S4 performance problems

20th August 2014, 12:58 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 4

252 posts
More
My AT&T S4 is having performance problems. I have some lag/delay switching apps, or going to/from home screen, etc. But the worst is a game like Minecraft. It pauses/freezes/stutters every couple seconds when I move around. Minecraft doesn't have these problems on my Nexus7(2012)

How can I figure out what is causing this? I have searched for a CPU usage app but couldn't find anything. I read that looking at battery usage would give an idea what is using the CPU, here is what it shows:
Android System 43%
Screen 18%
Zooper Widget Pro 7%
Android OS 6%

Are these normal usage?

My storage space is starting to get low. Out of 16GB I have 1.17GB free. Can this reallistically cause problems?

I think I see RAM usage under running applications I see these big ones: NILS 120MB, Android L Keyboard 31MB, Tasker 19MB, WidgetLocker 55MB, Zooper 31MB. I'll try disabling some of these, but these are some of my favorite utilities
22nd August 2014, 07:57 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 70

84 posts
More
Tutorial
Quote:
Originally Posted by itesla

My AT&T S4 is having performance problems. I have some lag/delay switching apps, or going to/from home screen, etc. But the worst is a game like Minecraft. It pauses/freezes/stutters every couple seconds when I move around. Minecraft doesn't have these problems on my Nexus7(2012)

How can I figure out what is causing this? I have searched for a CPU usage app but couldn't find anything. I read that looking at battery usage would give an idea what is using the CPU, here is what it shows:
Android System 43%
Screen 18%
Zooper Widget Pro 7%
Android OS 6%

Are these normal usage?

My storage space is starting to get low. Out of 16GB I have 1.17GB free. Can this reallistically cause problems?

I think I see RAM usage under running applications I see these big ones: NILS 120MB, Android L Keyboard 31MB, Tasker 19MB, WidgetLocker 55MB, Zooper 31MB. I'll try disabling some of these, but these are some of my favorite utilities

There are plenty of applications for speeding up your Android, such as Du Speed Booster and 360 Clean Droid. There are also some Xposed modules such as Greenify for doing the same thing (but better IMO). I also strongly suggest performing a backup and installing a custom ROM. I, for one, have noticed that the GPE ROMs are blazingly fast on my S4. In fact, in the next hour, I'll be releasing the 'Google Experience' ROM- it's based on Joe-Tech's GPE 4.4.4 for Safestrap and it's blazing fast on my phone.

However, I am not responsible for any damages your phone undergoes during the process of doing anything said, recommended, or even remotely implied in this post.

Best of luck!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GalaxyMasterI337 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd August 2014, 05:58 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

252 posts
More
Thanks for the feedback. I don't have much time to spend with custom ROMs though. I had CM9/11 on my old Nook and tried to get something running on an older HTC phone a couple months ago. Just don't have the time or patience to go through all that. I removed NILS and that seems to have helped, still doesn't seem quite as smooth as it should. I'll check out Du Speed Booster and 360 Clean Droid. Thanks!
Last edited by itesla; 22nd August 2014 at 06:04 PM.
22nd August 2014, 06:11 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

252 posts
More
After looking at 360 Clean Droid and comments, decided against that one. Du speed looks cool Also found Clean Master Phone Boost has 100million downloads (really?) and 4.7 rating. I just wonder about apps like these, they almost seem like scams. I was really hoping for more of some do's and dont's of how to disable some unnecessary Samsung/AT&T garbage that might be wasting throughput/RAM.
22nd August 2014, 08:13 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 70

84 posts
More
Oh, sorry. I don't know how to remove bloatware while on Android- I just use disxdas kitchen when making ROMs, so I just delete the apps in their folder and repackage it. I don't know about removing them while on Android though. But I know for a fact that if you Google around you'll find some guides for removing bloatware off of the S4.

Also, 360 is my personal favorite- but don't fall for their antivirus trap. All Android antivirus are usually in general scams. They're known to make fake alerts so you can buy premium features.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using XDA Free mobile app
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread