Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,557 Members 46,378 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

System or Kernel chages cpu frequencies itself!!?

Tip us?

Sebastianm1989
Old
(Last edited by Sebastianm1989; 8th July 2014 at 06:05 PM.) Reason: Fault
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Exclamation System or Kernel chages cpu frequencies itself!!?

Hey guys,
i got a problem adjusting the cpu frequencies on my Galaxy S4 mini GT9195.
For example, i change it to 162mhz minimum and 1026mhz maximum and the smartassV2 govenor. Then that changes ramdomly to some weird frequencies automaticly and out of a sudden. Like 1458mhz minimum and maximum.

I use the cyanogenmod11 M7 rom and the f4ktion 1.5.0 Kernel (the cyanogen kernel does the same btw)

As App for adjusting i use the Kernel Tweaker, but even if i do it in the System settings its doing the same...
I did some undervolting, this stays as i set it.

I hope you guys can help me its annoying to check it every houre and see that it changed again and drains my battery

Sebastian

arco68
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 18936

DONATE TO ME
Devices using a modern qualcomm cpu, relies on two userspace daemons (mpdecision and thermald) to manage frequency and thermal throttling. So mpdecision takes care of the frequencies and cpu hot-plugging (when to engage additional cores or not), and thermald lowers the frequency if the temperature gets too high, in order to protect the cpu from overheating. This is not compatible with the frequency settings in CM or any third party app with similar functionality, as they will always override whatever you set there.
Haters gonna hate

~$ git revert
746865696e7465726e6574

GitHub
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arco68 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Sebastianm1989
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by arco68 View Post
Devices using a modern qualcomm cpu, relies on two userspace daemons (mpdecision and thermald) to manage frequency and thermal throttling. So mpdecision takes care of the frequencies and cpu hot-plugging (when to engage additional cores or not), and thermald lowers the frequency if the temperature gets too high, in order to protect the cpu from overheating. This is not compatible with the frequency settings in CM or any third party app with similar functionality, as they will always override whatever you set there.
I see.. Thanks for the answer mate, so there's no way to save battery like this? It just seems sometimes that it's stuck at some frequencies...

arco68
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 18936

DONATE TO ME
Well, you could make a custom boot image that disables those daemons, but it could cause more harm than good.
Haters gonna hate

~$ git revert
746865696e7465726e6574

GitHub
The Following User Says Thank You to arco68 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

luisbraz
Old
Thanks Meter 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastianm1989 View Post
Hey guys,
i got a problem adjusting the cpu frequencies on my Galaxy S4 mini GT9195.
For example, i change it to 162mhz minimum and 1026mhz maximum and the smartassV2 govenor. Then that changes ramdomly to some weird frequencies automaticly and out of a sudden. Like 1458mhz minimum and maximum.

I use the cyanogenmod11 M7 rom and the f4ktion 1.5.0 Kernel (the cyanogen kernel does the same btw)

As App for adjusting i use the Kernel Tweaker, but even if i do it in the System settings its doing the same...
I did some undervolting, this stays as i set it.

I hope you guys can help me its annoying to check it every houre and see that it changed again and drains my battery

Sebastian
f4ktion kernel 1.5.0 is not designed for M7. For M7 use 1.4.5.
I'm right now with nightly 0703, kernel 1.5.0, mpdecision disable and MSM Hotplug enable (performance control). With this settings that bug disapeared. 162 mhz - 1728 mhz; smartassh3; ROW.
In M7, and 1.4.5 kernel, the only governor that works with 162 mhz and don't change to 1458 mhz is the Ondemand.
Device: Samsung Galaxy S4 mini (GT-I9195)
Rom: CM11
The Following User Says Thank You to luisbraz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]