FORUMS

Which OEM Would You Like to Help?

Most manufacturers have moments of greatness and moments of decadence, and in the past few years … more

Root T-Mobile S6/Edge on 5.1.1 Without Tripping Knox

If you purchase phones from a carrier, you may be no stranger to the difficulties … more

IonVR Coming Soon, HTC M9 Dev Edition Gets Android 5.1 – XDA TV

The HTC M9 Developer Edition has received Android 5.1. That and … more

Android 5.1.1 Omni ROM For Motorola Xoom

Back in Feb 2011, the Motorola Xoom became the first device to be sold with Android 3.0 … more

Nokia Here Map GPS/SATNAV (True offline)

329 posts
Thanks Meter: 88

By TNCS, Senior Member on 22nd October 2014, 10:24 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Hardest part for me when transiting from Nokia to... Well I have both iOS device and Android, one of the major downside for me was the awesome GPS - for free, worldwide, and truly offline. For those who want to dispute on Here Map - Nokia acquired Navteq back in 07 (I think?), which provides mapping data for Garmin and most of the European in-car GPS system. Out of the country I travel Here Map also has better POI compared to Google Maps in general. It truely offline, you can download selected country (or city, if offers) entirely and after without being on the internet (huge problem in some country if their internet is slow/expensive roaming). Today I'm finally excited that Nokia has announced it will be available for ALL Android devices: http://here.com/beta/android/?lang=en-US

It still in Beta, but so far running smooth on my S3 (modded TW JB ROM) and S4 Mini (Slimrom). It now only the PureView camera left that would still makes me think of Lumia... You guys definitely should give it a try.

PS. For the Lumia fanboys - I had a 1020, returned it within a month. I have no idea how you guys manage to stand it, but Windows on desktop is already troublesome for me. I don't want it in my pocket too.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update: Nokia has officially pushed the app to Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...app.maps&hl=en

The new version solved some SD card location mapping problem. It just gets better.
Last edited by TNCS; 29th January 2015 at 09:50 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TNCS For This Useful Post: [ View ]

22nd October 2014, 06:01 PM |#2  
Flag Bristol
Thanks Meter: 75

More
Thanks for the heads up, looks good so far.
24th October 2014, 07:23 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Nokia Here Map
Hi!!

great file, thanks
27th January 2015, 11:09 PM |#4  
Flag Auckland
Thanks Meter: 34

More
Thumbs up Thank you
Thank you very much for sharing this, I have just turned an old (not so old) Samsung Galaxy Trend Plus into a pure GPS only Nav. Would never have though of that with out you sharing this. Will be testing it out later today with the New Zealand Offline Maps. Well report back on how it goes.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread