Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,641 Members 44,012 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Ultra Power Saving Mode

Tip us?

rmiguel320
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Plug [Q] Ultra Power Saving Mode

hi.
Anyone know if it's possible to have the Ultra Power Saving mode of s5, in our s4mini.
Devices: Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini (GT-I9195) Black Edition // Tab 2 P3110
Rom: Stock 4.2.2 // Stock 4.2.2

marki555
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Ultra power saving was presented as HW feature, so I guess it is not possible on our s4 minis.

TNCS
Old
Thanks Meter 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by marki555 View Post
Ultra power saving was presented as HW feature, so I guess it is not possible on our s4 minis.
Where did you get that information? It just a bunch of software implementation that forces touchwiz to be more battery friendly by disabling bunch of things (which is the reason what makes TW bloat and slow in the first place), more noticeably everything renders in greyscale which is taking advantage on how AMOLED works.

XxM4tzexX
Old
Thanks Meter 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNCS View Post
Where did you get that information? It just a bunch of software implementation that forces touchwiz to be more battery friendly by disabling bunch of things (which is the reason what makes TW bloat and slow in the first place), more noticeably everything renders in greyscale which is taking advantage on how AMOLED works.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...4mini-t2814658

TNCS
Old
Thanks Meter 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxM4tzexX View Post
And that post just indicate what I said earlier - bunch of software implementation, like any other supposedly feature such as eye tracking that few people think it a 'hardware' feature.

XxM4tzexX
Old
Thanks Meter 74
Yes but the hardware implementation makes it impossible to port. We don't have the source code to implement anything ☺

marki555
Old
Thanks Meter 1
It seems you are right, it is only SW. For example here is Ultra Power saving for Note3: http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...-mode-t2814113
However I still can't see why greyscale display would mean any power saving - you still need to turn on all R/G/B AMOLED sub-pixels to get white/grey. The only possible power save would be turning the GPU into "greyscale" which would mean that the GPU has to do less calculations. But then there is question if also our GPU supports such greyscale mode.

TNCS
Old
Thanks Meter 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by marki555 View Post
It seems you are right, it is only SW. For example here is Ultra Power saving for Note3: http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...-mode-t2814113
However I still can't see why greyscale display would mean any power saving - you still need to turn on all R/G/B AMOLED sub-pixels to get white/grey. The only possible power save would be turning the GPU into "greyscale" which would mean that the GPU has to do less calculations. But then there is question if also our GPU supports such greyscale mode.
To render in gery scale, again, it software. The GPU will render whatever the software tell to. As to why it saves power - AMOLED as people know has a very low power consumption if the display area is black (or near black). To render stuff in grey scale will simply increase the chance of display more 'black or blackish' images, hence improve battery.

I'm no developer, but simply read as regarding what UPS does - and I see nothing that can't be done if software allows to. Which most custom ROMs or additional app can do. UPS in my opinion is try to let end-user has a taste of what custom ROM/root app can do by giving them a pre-defined set of environments. Eg. limite the number of software allows in background, throttle CPU/GPU speed (too many app can do this), etc and of course the grey-scale thing. Sure custom ROMs can't do that yet, but most custom ROM has option to turn the menu to holo black - which is achieving SOME power saving.