Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,054 Members 46,631 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Issues have begun...Cant turn on wifi, Losing data connection, no sim

Tip us?

jermo
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Issues have begun...Cant turn on wifi, Losing data connection, no sim

Hello Gents,

Have had my S4 for about a year now and its been awesome (still on MK2, stopped it from updating). It is rooted and safestrap has been installed. I didn't get around to installing a custom ROM though so im still on stock ROM. Been noticing some random issues today and cant pinpoint why. First I am unable to turn on WIFI, was able to yesterday but now it just stays grey. I randomly lose my data connection (well it has a circle with a line through it) and it randomly just pops back on to 4g. I was playing on the phone one time and no SIM error came up but then went away. Power saving mode turned itself on randomly when i have over half battery. Lots of random things happening...

Now i did lose some data and have been trying to recover it this past week using this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...-yes-t1994705/

I didn't make it far though because when i try to launch ADB Shell it gives me a permission error.

So that is another thing on the list, it is no longer prompting me to give root access to things. I also noticed that when i power on the phone, it no longer shows Samsung with a lock like it did ever since i rooted it. It now shows Samsung Galaxy S4...I Guess i may have lost root? I downloaded root checker and it says i still have it. Anyway its just so confusing, is it time to blow everything out and go back to stock MK2 and start over? What do you guys think? Thanks!
ATT I337 Samsung Galaxy S4 Rooted with Safe Strap

guut13
Old
Thanks Meter 1,220
If you don't mind, I'd say Odin to stock would be your first troubleshooting step.

Don't forget, internal SD gets erased when you Odin to stock.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
ATT Galaxy S4 -- NI1 Base -- Safestrapped

jermo
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by guut13 View Post
If you don't mind, I'd say Odin to stock would be your first troubleshooting step.

Don't forget, internal SD gets erased when you Odin to stock.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Think so huh? I was thinking so...and yeah i know it erases internal memory, ill pull everything off before that and titanium backup apps and blah blah..

What i'd like to know is does Odin to stock blow EVERYTHING out including root and safe strap to where i would have to do that all over again? and i assume there is an Odin to stock for MK2? because i do not want the new update...

guut13
Old
(Last edited by guut13; 13th July 2014 at 02:35 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by jermo View Post
Think so huh? I was thinking so...and yeah i know it erases internal memory, ill pull everything off before that and titanium backup apps and blah blah..

What i'd like to know is does Odin to stock blow EVERYTHING out including root and safe strap to where i would have to do that all over again? and i assume there is an Odin to stock for MK2? because i do not want the new update...
I think Odin to stock is easier than troubleshooting every issue that you are having. Especially considering you already tried fixing one of them.

Yes. Odin wipes the slate clean. You'd have to root and install safestrap again. In case you don't have it.

mk2 odin... http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2621279

root for mk2... http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2565758
ATT Galaxy S4 -- NI1 Base -- Safestrapped
The Following User Says Thank You to guut13 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jermo
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by guut13 View Post
I think Odin to stock is easier than troubleshooting every issue that you are having. Especially considering you already tried fixing one of them.

Yes. Odin wipes the slate clean. You'd have to root and install safestrap again. In case you don't have it.

mk2 odin... http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2621279

root for mk2... http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2565758
thanks brother! running through the long ridiculous process now
The Following User Says Thank You to jermo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Frankenscript
Old
Thanks Meter 42
I see you have started the process... But wouldn't doing a FDR first be a simpler first effort? You would still have to restore root and data and apps, but it would be a bit easier and probably fix the problem. Just a thought. Hope all worked out!
Current Phone:
T-Mo M919 / MDL bootloader / NB4 modem baseband /
Getting Dirty with: Dirty Unicorns

Previous phone:
ATT I337 / NC1 / SafeStrap 3.72 / GoldenEye v36

Other:
ASUS TF701T (rooted stock 4.3)
SAMSUNG Tab2 10.1 WiFi (stock 4.2.2)
SAMSUNG Tab2 10.1 WiFi (SlimKat... awesome!)