Tested Roms on SPH-L720T

Search This thread

easyrider77

Dec 3, 2009
Just FYI I found a rom that works on sh-l720t called echoe. Only thing that I found does not work is gps sadly :(.

It's for the i9505 phones but I found one the works on this phone.

Have not had a chance to check blue tooth or wifi yet but the rest runs flawless.

It is completely s5 oriented so it has pretty much everything s5 including settings, quick toggles , recents, the works. Runs VERY smooth and snappy.

Some have reported no working gps and that's exactly the issue I am having.

There is a work around for the 4G lte/data not sticking or staying in issue. I have working data and it stays on instead of losing it all the time.

For anyone with some knowledge about roms, have a question for you all. I have looked and found some threads about "how to port a rom over for your device/phone". I'm curious if I decided to tackle this task, would this work for maybe fixing the gps or wifi or data to work correctly on this phone. Ie: instead of being for the i9505 it would be for the sph-l720t phones in turn gps and such would work correctly?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

cyrusalmighty

May 30, 2009
Hartford
Just FYI I found a rom that works on sh-l720t called echoe. Only thing that I found does not work is gps sadly :(.

It's for the i9505 phones but I found one the works on this phone.

Have not had a chance to check blue tooth or wifi yet but the rest runs flawless.

It is completely s5 oriented so it has pretty much everything s5 including settings, quick toggles , recents, the works. Runs VERY smooth and snappy.

Some have reported no working gps and that's exactly the issue I am having.

There is a work around for the 4G lte/data not sticking or staying in issue. I have working data and it stays on instead of losing it all the time.

For anyone with some knowledge about roms, have a question for you all. I have looked and found some threads about "how to port a rom over for your device/phone". I'm curious if I decided to tackle this task, would this work for maybe fixing the gps or wifi or data to work correctly on this phone. Ie: instead of being for the i9505 it would be for the sph-l720t phones in turn gps and such would work correctly?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Free mobile app

Have you tried different modem or baseband? That is usually what fixes or breaks gps, bluetooth, and wifi. Maybe someone can make kernelmodules.zip? Did you try another kernel?
Edit* try ktoonez kernel if you havent already. I got gps wifi and bluetooth fixed on Sacs v3 4.4 after I flashed that.

Last edited:

easyrider77

Dec 3, 2009
Have you tried different modem or baseband? That is usually what fixes or breaks gps, bluetooth, and wifi. Maybe someone can make kernelmodules.zip? Did you try another kernel?
Edit* try ktoonez kernel if you havent already. I got gps wifi and bluetooth fixed on Sacs v3 4.4 after I flashed that.

I haven't tried either. I will try the kenel first then the baseband/modem.
I wasn't sure about the modem part.

Just a question though.I know on the s3 once you flash to kk, you can not flash anything that has to deal with the bootloader at all ie: flashing something 4.3 bootloader, or it will brick the phone.

How exatly does it work with the s4?
-Am I safe to flash any modem? If not what modem is safe to flash, and is it flashd through recovery or Odin?
-Can I flash a 4.3 ROM and be safe to use it?

Sorry for the questions its been awhile since I flashed and I wanna be doubly sure I don't brick.

Update:
Kernel didn't fix anything, so I need to flash a modem. Only thing I can find is nc6 but it's in a zip and is a bin file.
I tried to flash the bin with odin but odin didn't find the file at all. Also tried flashing it in recovery, didn't work either.
So how would in flash the modem via recovery or odin? I can use either way just not sure how at this point.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

cyrusalmighty

May 30, 2009
Hartford
I haven't tried either. I will try the kenel first then the baseband/modem.
I wasn't sure about the modem part.

Just a question though.I know on the s3 once you flash to kk, you can not flash anything that has to deal with the bootloader at all ie: flashing something 4.3 bootloader, or it will brick the phone.

How exatly does it work with the s4?
-Am I safe to flash any modem? If not what modem is safe to flash, and is it flashd through recovery or Odin?
-Can I flash a 4.3 ROM and be safe to use it?

Sorry for the questions its been awhile since I flashed and I wanna be doubly sure I don't brick.

Update:
Kernel didn't fix anything, so I need to flash a modem. Only thing I can find is nc6 but it's in a zip and is a bin file.
I tried to flash the bin with odin but odin didn't find the file at all. Also tried flashing it in recovery, didn't work either.
So how would in flash the modem via recovery or odin? I can use either way just not sure how at this point.

In odin 3.09 can you flash modem in CP slot? Or did you already try that? I dont know how to make that flashable in recovery yet. It may be possible but I dont know. Let me look around

easyrider77

Dec 3, 2009
In odin 3.09 can you flash modem in CP slot? Or did you already try that? I dont know how to make that flashable in recovery yet. It may be possible but I dont know. Let me look around

Well actually I found a rom that works and is s5 based. Sacs rom, I think I'm using version 8. But I'm messing with trying to get the s5 settings.apk file to work with this rom. I've tried 2 s5 settings.apk files and one fc on display>brightness setting and the other fc on the sound>volume setting.

Right now I'm looking for a systemUI.apk file from someone who is on stock ng5 rooted to copy it and possibly host it, if some would be so kind.

cyrusalmighty

May 30, 2009
Hartford
Well actually I found a rom that works and is s5 based. Sacs rom, I think I'm using version 8. But I'm messing with trying to get the s5 settings.apk file to work with this rom. I've tried 2 s5 settings.apk files and one fc on display>brightness setting and the other fc on the sound>volume setting.

Right now I'm looking for a systemUI.apk file from someone who is on stock ng5 rooted to copy it and possibly host it, if some would be so kind.

Yes I noticed that many of the rom developers that have an S5 based rom have problems with the secsettings.apk. And It is harder making any rom work for the tri-band Sprint. It seems like there arent any seperate modems or kernelmodules around to flash to fix gps bluetooth and wifi if it gets broken. I guess its hit or miss with the roms for this variant. I put Sacs V3 4.4 on my wifes Sph-l720 with no problem but I tried it on my friends Sph-L720T and I couldnt get it working right. I havent even seen V8. Do you have some screenshots by any chance?

easyrider77

Dec 3, 2009
Yes I noticed that many of the rom developers that have an S5 based rom have problems with the secsettings.apk. And It is harder making any rom work for the tri-band Sprint. It seems like there arent any seperate modems or kernelmodules around to flash to fix gps bluetooth and wifi if it gets broken. I guess its hit or miss with the roms for this variant. I put Sacs V3 4.4 on my wifes Sph-l720 with no problem but I tried it on my friends Sph-L720T and I couldnt get it working right. I havent even seen V8. Do you have some screenshots by any chance?

Yeah seems to be that way. I've only found 2 s5 roms for this phone. Echoe and sacs.
Echoe is pretty much full s5 where as sacs is only partial s5, which is bit misleading in the description, because the settings are still so so it's not "full" s5. I appreciate the effort the mods put into their roms just don't advertise it as a general phrase as s5.....maybe put partial s5, that would make more sense.
Echoe rom is truly full s5, settings and all, and works pretty much flawless except for 2 issues, GPS doesn't work and data seems to fade on and off. Aside from that it's really nice.

I'd use tw if the s4 had that s5 layout. I really like it.

I seriously doubt the s4 will see much attention being as how old it is so I don't well ever see an s5 for this phone, unless someone ways to take the time and patience to teach me to port over Echoe rom to work on this phone....... don't see that happening either.

I'll just have to be happy with carbon Tom for now.

My ideal concept would be as follows :

-Online so you can access it without any install of software.

What it would do is have a database which of course would be huge because it would have all the makes and models and firmware database of the most popular phones out from like the s2/s3 year wise and up..... So what 4-5 yrs back, beyond that the companies drop support anyways I think. With that it would include the GPS, data, WiFi, bluetooth, etc configurations.
From that you could have do down boxes to choose your make, model, firmware version.
Also have a database of like mods or tweaks or apps you wanted to inject in the rom.
Once you have that then you make a section to have the look you desire, ie: s5, LG, sense, etc.
Once you chose everything have it compile a it online and put a download link to a flashable file.

With this you could essentially have base builds of said phone and then theme it to look as you wanted. So with said base you could make your device look like a LG, s5, etc.

This would of course be limited as tw has features the LG does not and vice versa but the base stuff would have the look and function stuff like settings and quick toggles and such.

I'm in no way a programmer so I'm not sure this can be done, that why I said concept, because if I was I'd be porting over an s5 rom for this phone :)

On a side note, I don't recall seeing many if at all tw roms for this phone, and aosp roms are pretty limited as well.

Kinda sad the s3 has more rom selection than this phone does it seems.

Last edited:
Reactions: cyrusalmighty

cyrusalmighty

May 30, 2009
Hartford
Yeah seems to be that way. I've only found 2 s5 roms for this phone. Echoe and sacs.
Echoe is pretty much full s5 where as sacs is only partial s5, which is bit misleading in the description, because the settings are still so so it's not "full" s5. I appreciate the effort the mods put into their roms just don't advertise it as a general phrase as s5.....maybe put partial s5, that would make more sense.
Echoe rom is truly full s5, settings and all, and works pretty much flawless except for 2 issues, GPS doesn't work and data seems to fade on and off. Aside from that it's really nice.

I'd use tw if the s4 had that s5 layout. I really like it.

I seriously doubt the s4 will see much attention being as how old it is so I don't well ever see an s5 for this phone, unless someone ways to take the time and patience to teach me to port over Echoe rom to work on this phone....... don't see that happening either.

I'll just have to be happy with carbon Tom for now.

My ideal concept would be as follows :

-Online so you can access it without any install of software.

What it would do is have a database which of course would be huge because it would have all the makes and models and firmware database of the most popular phones out from like the s2/s3 year wise and up..... So what 4-5 yrs back, beyond that the companies drop support anyways I think. With that it would include the GPS, data, WiFi, bluetooth, etc configurations.
From that you could have do down boxes to choose your make, model, firmware version.
Also have a database of like mods or tweaks or apps you wanted to inject in the rom.
Once you have that then you make a section to have the look you desire, ie: s5, LG, sense, etc.
Once you chose everything have it compile a it online and put a download link to a flashable file.

With this you could essentially have base builds of said phone and then theme it to look as you wanted. So with said base you could make your device look like a LG, s5, etc.

This would of course be limited as tw has features the LG does not and vice versa but the base stuff would have the look and function stuff like settings and quick toggles and such.

I'm in no way a programmer so I'm not sure this can be done, that why I said concept, because if I was I'd be porting over an s5 rom for this phone :)

On a side note, I don't recall seeing many if at all tw roms for this phone, and aosp roms are pretty limited as well.

Kinda sad the s3 has more rom selection than this phone does it seems.

Your idea makes sense but that would be a lot to pack into one zip.lol. I doubt it will work for the Sprjnt variants, but you should check out Chaos rom from international S4 forum. That rom has a beautiful Aroma installer with VR theming and mods. Hyperdrive also has great customization and options for different carriers but I dont remember any for Sprint unfortunately.

Anyways, if you download either of those roms you can see the options. Hyperdrive has kernelmodules and carrier specific things that are installed to make the rom work on either AT&T, Tmobile and even Verizon.

As far as the LG, Motorola, Iphone, Meizu, S4, S5, and other themes there is an S5 launcher that has "Set theme" option but again, Im not sure if it works for Sprint variant. Just another idea you may want to check out if you havent seen it yet. You can see it here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2711245
Edit*I juat reread your post and I realize your idea was Online and not all options in one zip file.:sly::D:D

Last edited:

easyrider77

Dec 3, 2009
Chaos looks sweet. Anyone every try this on sprint phone?

What would happen if I even tried it, would it brick the phone? If so can I just Odin back the official firmware and be OK? I've never rooted and had to reflash firmware before so I'm also curious what happens in that scenario, would re-flashing official stock firmware on an already rooted phone brick it?

These past few days I have flashed a ton of stuff so it won't be a big deal to flash again.

Kinda sucks really, there's a buttload of choices for the international phones but we sprint people get no love :(.

Last edited:

cyrusalmighty

May 30, 2009
Hartford
Chaos looks sweet. Anyone every try this on sprint phone?

What would happen if I even tried it, would it brick the phone? If so can I just Odin back the official firmware and be OK? I've never rooted and had to reflash firmware before so I'm also curious what happens in that scenario, would re-flashing official stock firmware on an already rooted phone brick it?

These past few days I have flashed a ton of stuff so it won't be a big deal to flash again.

Kinda sucks really, there's a buttload of choices for the international phones but we sprint people get no love :(.

You need to take a BACKUP of your phone with a custom recovery (and make sure you check the BOOT option in backup). Then you should be able to try most roms and if they dont work you can RESTORE the backup you made. Make sure the backup saves to external SD in case the rom wipes the internal where cwm/twrp may be set to backup to.

And "IF" a backup does not boot for some reason then you would have to flash a Stock FW with ODIN. I really dont see how you could brick a phone with a unlocked bootloader since ODIN and FW are now available to download. I guess there must be ways to brick but I think we are very safe with the unlocked bootloader.

Thats what sucks about AT&T/Verizon S4 is that we have to use safestrap since we have locked bootloader. But thank God for us having Safestrap or we wouldnt be able to flash anything (roms, themes, or mods). That is Like a custom recovery. Whoever created it here is truly a lifesaver for us with the phone.? . You Sprint people are lucky.

easyrider77

Dec 3, 2009
You need to take a BACKUP of your phone with a custom recovery (and make sure you check the BOOT option in backup). Then you should be able to try most roms and if they dont work you can RESTORE the backup you made. Make sure the backup saves to external SD in case the rom wipes the internal where cwm/twrp may be set to backup to.

And "IF" a backup does not boot for some reason then you would have to flash a Stock FW with ODIN. I really dont see how you could brick a phone with a unlocked bootloader since ODIN and FW are now available to download. I guess there must be ways to brick but I think we are very safe with the unlocked bootloader.

Thats what sucks about AT&T/Verizon S4 is that we have to use safestrap since we have locked bootloader. But thank God for us having Safestrap or we wouldnt be able to flash anything (roms, themes, or mods). That is Like a custom recovery. Whoever created it here is truly a lifesaver for us with the phone.�� . You Sprint people are lucky.

Thanks cyrusalmighty, appreicate your help.
I think I got it all working now.

-Went into download mode
-Flashed the stock ng5 firmware from sammy mobile via odin
-Booted into the rom and set it up.
-Went into download mode again
-Flashed the lastest twrp
-Booted back into twrp recovery
-Flashed supersu
-Reboot and profit

-Also went into supersu and disabled knox and udated binaries. Not like knox is good now anyways since I rooted it it's useless

And I wouldn't say we're lucky exactly, you verizon/att people have a much broader selection of roms than we do so I'd say you all are a bit more lucky at this point. And you also have the s5 roms, ie: echoe rom that is fully s5.

If I could afford to go wit another carrier I would do it immediatly......
-can't go with att because my ex wife racked up a $500 bill under my name and now I have to pay that off,
-tmo with my credit as bad as it is, they want 1/2 of a phone plus the taxes, and that's anywhere from $350-$400 or better....I found this out when I went to tmo to enquire about the lg g3, they wanted $400 out the door for the phone and I would have around $200-$300 left to pay on the phone plus my monthly bill,
-verizon is pretty much the same they go by credit,

So.......in short I'm stuck with sprint or something like boost in which you have to buy the phone outright as well. I opted for this s4 because the s5 was and still is to my knowledge around $200-$250 with a contract.....at any rate I make min wage in Missouri which is $7.50 an hr so as you can see I can't afford the s5 even if it was $100.

Anyways, I'll just be happy with stock rooted and use xposed on it for now. I really can't see anyone picking up this phone to mod for it not at this late stage in the game.

Last edited:

mark@b

Nov 18, 2011
L720T Echoe

Hi I'm running Echoev36 1 S5port for the i9505 on my unlocked L720T .I'm in Ireland. I was running echoe v30 first and updated today.Both Roms are flawless everything is working apart from 4G. Hotspot is much faster,calls ,data, mms,sms,wifi etc. all perfect the only difference is the GPS was more accurate on echoe V30 but its still fast and stable on this .I flashed it through TWRP no problems whatsoever.It has all the S5 tweaks and is very smooth.Does anyone know if I can change lte bands to get 4G ?

daniel4653

Jul 10, 2010
Southern California
Hi I'm running Echoev36 1 S5port for the i9505 on my unlocked L720T .I'm in Ireland. I was running echoe v30 first and updated today.Both Roms are flawless everything is working apart from 4G. Hotspot is much faster,calls ,data, mms,sms,wifi etc. all perfect the only difference is the GPS was more accurate on echoe V30 but its still fast and stable on this .I flashed it through TWRP no problems whatsoever.It has all the S5 tweaks and is very smooth.Does anyone know if I can change lte bands to get 4G ?
Sorry to the the bearer of bad news but I'm 95% sure the phone won't pick up LTE as the bands are not supported. You will only get HSPA on GSM

easyrider77

Dec 3, 2009

I ran a version of echoe but never could get gps to work. Did I understand you saying you had gps working? That's the only thing I could not get working.
Also you said L720T, is that sph l720T as in on sprint?

I see the difference now, you are unlocked, in not so it didn't work for me.

I tried echoev36.1 and had no data at all. I also tried to update the apn but there was no way to do that, as the apn settings under mobile networks was missing. I'd like to try it out but until I find a way to get the apn changed there is no way to use this rom on this phone.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

mark@b

Nov 18, 2011
L720T Echoe

I ran a version of echoe but never could get gps to work. Did I understand you saying you had gps working? That's the only thing I could not get working.
Also you said L720T, is that sph l720T as in on sprint?

I see the difference now, you are unlocked, in not so it didn't work for me.

I tried echoev36.1 and had no data at all. I also tried to update the apn but there was no way to do that, as the apn settings under mobile networks was missing. I'd like to try it out but until I find a way to get the apn changed there is no way to use this rom on this phone.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using XDA Free mobile app
Are you using the NC6 modem ? I flashed this L720TVPUBNAF ,connected to wifi and it updated to L720TVPUBNC6 unlocked with ssu.apk and then activated with sprint with irish sim , then flashed twrp and cm11 to get rid of zact activation and installed Echoe then and gps works great now along with everything else I've been using it ever since as my daily driver and can add APN's and save no problem are you pressing menu save after setting up APN ? I only ask because I've done that myself a few times :)

jmin9012

Oct 16, 2010
Dayton, OH
I wish some great dev would develop a ROM for the 720T... I have been running Triforce ROM just due to how stable it is. And most new ROMs for the 720 don't work well with our 720T. Even unified ROMs have given me issues with GPS.

easyrider77

Dec 3, 2009
I wish some great dev would develop a ROM for the 720T... I have been running Triforce ROM just due to how stable it is. And most new ROMs for the 720 don't work well with our 720T. Even unified ROMs have given me issues with GPS.

I agree whole heartedly. And I to have the exact same issues. On the vz ROMs the data can be fixed but the gps I have tried multiple fixes but to no avail gps still does not want to work.
I've banged my head against the wall trying many ROMs and fixes but they just do not work. Even a lot of the aosp ROMs give issues. The only ROMs that I've had successfully work without any issues are CM11 and stock ROM be it odexed or deodexed. Aside from those two choices we T phone users are kinda screwed right now. Sad this phone only has two choices. There is sacs and triforce of course but those are basically stock with mods, I cab do that with xposed, and I mean no disrespect to those devs when I say that.
A lot of the 720 ROMs just simply have glitches with this phone.

Are you using the NC6 modem ? I flashed this L720TVPUBNAF ,connected to wifi and it updated to L720TVPUBNC6 unlocked with ssu.apk and then activated with sprint with irish sim , then flashed twrp and cm11 to get rid of zact activation and installed Echoe then and gps works great now along with everything else I've been using it ever since as my daily driver and can add APN's and save no problem are you pressing menu save after setting up APN ? I only ask because I've done that myself a few times :)

Yeah. I've tried both nc6 and ng5 and nothing works. As jmin and I said it's just the nature of this phone. I've come to accept it and have since given up on trying any sort of ROM and/or fix because I simply think I've tried them all by now with no hope.
I hope as well some kind dev will pick up this phone and make a ROM, preferably a carbon style ROM or a working s5 ROM.
I would be more then willing to donate my time and effort if someone did and I'm sure jmin and a few others would to.
We already have 2 working deodexed ROMs for this phone so at least that part is out of the way.
Until that time since I really do not like the s3/s4 style look tw I an using cm11 with some exposed mods.

Last edited:

jhr5474

Sep 20, 2010
Holley, Oregon
I have the 720t spark version and most roms work for my phone. I'm currently running SuperS4. The spark feature is still there on most roms but the Spark icon is just missing since the rom was not developed with the spark icon in mind. Although the newest SuperS4 does have the spark icon.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Ok, so I have the 720T and I am wondering how you are getting wifi and data to work on the SuperS4 cuz everything I have tried does not work! I am running the G5, any ideas would be helpful!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I successful install universal Carbon Rom and latest TWRP on the Sprint SG 4 Tri-Band variant. I do not own the device but the only thing I could find was that the MAX CPU speed clock on this Rom is 1.8 GHZ, do not know if that is normal. It will display DIGITAL ROAMING even thou it is connected to the Sprint Network.

Universal Carbon Rom what is working
    • Bluetooth
    • WiFi & USB tethering
    • Camera
    • Sprint LTE 4G internet
    • Makes and Receives Calls
    • Speaker on call and regular speaker

Broken
    • Display for Carrier Name (DIGITAL ROAMING)

Not tested
    • NFC
    • Google Wallet

APPS That are working
    • Comadose v3.5
    • Xposed Frame work
    • Gravity Box [KK]
    • Wanam Xposed
    • Network Speed Indicator
    • more...

Thank to Carbon Rom Team, @teamwin, @Goddly
    Links:

Warning Flashing custom recovery will result in Knox 0x1 Samsung Warranty VOID

TWRP for Samsung Galaxy S4 (SPRINT) works on T variant
    Code:
    http://teamw.in/project/twrp2/178

Universal Carbon Rom Nightly
    Code:
    https://carbon-rom.com/downloads/?device=jflte&type=nightly

Code:
    AOSP JFLTE Universal
    http://probam.net/android-kikat-download/?device=jflte

Code:
    CM 11 JFLTE Universal
    http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=jfltel

Code:
    Pac Rom JFLTE Universal
    http://pacman.basketbuild.com/index.php?dir=main/jflte/nightly/

Be careful testing TW roms and always make a nandroid backup and have a copy of the official tar for Odin flash just in case. I have not tested any TW roms.

Comadose V3.5 (Requires bussy box)
    Code:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2382805
    Unless you just really want to install a rom, you can just install wifi tether router app and get hot spot. It's a paid app but if you search it can be found for no $$$. ;) I'm running stock 4.4.2 rooted and hot spot works great.

Sent from my SPH-L720T running OTA 4.4.2 (kit-kat) using Tapatalk 2

Yea, you can find a pirated version, but it's 2 bucks. Support your developers in this stuff folks. 2 bucks get you a 30 dollar a month service.

Sent from my XT1080 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    Does anyone know where I can find stock NAF tar files (and any other FW) for ODIN and a root method and hotspot mod for this "T" version?

Sammobile.com has NAF as well as NC6 (http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/3/?download=28778).

CF Auto Root worked great for me.

HTH,
    -Jerry
    ComaDose breaks tether on CM. And its variants..

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
    Liquidsmooth

I installed liquidsmooth 3.0 on my sph-l720t and I have no issues with apps and phone has been stable for about 3 days now :good: