FORUMS

XDA Picks: Best Apps of the Week (Apr 17 – 24)

Apps are at the front and center of any smartphone experience, and with over a … more

Glimpse Notifications: Easier Lockscreen Notifications

Lollipop brought a revamp to the lockscreen, taking away custom widgets but … more

What Are the Best Looking Apps on Android?

As more developers are updating their apps with Material Design elements, we’re … more

Cyngn Explained: Who’s Cyanogen, What’s Cyanogen OS?

While Cyanogen, Inc has been the source of many headlines lately, there … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

[ROM][NG2] Stock Rooted NG2 | Stock Rooted NG2 Refitted | Mostly Stock NG2 v1.3

22nd April 2015, 02:37 PM |#471  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Never could get this setup to work. Everytime I downloaded and installed the NG2 kernel / modem / ROM, it flipped out. Lost sounds and started glitching. So I reverted clear back to stock MF9, and let the phone do OTA updates. Now I'm on NG2 stock and working fine. However, I need root, hotspot mod, and de-bloat. Wondering if I should try and root and apply a hotspot mod myself, or try to flash the ROM again now that I'm clearly up to date and clean. I'm sure it'll trigger Knox either way, but at this point I don't really care either. I just don't want it screwed up to where I can't go back to where I'm at now.
The Following User Says Thank You to gpshemi For This Useful Post: [ View ]

22nd April 2015, 02:44 PM |#472  
Recognized Developer
Flag Garrett, IN
Thanks Meter: 32,650

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshemi

Never could get this setup to work. Everytime I downloaded and installed the NG2 kernel / modem / ROM, it flipped out. Lost sounds and started glitching. So I reverted clear back to stock MF9, and let the phone do OTA updates. Now I'm on NG2 stock and working fine. However, I need root, hotspot mod, and de-bloat. Wondering if I should try and root and apply a hotspot mod myself, or try to flash the ROM again now that I'm clearly up to date and clean. I'm sure it'll trigger Knox either way, but at this point I don't really care either. I just don't want it screwed up to where I can't go back to where I'm at now.

Odin could have done that to begin with, but yes you can always Odin the NG2 tar to get back to where you're at. Installing a custom recovery triggers Knox but unless you're planning on sending it to Samsung, who cares? Sprint replaced my Knox tripped S3, no questions asked.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bilgerryan For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd April 2015, 02:50 PM |#473  

More
It's out of warranty, and will never go back to Samsung or Sprint. I'm up for a replacement in 100 days anyway. So S6 is my next step I'm sure. I don't care about knox, I just know I can't get to where I'm at with the original stock MF9.exe I used. My understanding is you can't go backwards now.

I never really figured out why this did't work for me, so I'm hoping it's only as simple as Odin in the tar file like you say. I'm not so sure. LOL. I know it's not from a dirty flash though. That I was sure of.

Think I should flash this refitted over what I've got now? I'd have to Odin in a recovery first though...hmmm...
22nd April 2015, 04:27 PM |#474  
Recognized Developer
Flag Garrett, IN
Thanks Meter: 32,650

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshemi

It's out of warranty, and will never go back to Samsung or Sprint. I'm up for a replacement in 100 days anyway. So S6 is my next step I'm sure. I don't care about knox, I just know I can't get to where I'm at with the original stock MF9.exe I used. My understanding is you can't go backwards now.

I never really figured out why this did't work for me, so I'm hoping it's only as simple as Odin in the tar file like you say. I'm not so sure. LOL. I know it's not from a dirty flash though. That I was sure of.

Think I should flash this refitted over what I've got now? I'd have to Odin in a recovery first though...hmmm...

Correct, you can't go backwards now. All Samsung Kit Kat ROMs require you to be on the KitKat firmware (bootloader) to load.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bilgerryan For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd April 2015, 03:17 PM |#475  

More
So can anyone confirm that the best thing to do here is odin philz and then flash refitted with that?
23rd April 2015, 04:23 PM |#476  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
That should work just fine for you. I prefer twrp but philz should work just fine for you.

Odin the custom recovery of your choice. Make sure force reset and auto reboot are unchecked.

Once it passes, unplug your phone and manually reboot to recovery.

Do a full wipe, flash refitted, and wipe cache/dalvik before rebooting.

You should be good to go after that!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using XDA Free mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to koivth For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd April 2015, 04:37 PM |#477  

More
Thanks. Hope this works this time now that I'm up to date for sure with the factory OTA NG2 4.4.2!!!
Augh.
23rd April 2015, 10:23 PM |#478  

More
It works!! Tripped knox of course, but I don't care about that. Thanks for all the help everyone. Not sure on my issues before, but it's working now. Rooted, Hotspot, threw in Ti Backup and de-bloated it some too.

On Edit: Only thing not working is the auto-rotate feature. It's stuck for some reason. Tested gyro...that's working. pulled battery several times in different modes. Still no go. Just got the phone set up and working great, but might have to do a factory reset. sigh...always something.
Last edited by gpshemi; Yesterday at 12:41 PM. Reason: EDIT UPDATE
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ng2
Previous Thread Next Thread