Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,276 Members 38,222 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Question about modems

Tip us?
 
LanderN
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 6
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Kluisbergen
Question [Q] Question about modems

Hello!

Lately, I have been seeing a lot of talk about modems (mainly in the CarbonRom thread). I never heard of updating them, altough I have experience with rooting/flashing new ROMs/installing custom recoveries on multiple devices.
I saw someone claiming that newer modems are usually better, they would give you better reception and call quality, as well as improving battery life.
So I was thinking if it would be any good if I would flash a new modem on my phone, the current version is I9195XUBMJ7.
Should I keep my current modem? Should I flash Modem-I9195XXUCNE6.tar or Modem-I9195XXUCNF7.tar? And if I do, would I notice any improvement?
I live in Belgium, if that makes any difference. I'm on a recent build of CarbonRom by F4K and my device is the LTE variant (I9195).

Can anyone enlighten me?
 
SilviuMik
Old
#2  
SilviuMik's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 673
Posts: 789
Join Date: Nov 2011

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanderN View Post
Hello!

Lately, I have been seeing a lot of talk about modems (mainly in the CarbonRom thread). I never heard of updating them, altough I have experience with rooting/flashing new ROMs/installing custom recoveries on multiple devices.
I saw someone claiming that newer modems are usually better, they would give you better reception and call quality, as well as improving battery life.
So I was thinking if it would be any good if I would flash a new modem on my phone, the current version is I9195XUBMJ7.
Should I keep my current modem? Should I flash Modem-I9195XXUCNE6.tar or Modem-I9195XXUCNF7.tar? And if I do, would I notice any improvement?
I live in Belgium, if that makes any difference. I'm on a recent build of CarbonRom by F4K and my device is the LTE variant (I9195).

Can anyone enlighten me?
Try to find a newer modem that is used in official firmware in your country
Or if not in your country at least close, that will give u better results
Phone: GT-I9192 Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini Duos
ROM: Stock 4.4.2 PDA: I9192XXUCNG2 / CSC: I9192ROMCNG2 / MODEM: I9192XXUCNG2
Kernel: Custom
Recovery: Stock / Twrp
 
Flatric
Old
#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 12
Posts: 108
Join Date: Aug 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilviuMik View Post
Try to find a newer modem that is used in official firmware in your country
Or if not in your country at least close, that will give u better results
Where can I find newer/the newest Modem? And can I flash it with Odin and use it with Liquid Smooth for example?
 
SilviuMik
Old
#4  
SilviuMik's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 673
Posts: 789
Join Date: Nov 2011

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatric View Post
Where can I find newer/the newest Modem? And can I flash it with Odin and use it with Liquid Smooth for example?
Look on sammobile.com then extract modem only, arhive it as tar then md5, and flash with Odin 3.10 as "CP"
Phone: GT-I9192 Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini Duos
ROM: Stock 4.4.2 PDA: I9192XXUCNG2 / CSC: I9192ROMCNG2 / MODEM: I9192XXUCNG2
Kernel: Custom
Recovery: Stock / Twrp
 
LanderN
Old
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 6
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Kluisbergen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatric View Post
Where can I find newer/the newest Modem? And can I flash it with Odin and use it with Liquid Smooth for example?
This thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2545784 gives you the modem files directly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilviuMik View Post
Look on sammobile.com then extract modem only, arhive it as tar then md5, and flash with Odin 3.10 as "CP"
The thread gives another way of flashing the modem, are both correct? Is there a way to make a backup of the modem in case all goes wrong?
 
SilviuMik
Old
#6  
SilviuMik's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 673
Posts: 789
Join Date: Nov 2011

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanderN View Post
This thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2545784 gives you the modem files directly.


The thread gives another way of flashing the modem, are both correct? Is there a way to make a backup of the modem in case all goes wrong?
U can flash with any version of Odin
Odin 3.10 worked great for me.
No u can`t backup your modem, if anything goes wrong apply my method above and download a stock rom and take NON-HLOS.bin
Linux:
Code:
unzip *.zip
tar -xvf *.tar.md5
tar -v -H ustar -c NON-HLOS.bin > modem.tar
md5sum -t modem.tar >> modem.tar
mv modem.tar modem.tar.md5
Windows
TAR_MD5_PACKAGER
Extract rom with WinRar/7-Zip place ONLY NON-HLOS.bin inside that program, arhive it as tar and then md5 it. Flash it with Odin
Phone: GT-I9192 Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini Duos
ROM: Stock 4.4.2 PDA: I9192XXUCNG2 / CSC: I9192ROMCNG2 / MODEM: I9192XXUCNG2
Kernel: Custom
Recovery: Stock / Twrp
 
LanderN
Old
#7  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 6
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Kluisbergen
Thanks for your answers! Really appreciate it!

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes