[Q] Unable to encrypt stock NC1 rooted device

29th July 2014, 08:12 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Houston
Thanks Meter: 2

19 posts
More
I'm unable to encrypt my Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-i337. I need to encrypt for work access. I'm currently running stock NC1 rooted using the steps here.

When I try to encrypt, I get through the confirmation steps, enter my password and select "Encrypt device." It immediately goes to a black screen with the Android encryption logo (attached), and then a few seconds later the phone reboots to my home/login screen. No encryption.

I've read through quite a few threads from people having similar problems. I'm aware of the problem with trying to install Safestrap on encrypted devices so I tried uninstalling Safestrap but that didn't help. I've also tried the following: retry right after boot, use Airplane mode, stop running apps, unfreeze bloatware, factory reset (tried both from within Android and from the stock recovery menu, both retains root). The only thing I haven't tried is unroot, but I've read that encryption should work with root.

Any other ideas? Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg encrypt.man_-e1346363400812.jpg - [Click for QR Code] (6.8 KB, 27 views)
29th July 2014, 11:08 PM   |  #2  
Flag Dayton, Ohio
Thanks Meter: 1,817

7,521 posts
More
I am wondering if you already installed SafeStrap it left any remnants on phone after uninstalling. You could Odin the NB1 tar and return to stock. Then do your encryption and then go to NC1 and retry towel root--
The Following User Says Thank You to rugmankc For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th July 2014, 02:55 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Houston
Thanks Meter: 2

19 posts
More
That worked! I installed NB1 through Odin and tried encryption again and this time it worked. I then applied the NC1 update in stock recovery, I lost encryption which I kind of expected, but I was able to encrypt again and then root with towelroot just fine. I'm all set. I guess the problem was with that NC1 rom I had installed before, it was supposed to be stock, but ran on top of MK2 and had root built in.

Thanks for your help.
The Following User Says Thank You to dwestall For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th July 2014, 03:32 PM   |  #4  
Flag Dayton, Ohio
Thanks Meter: 1,817

7,521 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwestall

That worked! I installed NB1 through Odin and tried encryption again and this time it worked. I then applied the NC1 update in stock recovery, I lost encryption which I kind of expected, but I was able to encrypt again and then root with towelroot just fine. I'm all set. I guess the problem was with that NC1 rom I had installed before, it was supposed to be stock, but ran on top of MK2 and had root built in.

Thanks for your help.

Glad you got it--
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread