CyanogenMod 12.1 for YU Yureka

YU Yureka recently received an official Cyanogen OS 12S update. If you prefer to use a newer revision of … more

Open War for Open Android: Antitrust for Cyanogen?

Android and openness is something we talk about all the time, but the recent … more

What Do You Do with All of Your Old Photos?

Smartphone cameras have advanced so tremendously over the past few years that they have … more

Diving into the April 2015 Material Design Update

Before the release of Android 5.0 Lollipop, the Holo Design guidelines served as the … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

[Q] Question about modems

12th August 2014, 12:44 PM |#1  
LanderN's Avatar
OP Member
Flag Kluisbergen
Thanks Meter: 22
 
48 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2014
Donate to Me
More
Hello!

Lately, I have been seeing a lot of talk about modems (mainly in the CarbonRom thread). I never heard of updating them, altough I have experience with rooting/flashing new ROMs/installing custom recoveries on multiple devices.
I saw someone claiming that newer modems are usually better, they would give you better reception and call quality, as well as improving battery life.
So I was thinking if it would be any good if I would flash a new modem on my phone, the current version is I9195XUBMJ7.
Should I keep my current modem? Should I flash Modem-I9195XXUCNE6.tar or Modem-I9195XXUCNF7.tar? And if I do, would I notice any improvement?
I live in Belgium, if that makes any difference. I'm on a recent build of CarbonRom by F4K and my device is the LTE variant (I9195).

Can anyone enlighten me?
 
 
12th August 2014, 01:06 PM |#2  
SilviuMik's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 929
 
1,062 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanderN

Hello!

Lately, I have been seeing a lot of talk about modems (mainly in the CarbonRom thread). I never heard of updating them, altough I have experience with rooting/flashing new ROMs/installing custom recoveries on multiple devices.
I saw someone claiming that newer modems are usually better, they would give you better reception and call quality, as well as improving battery life.
So I was thinking if it would be any good if I would flash a new modem on my phone, the current version is I9195XUBMJ7.
Should I keep my current modem? Should I flash Modem-I9195XXUCNE6.tar or Modem-I9195XXUCNF7.tar? And if I do, would I notice any improvement?
I live in Belgium, if that makes any difference. I'm on a recent build of CarbonRom by F4K and my device is the LTE variant (I9195).

Can anyone enlighten me?

Try to find a newer modem that is used in official firmware in your country
Or if not in your country at least close, that will give u better results
12th August 2014, 01:27 PM |#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 63
 
342 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2013
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilviuMik

Try to find a newer modem that is used in official firmware in your country
Or if not in your country at least close, that will give u better results

Where can I find newer/the newest Modem? And can I flash it with Odin and use it with Liquid Smooth for example?
12th August 2014, 01:32 PM |#4  
SilviuMik's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 929
 
1,062 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatric

Where can I find newer/the newest Modem? And can I flash it with Odin and use it with Liquid Smooth for example?

Look on sammobile.com then extract modem only, arhive it as tar then md5, and flash with Odin 3.10 as "CP"
12th August 2014, 05:51 PM |#5  
LanderN's Avatar
OP Member
Flag Kluisbergen
Thanks Meter: 22
 
48 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2014
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatric

Where can I find newer/the newest Modem? And can I flash it with Odin and use it with Liquid Smooth for example?

This thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2545784 gives you the modem files directly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilviuMik

Look on sammobile.com then extract modem only, arhive it as tar then md5, and flash with Odin 3.10 as "CP"

The thread gives another way of flashing the modem, are both correct? Is there a way to make a backup of the modem in case all goes wrong?
12th August 2014, 05:58 PM |#6  
SilviuMik's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 929
 
1,062 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanderN

This thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2545784 gives you the modem files directly.


The thread gives another way of flashing the modem, are both correct? Is there a way to make a backup of the modem in case all goes wrong?

U can flash with any version of Odin
Odin 3.10 worked great for me.
No u can`t backup your modem, if anything goes wrong apply my method above and download a stock rom and take NON-HLOS.bin
Linux:
Code:
unzip *.zip
tar -xvf *.tar.md5
tar -v -H ustar -c NON-HLOS.bin > modem.tar
md5sum -t modem.tar >> modem.tar
mv modem.tar modem.tar.md5
Windows
TAR_MD5_PACKAGER
Extract rom with WinRar/7-Zip place ONLY NON-HLOS.bin inside that program, arhive it as tar and then md5 it. Flash it with Odin
13th August 2014, 01:08 PM |#7  
LanderN's Avatar
OP Member
Flag Kluisbergen
Thanks Meter: 22
 
48 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2014
Donate to Me
More
Thanks for your answers! Really appreciate it!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes