Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,743 Members 42,341 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] QMG to Bootanimation.zip

Tip us?

Completely_Clueless
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default [Q] QMG to Bootanimation.zip

Hi. I'm running a Galaxy S4 AT&T with Danvdh's Google Edition 4.4.4 ROM (here). I had just flashed this ROM today, and now I can't get a custom bootanimation.zip file to work. I'll explain what happened.

Before today, I was using his 4.4.2 ROM, and I had no issues with my bootanimation.zip working. Then I decided to try out a TouchWiz-based ROM (Skyfall ROM). I just wanted to compare a Google Edition ROM to a TouchWiz-based ROM. Well, I realized I prefer Google Edition, so today I decided to go back to Dan's GE ROM, updated to 4.4.4. But when I tried to put back my old bootanimation.zip file in /system/media, it wouldn't work! I just get Dan's default boot animation (the Google logo with the spinning circles).

I notice that there are instead two of these bootanimation.qmg files in /system/media folder. I Googled around and found out that these are Samsung's proprietary boot animation files. But here's the strange thing; the boot animation I have right now is Dan's GE animation, not the Samsung boot animation that I would expect from QMG files. How is this possible? I did a complete wipe (I'm using PhilZ recovery) before flashing Dan's ROM after coming from the Skyfall ROM, so why are these QMG files still left behind?

I tried renaming the QMG files (bootsamsung.qmg and bootsamsungloop.qmg) to disable them. But then I get no boot animation at all, just a black screen, even though I have bootanimation.zip in the /system/media folder. So how can I get rid of these QMG files and just return back to a good ol' fashion bootanimation.zip format?

jd1639
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3070
Did you give your biotechnology boot animation zip the permissions rw,r,r?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

Completely_Clueless
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1639 View Post
Did you give your biotechnology boot animation zip the permissions rw,r,r?

Yes, the bootanimation.zip file in /system/media is set to rw-r--r--. I also have a bootanimation.zip file in /data/local set to the same permissions, but neither of those work. I also tried this fix, but to no avail. All that gives me is a black screen instead of the boot animation, even when bootanimation.zip is still in the right folder with the right permissions.

jd1639
Old
(Last edited by jd1639; 5th July 2014 at 09:57 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Completely_Clueless View Post
Yes, the bootanimation.zip file in /system/media is set to rw-r--r--. I also have a bootanimation.zip file in /data/local set to the same permissions, but neither of those work. I also tried this fix, but to no avail. All that gives me is a black screen instead of the boot animation, even when bootanimation.zip is still in the right folder with the right permissions.
Don't you love word correction
Not sure what else to tell you. Sounds like the animation is in the right place and setup right.

Edit, do you still have the original sound files? Maybe there messing things up. /system/media/audio/ui. A couple of ogg files. Rename them to .ogg.bak

Completely_Clueless
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1639 View Post
Don't you love word correction
Not sure what else to tell you. Sounds like the animation is in the right place and setup right.

Edit, do you still have the original sound files? Maybe there messing things up. /system/media/audio/ui. A couple of ogg files. Rename them to .ogg.bak

I tried that. I had several OGG files, most of them seemed to be related to charging or docking or keyboard pressing. In any case, renaming them didn't help. I think at this point I might just re-flash the ROM. Still, I'm perplexed as to why those QMG files were still in my /system/media folder in the first place. I've been using Dan's GPE ROM for a long time now, and I have never seen those files there. I'm pretty sure they must have come from that TouchWiz ROM (Skyfall).

Another weird thing is that I didn't have any bootanimation.zip file to begin with. Previously, like when I was on the 4.4.2 ROM, there was an initial bootanimation.zip file that I'd rename to bootanimation.zip.bak, and then replace with my own bootanimation.zip. And presto, it worked like a charm, quick and easy. This time, there was no initial bootanimation.zip file, just those two QMG files. Yet somehow I still got the Google circle boot animation to play at first startup (this is on a newly-flashed ROM, mind you; I haven't even installed gapps yet, let alone any other modifications).

Any thoughts on this?