Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,815 Members 40,108 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Need help with unlocking Bootloader

Tip us?

Soulflame22
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulkitanand View Post
Oh, okay thanks. Also, can't I use a Loki'd TWRP Recovery? Or is that not an option anymore since I'm running 4.4.2?
Loki from what i understand is for 4.3 or earlier, since you are on 4.4.x, Loki won't work and you can't downgrade it either, sucks i know

pulkitanand
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thank you very much for clarifying the whole thing for me. I have read everything in that link given and now I understand how to do it. Have to say, it's quite a bit more to do for us At&t users. I don't know why Samsung chose to lock the bootloader -.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bweekzzz View Post
What's up man? You can't use loki, TWRP, or anything else except safestrap. Read the link above for everything mk2, nb1, nc1. I know it's a lot, but read it. You should be on NC1, so first read root section for NC1. Then read recovery section and get safestrap 3.73. Then read the installation instructions for NC1 base. The GEE roms are ok, but not without bugs. I tried both of them and they weren't for me because of the bugs. I know it's a lot but those sections should get you there. Good luck k man. Oh yeah. You can't take OTA updates with the GPE rooms either. They are taken from GPE but modified to work with safestrap. The official updates won't work.

---------- Post added at 12:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 AM ----------

I meant safestrap 3.72. Not 3.73. Sorry. Typo.

pulkitanand
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Oh, okay thanks for clarifying that. Yeah, it's unfortunate that I can't downgrade :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulflame22 View Post
Loki from what i understand is for 4.3 or earlier, since you are on 4.4.x, Loki won't work and you can't downgrade it either, sucks i know

pulkitanand
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Which ROM do you recommend from the list of ROMs given in that link?

Quote:
What's up man? You can't use loki, TWRP, or anything else except safestrap. Read the link above for everything mk2, nb1, nc1. I know it's a lot, but read it. You should be on NC1, so first read root section for NC1. Then read recovery section and get safestrap 3.73. Then read the installation instructions for NC1 base. The GEE roms are ok, but not without bugs. I tried both of them and they weren't for me because of the bugs. I know it's a lot but those sections should get you there. Good luck k man. Oh yeah. You can't take OTA updates with the GPE rooms either. They are taken from GPE but modified to work with safestrap. The official updates won't work.

---------- Post added at 12:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 AM ----------

I meant safestrap 3.72. Not 3.73. Sorry. Typo.

cxzzcx
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulkitanand View Post
Which ROM do you recommend from the list of ROMs given in that link?
Please read the links and resources on the forums before asking questions. If you bothered to read the GPE pages, they indicate that both roms are pretty much the same as they are based on the same rom. Also, AT&T decided to ship with a locked bootloader. Samsung gives that option to carriers and it's their decision on that.

Bweekzzz
Old
Thanks Meter 8
It really wouldn't matter if I suggested some roms because once you get started you'll be flashing them all sooner or later like most of us. LOL. Honestly the best thing to do is flash one, use it for about a week. If you don't like it, try another one. Once you get the hang of flashing them is not a big deal when you want to try another one. Titanium backup your user apps and restore them after you flash roms. Just the user apps, not system stuff. Easy peasy. What I usually do is do a search on you tube for a review of the rom I wanna try and see if I might like it. The guy from androidrootz usually does good ones. Have fun man. It's quite an addiction at times. LOL.

pulkitanand
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Haha I know what you mean. I had a Sony Xperia Ion before and I used to mod some little thing on it all the time. It is quite an addiction lol. Yeah I will probably end up doing that although I am hoping that the GPE will be good enough for me. Thanks.

Quote:
It really wouldn't matter if I suggested some roms because once you get started you'll be flashing them all sooner or later like most of us. LOL. Honestly the best thing to do is flash one, use it for about a week. If you don't like it, try another one. Once you get the hang of flashing them is not a big deal when you want to try another one. Titanium backup your user apps and restore them after you flash roms. Just the user apps, not system stuff. Easy peasy. What I usually do is do a search on you tube for a review of the rom I wanna try and see if I might like it. The guy from androidrootz usually does good ones. Have fun man. It's quite an addiction at times. LOL.

Bweekzzz
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Oh yeah. And don't even pay attention to some people telling you to do this and that before asking questions, because you didn't bother to read something. How do they know what you read and MAYBE MISSED. They're all geniuses and never need to ask questions.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bweekzzz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

pulkitanand
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Okay thanks for the tip.

Quote:
Oh yeah. And don't even pay attention to some people telling you to do this and that before asking questions, because you didn't bother to read something. How do they know what you read and MAYBE MISSED. They're all geniuses and never need to ask questions.