Flashify

OP jwm_

11th August 2014, 06:12 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
4 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2014
I rooted a Samsung S4 with the towelroot method.

So I installed flashify and used it to backup my kernel and my current recovery to SD card.

Then I used flashify to install the latest version of TWRP.

Now my phone boots in to ODIN mode.

The top right of the screen says

Could not do a normal boot.
ODIN Mode

and the screen says "Downloading Do not turn off target"

I tried rebooting with the two or three buttons pressed, and the phone continues to reboot into this mode.

Help is appreciated.
11th August 2014, 06:22 PM   |  #2  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
4 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2014
Update
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm_

I rooted a Samsung S4 with the towelroot method.

So I installed flashify and used it to backup my kernel and my current recovery to SD card.

Then I used flashify to install the latest version of TWRP.

Now my phone boots in to ODIN mode.

The top right of the screen says

Could not do a normal boot.
ODIN Mode

and the screen says "Downloading Do not turn off target"

I tried rebooting with the two or three buttons pressed, and the phone continues to reboot into this mode.

Help is appreciated.


So I figured out how to boot to download mode, and then canceled the download. The phone booted normally. Should I now restore my backup of the recovery using flashify?

Being new to this, it seems I may of messed up my "recovery" is that correct? Will flashify fix this?

It seems that what I am trying to do is impossible, I was trying to backup my rom using TWRP. Why is there a version of TWRP for at&t s4 if it will not work?

Thanks for the help.
11th August 2014, 08:25 PM   |  #3  
jd1639's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Minnetonka, MN
Thanks Meter: 3,510
 
10,202 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm_

So I figured out how to boot to download mode, and then canceled the download. The phone booted normally. Should I now restore my backup of the recovery using flashify?

Being new to this, it seems I may of messed up my "recovery" is that correct? Will flashify fix this?

It seems that what I am trying to do is impossible, I was trying to backup my rom using TWRP. Why is there a version of TWRP for at&t s4 if it will not work?

Thanks for the help.

Twrp will work if you're on mdb/mdl firmware. If you're on anything newer, and most are, you will not be able to use twrp. Safestrap is the only recovery you can use. You're most likely going to have to use Odin at this point and start your process all over. Do you know what firmware version you're on?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to jd1639 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th August 2014, 08:31 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
4 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2014
Flashify?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1639

Twrp will work if you're on mdb/mdl firmware. If you're on anything newer, and most are, you will not be able to use twrp. Safestrap is the only recovery you can use. You're most likely going to have to use Odin at this point and start your process all over. Do you know what firmware version you're on?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

NB1

My phone is basically working right now.

Why wont flashify restore the recovery? Is my recovery messed up? Are you basically saying that you don't know what state my phone is in, so use odin to get back to a starting point?

Thanks for your reply.
11th August 2014, 08:36 PM   |  #5  
jd1639's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Minnetonka, MN
Thanks Meter: 3,510
 
10,202 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm_

NB1

My phone is basically working right now.

Why wont flashify restore the recovery? Is my recovery messed up? Are you basically saying that you don't know what state my phone is in, so use odin to get back to a starting point?

Thanks for your reply.

If you tried to install twrp your recovery is most likely messed up. Go to the general forum and look for index, all things at&t..... I believe there is a stock recovery file that can be flashed in Odin.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to jd1639 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th August 2014, 08:53 PM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
4 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2014
flashify?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1639

If you tried to install twrp your recovery is most likely messed up. Go to the general forum and look for index, all things at&t..... I believe there is a stock recovery file that can be flashed in Odin.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

Again, thank you for your assistance. But isn't the whole point of Flashify to restore my recovery (among other things?). I was trying not to be a total n00b and backup things the right way, but seems like it didn't help me.

Wish there was more info out there about twrp not working with anything that resembles a recent firmware update of the at&t phone (just ranting, obviously not your fault).
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes