[Q] Galaxy S4 Speaker not working.

OP benzajac

4th August 2014, 11:11 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
A few months ago, my Galaxy s4 was exposed to a small amount of water. I instinctively placed it some rice for two days, but when I removed it, the speaker was making a loud crackling noise. Not knowing what to do at the time, I ignored it, and it eventually went away, but the speaker was not functional.
A few weeks ago, I ordered a new loudspeaker to try and fix it. It did not work, but if I put my ear next to it, it still made a very faint crackling noise. I then bought a new USB board (which the speaker connects to), and the same thing happened. No sound and a very faint crackling noise.
Does anybody have any other ideas of what I could try to fix it? I am out of ideas.
6th August 2014, 12:20 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benzajac

A few months ago, my Galaxy s4 was exposed to a small amount of water. I instinctively placed it some rice for two days, but when I removed it, the speaker was making a loud crackling noise. Not knowing what to do at the time, I ignored it, and it eventually went away, but the speaker was not functional.
A few weeks ago, I ordered a new loudspeaker to try and fix it. It did not work, but if I put my ear next to it, it still made a very faint crackling noise. I then bought a new USB board (which the speaker connects to), and the same thing happened. No sound and a very faint crackling noise.
Does anybody have any other ideas of what I could try to fix it? I am out of ideas.

Why did you place it in rice for two days? The right thing to do after water damage is to blow dry it with hair dryer.
I am no 'expert' but it might be the sound processing chip(welded on mother board) damaged by water and the easy way to fix it is to replace the whole board, which could cost hundreds in the us. If you are in a country where labor is cheap, there are people that can help you fix the chip for reasonable cost. But in the us, you probably have to replace the mother board or just buy another phone.

my advise is that check the whole board with magnifying lens to find any rust or water trail. sandpaper the connection part of speaker,make sure the speaker is properly connected. The problem can be as simple as a weakly connected speaker.

God bless you.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread