Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,797 Members 51,557 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Hard bricked (no boot, no download mode)

Tip us?

mascondante
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Default [Q] Hard bricked (no boot, no download mode)

I've been digging around online and can't find anything that helps me in my case.

Here's my stupidity: I flashed a kernel that was not intended for my phone (meant for Note 2). Reboot and dead screen. Can't get into download mode, recovery, nothing. Removed battery. Didn't help. Plugged into computer. Doesn't pick up anything connected. Odin doesn't see it. Tried RIFF. Can't get it to install the drivers it's supposed to. I saw something about jig dongles that can force it into download mode but I don't know about that.

What really stinks is I had just compiled SheepShaver for android and it took a few hours of work and I really don't want to do that all over again. Also pictures of my father who's just passed away are on there.

Am I screwed? Is there any way at all to get the proper kernel flashed back on this thing without a wipe? If not is there any way I can fix this phone? I have a semi-recent backup (about a month old) on my SD card. I have both Titanium Backup and a full nandroid backup on the SD.

Someone please come to my rescue. I've logged countless hours on this phone and I love it. All this because I couldn't get SELinux to go permissive...

jd1639
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,345
You already know the answer. If you flashed a kernel not for your device and with the symptoms you have, your hard bricked. Jtag is the answer.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to jd1639 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mascondante
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1639 View Post
You already know the answer. If you flashed a kernel not for your device and with the symptoms you have, your hard bricked. Jtag is the answer.

Do you know if these guys are the real deal? http://mobiletechvideos.mybigcommerc...g-brick-repair

I don't have the equipment to jtag it myself. Also just to be perfectly clear; An incorrect kernel cannot be fixed with a download mode jig correct?

jd1639
Old
(Last edited by jd1639; 26th August 2014 at 10:57 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascondante View Post
Do you know if these guys are the real deal? http://mobiletechvideos.mybigcommerc...g-brick-repair

I don't have the equipment to jtag it myself. Also just to be perfectly clear; An incorrect kernel cannot be fixed with a download mode jig correct?
mobiletechvideos.com have gotten high reviews on xda. They're the only ones I'd use.

Edit, I'm not sure they're the same as your link

Edit, edit it looks like they're the same guys

Edit, edit edit I don't know about the jig. It could get you into download mode.

djdedonrg
Old
Thanks Meter 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascondante View Post
I've been digging around online and can't find anything that helps me in my case.

Here's my stupidity: I flashed a kernel that was not intended for my phone (meant for Note 2). Reboot and dead screen. Can't get into download mode, recovery, nothing. Removed battery. Didn't help. Plugged into computer. Doesn't pick up anything connected. Odin doesn't see it. Tried RIFF. Can't get it to install the drivers it's supposed to. I saw something about jig dongles that can force it into download mode but I don't know about that.

What really stinks is I had just compiled SheepShaver for android and it took a few hours of work and I really don't want to do that all over again. Also pictures of my father who's just passed away are on there.

Am I screwed? Is there any way at all to get the proper kernel flashed back on this thing without a wipe? If not is there any way I can fix this phone? I have a semi-recent backup (about a month old) on my SD card. I have both Titanium Backup and a full nandroid backup on the SD.

Someone please come to my rescue. I've logged countless hours on this phone and I love it. All this because I couldn't get SELinux to go permissive...

Install drivers riffbox and use this program, revive your galaxy

https://mega.co.nz/#!LVZSHbSb!jX5wqK...bLe0V8h5JpZmcE
The Following User Says Thank You to djdedonrg For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mascondante
Old
(Last edited by mascondante; 30th August 2014 at 06:56 AM.) Reason: Update
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdedonrg View Post
Install drivers riffbox and use this program, revive your galaxy

https://mega.co.nz/#!LVZSHbSb!jX5wqK...bLe0V8h5JpZmcE
Thank you. I'm trying. I installed those drivers. Trying to find the forum that explains how to use that tool. I saw that thread but it didn't have the download link anymore for the tool.

Update:

Huston I believe we have a problem:
Click image for larger version

Name:	riff1.png
Views:	10
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	2917703Click image for larger version

Name:	riff2.png
Views:	13
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	2917704

I tried installing manually and I get an error about the file's hash doesn't match the cert.
Tags
bricked, galaxy s4, hard bricked