Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] Failed rooting of GT-I9195

OP helenst

25th August 2014, 11:43 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
2 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2014
I have been trying to root my Galaxy S4 Mini (GT-I9195). I successfully installed clockworkmod recovery (v6.0.4.6) and that seems fine... but I currently have an expensive brick after attempting to root. I've tried GT-I9195_RootKit_v2.zip and S4Mini_RootKit_v2.zip (I don't know the difference between these, they are very different sizes).

Whichever of the two files I use, the rooting appears successful, warranty is now void... install from sdcard complete... etc... but upon reboot it shows the initial screen (phone name & model, with "set warranty bit: kernel"), then screen goes black, startup noise plays (sometimes it cuts out before finishing) and then nothing. I've tried various cache wipes, data wipes / factory resets but no luck.

I'd appreciate any suggestions you may have.
25th August 2014, 05:58 PM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 50
 
217 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2012
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenst

I have been trying to root my Galaxy S4 Mini (GT-I9195). I successfully installed clockworkmod recovery (v6.0.4.6) and that seems fine... but I currently have an expensive brick after attempting to root. I've tried GT-I9195_RootKit_v2.zip and S4Mini_RootKit_v2.zip (I don't know the difference between these, they are very different sizes).

Whichever of the two files I use, the rooting appears successful, warranty is now void... install from sdcard complete... etc... but upon reboot it shows the initial screen (phone name & model, with "set warranty bit: kernel"), then screen goes black, startup noise plays (sometimes it cuts out before finishing) and then nothing. I've tried various cache wipes, data wipes / factory resets but no luck.

I'd appreciate any suggestions you may have.

you can try this,it works like a charm:http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1980683
25th August 2014, 06:13 PM   |  #3  
MarkAndroid.UK's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Bacup
Thanks Meter: 41
 
103 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenst

I have been trying to root my Galaxy S4 Mini (GT-I9195). I successfully installed clockworkmod recovery (v6.0.4.6) and that seems fine... but I currently have an expensive brick after attempting to root. I've tried GT-I9195_RootKit_v2.zip and S4Mini_RootKit_v2.zip (I don't know the difference between these, they are very different sizes).

Whichever of the two files I use, the rooting appears successful, warranty is now void... install from sdcard complete... etc... but upon reboot it shows the initial screen (phone name & model, with "set warranty bit: kernel"), then screen goes black, startup noise plays (sometimes it cuts out before finishing) and then nothing. I've tried various cache wipes, data wipes / factory resets but no luck.

I'd appreciate any suggestions you may have.

Which instructions did you follow to root because it should have been these? The GT-I9195_RootKit_V2 zip is not mentioned and should not be used. It sounds like you have wiped your ROM thus it has nothing to run after initial boot, so try to flash any of the ROM's available - don't ask which one is best, if you read some signatures you can see what some folks are using.
Last edited by MarkAndroid.UK; 25th August 2014 at 06:17 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkAndroid.UK For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th August 2014, 06:52 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
2 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkAndroid.UK

Which instructions did you follow to root because it should have been these? The GT-I9195_RootKit_V2 zip is not mentioned and should not be used. It sounds like you have wiped your ROM thus it has nothing to run after initial boot, so try to flash any of the ROM's available - don't ask which one is best, if you read some signatures you can see what some folks are using.

Thanks... easy now you've told me what's wrong! Was thinking I'd probably stick with the stock ROM but seeing as I've wiped that anyway, have stuck cyanogen on there and all good again.

I think I got the file from the instructions here... it was in one of the rar files. http://dottech.org/147716/how-root-s...all-cwm-guide/ - would've saved a bunch of time if I'd found the right instructions in the first place. Oh well, it's nice to have a phone again
25th August 2014, 07:04 PM   |  #5  
MarkAndroid.UK's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Bacup
Thanks Meter: 41
 
103 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenst

Thanks... easy now you've told me what's wrong! Was thinking I'd probably stick with the stock ROM but seeing as I've wiped that anyway, have stuck cyanogen on there and all good again.

I think I got the file from the instructions here... it was in one of the rar files. http://dottech.org/147716/how-root-s...all-cwm-guide/ - would've saved a bunch of time if I'd found the right instructions in the first place. Oh well, it's nice to have a phone again

Thats good, CM should be slicker and easier on the battery than stock (autobright actually works properly for example). If you need to go back to stock you can always find it on the sammobile site

I've never come across that web site you linked to. Best to use xda in all things Android

Last edited by MarkAndroid.UK; 25th August 2014 at 07:12 PM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes