Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Gallery App stays empty

OP smock9

6th August 2014, 06:50 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

15 posts
I successfully rooted but the upgrade of the su binary (using superuser) failed and the stock recovery went into some kind of failsafe and wiped the phone.

I had recently made a backup using adb and restored that backup using adb.

I wasn't too happy with the result. It seemed to miss a bunch of my apps and settings that I had to manually bring back to the way I had it.
Additionally, I found that I had to re-uninstall/turn off the bloatware apps that I had done before the backup.

Other than those minor annoyances, everything else seemed to restore just fine except for the Gallery app.
Ever since the restore my gallery app shows no pictures or videos (not blank thumbnails, a lack of any albums at all). There are pictures on the internal memory and external SD card and it shows neither.

When I open the "Content to display" menu and hit "OK" it scans the memory for media for a while and when that completes gallery does display the albums of pictures that are stored in memory.
However, if i reboot the device or even leave the gallery app for a while and come back to it, all of the pictures and albums are missing again.

I have tried stopping the gallery app and clearing cache and data (as suggested in other threads).
I tried using a root enabled file explorer to delete the gallery data folders (both in /data/data/com.sec.android.gallery3d as well as in /sdcard/Android/data/com.sec.android.gallery3d) with the same result.

I have tried pulling all the images off the internal memory and putting them back (as suggested in another thread).
I have tried other gallery apps like F-Stop and it functions as you would expect.

All of this leads me to believe the problem is with Gallery app and not the storage of the images themselves.

A similar thread suggested that he solved it by formatting the storage. I'm willing to give that a try if it seems likely to work. But since it was a little bit of work to get everything correct again after the restore, I'd rather not if there is another way. (Plus, I'm not fully sure how to go about it).

Any advice? Thanks in advance.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread