Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,035 Members 41,281 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Factory reset question

Tip us?

kooduquestchin
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Factory reset question

I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 mini, and I would like to know if doing a factory reset clears everything including potential viruses and malware.

My question specifically is: Can a virus/malware hide itself in the set up directories (ie the directories or folders which have the set up files for the system) such that it evades deletion and comes back to life after the factory reset ?.

sasank360
Old
Thanks Meter 51
Factory reset removes all apps installed by you, the data of all apps(user+system) and clears cache. This process also includes removal of google account or any other that you added. AFAIK there are no viruses that infect android.Installing an apk file and granting root access to that may be dangerous if that has some bad script written in it. Play store is safe.
Anyway you can do a factory reset if you feel your phone is slow/ unresponsive. But if you really think you are virus infected then flash a stock rom via odin or go to samsung service center.

kooduquestchin
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Thanks Sasank360 for the reply but that does not answer the original question.

I just want to know if doing a factory reset would wipe out all potential viruses/malware ?. My point is, are the setup files/folders protected somehow that viruses can't get in there ?, or not ?. I mean if a virus or some kind of malware was able to get in with those setup files or folders then a factory reset would be useless, right ?.

sasank360
Old
Thanks Meter 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by kooduquestchin View Post
Thanks Sasank360 for the reply but that does not answer the original question.

I just want to know if doing a factory reset would wipe out all potential viruses/malware ?. My point is, are the setup files/folders protected somehow that viruses can't get in there ?, or not ?. I mean if a virus or some kind of malware was able to get in with those setup files or folders then a factory reset would be useless, right ?.
Perhaps I should have elaborated.
When you do factory reset you format DATA, CACHE, DALVIK partitions. System partition is untouched.
"""""" So if virus is on system partition then factory reset will be of no use. """""" - Answer to condition -1.
When You flash a stock ROM or any custom rom , the standard procedure includes wiping DATA , DALVIK , CACHE and SYSTEM partitions.
Since virus , if exists, resides only in above 4 partitions flashing stock/custom ROMs will remove that. Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to sasank360 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kooduquestchin
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasank360 View Post
Perhaps I should have elaborated.
When you do factory reset you format DATA, CACHE, DALVIK partitions. System partition is untouched.
"""""" So if virus is on system partition then factory reset will be of no use. """""" - Answer to condition -1.
When You flash a stock ROM or any custom rom , the standard procedure includes wiping DATA , DALVIK , CACHE and SYSTEM partitions.
Since virus , if exists, resides only in above 4 partitions flashing stock/custom ROMs will remove that. Good luck.
Thank you Sasank360 This does answer my question.

In that case, where would be a good site to get the stock/custom Rom for my Samsung s4 mini ?

The reason I mention custom Rom is because I would like to be able to get Root access also

sasank360
Old
Thanks Meter 51
Quote:
Thank you Sasank360 This does answer my question.

In that case, where would be a good site to get the stock/custom Rom for my Samsung s4 mini ?

The reason I mention custom Rom is because I would like to be able to get Root access also
Go to samsung-updates.com for samsung official stock roms without root access.
Custom roms are all over this community . Go to Android Dev and Original Android Dev sections and choose roms meant for your s4 mini.
Good luck

kooduquestchin
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Go to samsung-updates.com for samsung official stock roms without root access.
Custom roms are all over this community . Go to Android Dev and Original Android Dev sections and choose roms meant for your s4 mini.
Good luck
Thanks Sasank360, I've had a look at those two forums you mention and there are so many choices it's mind boggling . Are there any particular recommended Roms, I mean stable and secure but that would give root access ?.

Also, what is the difference between the Roms on the two forums you mentioned ?.

Thank you for your help

sasank360
Old
Thanks Meter 51
Quote:
Thanks Sasank360, I've had a look at those two forums you mention and there are so many choices it's mind boggling . Are there any particular recommended Roms, I mean stable and secure but that would give root access ?.

Also, what is the difference between the Roms on the two forums you mentioned ?.

Thank you for your help
Samsung-updates.com -- official samsung firmwares. Made by samsung for s4 mini. Out of them u need to choose the firmware for your country.

If you want customized rom made by our developers you must go to android dev and orig android dev sections of s4 mini.Custom ROMs always have root access. No need for u to worry about that. But before installing custom roms u must root your device. Things you need and steps are on above 2 sections of s4 mini xda page. Do a bit of research and you will be familiar with those procedures in no time. Good luck.

kooduquestchin
Old
(Last edited by kooduquestchin; 20th August 2014 at 03:59 PM.) Reason: more updated info
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Samsung-updates.com -- official samsung firmwares. Made by samsung for s4 mini. Out of them u need to choose the firmware for your country.

If you want customized rom made by our developers you must go to android dev and orig android dev sections of s4 mini.Custom ROMs always have root access. No need for u to worry about that. But before installing custom roms u must root your device. Things you need and steps are on above 2 sections of s4 mini xda page. Do a bit of research and you will be familiar with those procedures in no time. Good luck.
Thanks Sasank360. I downloaded a Stock ROM from sammobile.com (as I could not download from Samsung-updates.com; it's extremely slow and the download kept crashing).

I went through the motions with Odin3 v3.07 and it looked as if everything was going according to plan. However, Odin did not wipe out any of my apps or data unfortunately. Am I doing anything wrong ?

Edit: I just read that Odin does not necessarily wipe out data. So, I did a factory reset instead.

So can I assume that having flashed the phone to original stock, and doing a factory reset shortly afterwards, that there is no possibility of any virus/malware surviving on the phone ?