Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,557 Members 53,304 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Ultra Power Saving Mode

Tip us?
 
rmiguel320
Old
#1  
rmiguel320's Avatar
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 19
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Portugal
Plug [Q] Ultra Power Saving Mode

hi.
Anyone know if it's possible to have the Ultra Power Saving mode of s5, in our s4mini.
Devices: Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini (GT-I9195) Black Edition // Tab 2 P3110
Rom: Stock 4.2.2 // Stock 4.2.2
 
marki555
Old
#2  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 11
Join Date: Jul 2014
Ultra power saving was presented as HW feature, so I guess it is not possible on our s4 minis.
 
TNCS
Old
#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 68
Posts: 284
Join Date: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by marki555 View Post
Ultra power saving was presented as HW feature, so I guess it is not possible on our s4 minis.
Where did you get that information? It just a bunch of software implementation that forces touchwiz to be more battery friendly by disabling bunch of things (which is the reason what makes TW bloat and slow in the first place), more noticeably everything renders in greyscale which is taking advantage on how AMOLED works.
 
XxM4tzexX
Old
#4  
XxM4tzexX's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 72
Posts: 492
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Neuwied, GER
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNCS View Post
Where did you get that information? It just a bunch of software implementation that forces touchwiz to be more battery friendly by disabling bunch of things (which is the reason what makes TW bloat and slow in the first place), more noticeably everything renders in greyscale which is taking advantage on how AMOLED works.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...4mini-t2814658
 
TNCS
Old
#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 68
Posts: 284
Join Date: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxM4tzexX View Post
And that post just indicate what I said earlier - bunch of software implementation, like any other supposedly feature such as eye tracking that few people think it a 'hardware' feature.
 
XxM4tzexX
Old
#6  
XxM4tzexX's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 72
Posts: 492
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Neuwied, GER
Yes but the hardware implementation makes it impossible to port. We don't have the source code to implement anything ☺
 
marki555
Old
#7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 11
Join Date: Jul 2014
It seems you are right, it is only SW. For example here is Ultra Power saving for Note3: http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...-mode-t2814113
However I still can't see why greyscale display would mean any power saving - you still need to turn on all R/G/B AMOLED sub-pixels to get white/grey. The only possible power save would be turning the GPU into "greyscale" which would mean that the GPU has to do less calculations. But then there is question if also our GPU supports such greyscale mode.
 
TNCS
Old
#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 68
Posts: 284
Join Date: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by marki555 View Post
It seems you are right, it is only SW. For example here is Ultra Power saving for Note3: http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...-mode-t2814113
However I still can't see why greyscale display would mean any power saving - you still need to turn on all R/G/B AMOLED sub-pixels to get white/grey. The only possible power save would be turning the GPU into "greyscale" which would mean that the GPU has to do less calculations. But then there is question if also our GPU supports such greyscale mode.
To render in gery scale, again, it software. The GPU will render whatever the software tell to. As to why it saves power - AMOLED as people know has a very low power consumption if the display area is black (or near black). To render stuff in grey scale will simply increase the chance of display more 'black or blackish' images, hence improve battery.

I'm no developer, but simply read as regarding what UPS does - and I see nothing that can't be done if software allows to. Which most custom ROMs or additional app can do. UPS in my opinion is try to let end-user has a taste of what custom ROM/root app can do by giving them a pre-defined set of environments. Eg. limite the number of software allows in background, throttle CPU/GPU speed (too many app can do this), etc and of course the grey-scale thing. Sure custom ROMs can't do that yet, but most custom ROM has option to turn the menu to holo black - which is achieving SOME power saving.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Device Review: Samsung Gear Live

Recently, Google announced Android Wear to the world. Android Wear is the Android-based initiative from … more

Forums Added for the Nvidia Shield Tablet and Sharp Aquos Crystal

Just a few days ago, wetook an in depth look at theNvidia Shield Tabletand … more

[OTA Captured] Android 4.4.3 Lands on European HTC One M7

The secound release of the Android L Developer Previewmay be the new hotness for … more

Take a Perfectly Stable Shot with Open Camera

The camera app on our Android smartphones and tablets isn’t something we focus on all … more