Can't get into recovery...

OP nola mike

2nd September 2014, 03:59 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 5

64 posts
Had a Goldeneye ROM installed, wanted to try something different. I'm on MLD baseband. Managed to load a Nexus ROM, but couldn't get wifi to work. Tried Goldfinger ROM, same result. Somewhere along the way, I lost the ability to get into TWRP recovery. I can get to the fallen android recovery menu, but whenever I try to reboot it goes to directly to the ROM (prior to this, if I tried to reboot to TWRP, it would first go to the fallen android, but then selecting reboot got me to TWRP). I have a nandroid backup, but don't know how to try it out without first going to recovery? Alternatively, I could try this method, but don't have a windows box and can't figure out which files I need to flash using heimdall. Thanks for the help...
2nd September 2014, 04:06 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Minnetonka, MN
Thanks Meter: 3,510

10,200 posts
Do not flash the link on your device. You can get the stock mdl firmware at sammobile.com. Flashing what you linked to will put the mk2 firmware on your device and you'll no longer be able to use twrp. Sorry I can't help you on heimdall though, I've never used it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app
2nd September 2014, 05:12 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 90

327 posts
Have you tried reflashing twrp? I would install flashify from playstore and go from there.
2nd September 2014, 08:22 PM   |  #4  
OP Member

64 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtioteclint

Have you tried reflashing twrp? I would install flashify from playstore and go from there.

OK, well, I managed to get back into recovery. Installed towelroot, then just reinstalled the safestrap recovery apk. Was able to restore my backup, and all was well. Tried reinstalling goldfinger, and wifi was gone again, as was my recovery (again). Weird.
2nd September 2014, 10:22 PM   |  #5  
OP Member

64 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nola mike

OK, well, I managed to get back into recovery. Installed towelroot, then just reinstalled the safestrap recovery apk. Was able to restore my backup, and all was well. Tried reinstalling goldfinger, and wifi was gone again, as was my recovery (again). Weird.

Meh, forgot to RTFM when installing the ROM. Needed to flash the ATT modules. In my defense, that info was buried pretty deep in the FM
5th September 2014, 04:27 AM   |  #6  
OP Member

64 posts
Quote:

Meh, forgot to RTFM when installing the ROM. Needed to flash the ATT modules. In my defense, that info was buried pretty deep in the FM

Sigh. I just need to quit while I'm ahead. After messing with some xposed modules, I eventually became unable to boot into recovery again, and am stuck at the bootloader screen. I think I need to reinstall firmware via odin (but I have no windows PC, so I'm going to try heimdall).
Is this method the correct one?
I have this file as my firmware: I337UCUAMDL_I337ATTAMDL_ATT.zip
5th September 2014, 04:35 PM   |  #7  
OP Member

64 posts
Quote:

Sigh. I just need to quit while I'm ahead. After messing with some xposed modules, I eventually became unable to boot into recovery again, and am stuck at the bootloader screen. I think I need to reinstall firmware via odin (but I have no windows PC, so I'm going to try heimdall).
Is this method the correct one?
I have this file as my firmware: I337UCUAMDL_I337ATTAMDL_ATT.zip

...And, we're back in business! Multiple problems, one of which was the wrong firmware version--the above is MDL, not MLD
I flashed back to stock MK2 firmware, then upgraded using towelroot and safestrap.

Had a bunch of problems trying to figure out Heimdall, and couldn't figure out what was going wrong (turned out to be the USB cable--I saw posts about this, and went through FIVE cables before I could find one that worked. It was a kindle cable, FWIW).

Tried ODIN in the meantime using my wife's old XP box. What a PITA. Had all kinds of issues trying to get kies to install. Anyway, I'll write up exactly what worked for me. A lot of the info I used was fragmented, old, and contradictory.

EDIT: Re-borked, and tried upgrading again, and ended up with the same errors using the new cable. Then used a different computer, and didn't have any trouble with multiple flashes. I think my USB controller is touchy on the original computer...
Last edited by nola mike; 5th September 2014 at 07:43 PM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread