[INFO][HOW TO] Sprint Galaxy S4 Sim Unlock (SPH-L720/jfltespr) ATT/TMOBILE

Search This thread

jellomonster54994

Feb 2, 2014
San Antonio
OnePlus 8T
This is an unlock method, not ROM flash method.

So therefore....

1. Perform unlock method as per OP
2. Verify it works
3. Flash ROM
4. Profit

tried that
i flashed pacrom and it switched to sprint then it i odin back to stock and now the unlock just says emergency calls only
once i redid the unlock method it still wouldnt work
am i doing something wrong? :crying:

lee714

May 23, 2010
C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>adb shell
shell@jfltespr:/ $ su
/system/bin/sh: su: not found
oadcast -a android.provider.Telephony.SECRET_C127|shell@jfltespr:/ $ am broadcast -a android.provider.Telephony.SECRET_Cider.Telephony.SECRET_CODE -d android_secret_code://27663368378 <
Broadcasting: Intent { act=android.provider.Telephony.SECRET_CODE dat=android_secret_code://27663368378 }
Broadcast completed: result=0

how come I see this, but no menu pops up on my phone?

edit: nvm, i needed to be rooted.

Last edited:

manoman77

Aug 27, 2015
Question about retaining unlock

Thanks to all for the info in this topic.

3 days ago I did not know what a ROM was. As of today (due to the info found on this forum) I have successfully unlocked a Galaxy S4. My plan is to now Flash CM 12. With the instructions I am working from to flash CM via TWRP it indicates that the system, data and cache should be wiped first. It is not clear to me where the unlock settings are stored so I wanted to know if wiping the system files, prior to flashing CM, will negatively affect the sim unlock settings?

MistuhEvo

Mar 9, 2009
im getting the same error, tried going doing everything over 20 times still no luck. i keep getting you are not authorized to make call. my number or provider doesnt show up in about phone either.

drivers1492

Mar 12, 2013
midly retarded here I had continually typed in the info in adb wrong. once done the correct way I am unlocked and online. TY much for your work

Last edited:

jellomonster54994

Feb 2, 2014
San Antonio
OnePlus 8T
new unlock

has any one tried the new od2 unlock in the general forum? i can send the apks if needed just need to know if it works before i try still dont know if i odin the od2 if it will recognize it as an update or if everything will delete:confused:

olgoz

Nov 21, 2015
Dun, dun, DUN!

Did this to my sph-l720 which was sold to me as a boxed, suppos-ed brand-new, octa-core international S4 gt-9500...

Thank you, the instructions worked for me.

The yellow screen took ages and i even rebooted a couple of times due to impatience.

SU wanted to update while suggesting 'the device isn't fully rooted yet' so I did this through Play on wifi before running the installed SSU unlock app. Working on my network proper now and even updating to Lolipoop.

Pondering on whether or not to keep this phone...

cheers,

olgoz

Crossvxm

May 26, 2013
New York
I'm having the same problem as dfd00123. Was able to successfully unlock on lollipop, everything is working, but NO WIFI. Won't turn on. Any help for this?
I tried installing the "hybrid" modem here: http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s4-sprint/general/od2-domestic-unlock-t3116542
But still no wifi

I think it is related to the bootloader as well. I have been able to get wifi working on OD2 with the MDC modem at some points and other times I have failed after fully returning to stock and taking the Stagefright OTA update directly (I think its OH1) then trying to downgrade the modem.

As for T-Mobile, anyone reading this may be SOL. I think they are now rejecting older Sprint IMEIs or require it to be registered, not sure. My device picked up T-Mobile for about 5 minutes then refused to even find it when searching for available carriers to register on. Other carriers get bars just fine. And lastly, I see talk here about flashing CM roms, but not once have I gotten an AOSP rom to read anything but Sprint. I have tried flashing GSM variant's CM12.1 but it will keep the phone in a roaming state, and cause issues when flashing back to stock (still roaming and will be detected as whatever variant other than Sprint who's rom you flashed even after you flash to stock with the latest odin tar. You must first flash back to an older tar which I think I used either NG2 or NAE then flash the latest OD2 tar to fix it).

I don't think these threads are futurproof and it seems as if the further into the future we get, the less people will poke at these matters since the phone is already nearly 3 generations behind. As for the no T-Mobile issue, anybody who would like to help me reassure others that it may just be an issue I'm experiencing would be greatly appreciated. Things are starting to change in such manners that we can no longer doubt that carriers will catch on to the things being pulled off by developers tinkering with Sprint phones to get them working on domestic carriers. Although Sprint is now allowing domestic unlocks, it is not an easy task officially and I don't see people stopping their work arounds any time soon...

EDIT: About my last paragraph, I figured it out. Going with the old instructions where the domestic unlock was first originally posted, the OP states to set the bands to ALL, and how he did the same to the LTE band selection area. Once I hit ALL to LTE, it will refuse connection to T-Mobile. I tried retracing the whole process, and when I got to that part, I set the first option to ALL and it immediately got service. Once I touch the other two and set them to ALL, bye bye service. Weird, I followed his same instructions a year or two ago with other L720's and never had this issue. My only possible guess is that there are two revisions for the L720, or the Qualcomm chip in general on the L720, and no I'm not talking about the L720T, been there and the process is a little different and more annoying IMO. Perhaps this will help others who also had issues with TMO on other threads I have read?

Last edited:

mattzeller

Jan 26, 2013
New Orleans

cmdba

Jun 20, 2010
How do we restore the phone back to normal .. back to sprint/cdma/lte ? Thanks in advance.

cmdba

Jun 20, 2010
I did this to test out a Straight Talk LTE AT&T sim and got an invalid sim message .. yes, i rebooted. I entered apn settings and it wouldnt save. So a no go for me.

crkoa

Jul 11, 2015
Thanks to the OP. I followed the directions and successfully unlocked my phone and have it working on AT&T. I am having a few issues however. I've installed the last stable build of CM12.1. I can make calls, use data and make/receive texts. The issues are:

1. I do not get notified of an incoming call and therefore cannot answer incoming calls.
2. When a voicemail is left for me, I do not get any notification that I have a voicemail.
3. When I make a call, I cannot disconnect from the call. The only time the call ends is when the other party disconnects. . When I press the end call button, it indicates that it is disconnecting, but doesn't.

Thank you for any assistance.

iBowToAndroid

Account currently disabled
Nov 9, 2010
Twin Cities MN
Thanks to the OP. I followed the directions and successfully unlocked my phone and have it working on AT&T. I am having a few issues however. I've installed the last stable build of CM12.1. I can make calls, use data and make/receive texts. The issues are:

1. I do not get notified of an incoming call and therefore cannot answer incoming calls.
2. When a voicemail is left for me, I do not get any notification that I have a voicemail.
3. When I make a call, I cannot disconnect from the call. The only time the call ends is when the other party disconnects. . When I press the end call button, it indicates that it is disconnecting, but doesn't.

Thank you for any assistance.
That's a known issue on CM. Google "CDMA cyanogenmod ril patch".

Or I believe flashing a GSM version of CM also fixes it

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There seems to be some confusion on the matter here in the forums.

Can I sim unlock my Sprint Galaxy S4 to use ATT/TMobile sims?
    Yes

Can I do it using a Lollipop Rom?
    Yes

Can I do it once I flash a KNOX bootloader?
    Yes

Can I do it on OD2?
    I don't think so, but maybe... The best bet is to use NG2 and then experiment from there...

Can I do it without reading/paying attention/following directions?
    No.. but if you made it here, you're doing OK so far...

First off, there are 2 kinds of SIM unlock for the SPH-L720. International unlock, and domestic unlock. We will cover both.

To unlock for international carriers SIMs, you have a couple of options.
    a. Have sprint unlock it for you
    b. Do it yourself.

I prefer b, almost always.
    Lets start off with what you'll need:
    Drivers for the phone, I'm too lazy to find those, but if you can't, you are way out of your depth here.
    SSU.apk from here.
    An NG2 Stock Rom (modem and ROM) here is an Odin tar that i used when I did it.
    Odin from the same post that tar came from... (here)
    TWRP recovery in tar format from here (i used 2.8.4.0, but I don't think that matters)
    adb ( i use this minimal adb installer but any adb install will work.)

THIS WILL PROBABLY WIPE ALL YOUR DATA.
    Put your phone in Download mode (Power + Vol Down)
    Open Odin
    Click the PDA button, choose the tar.md5 file you're flashing. (the stock ROM from earlier)
    Uncheck Auto Reboot
    Plug in a decent USB cable, from the phone to the PC
    Hit start
    It will take a few minutes, no worries unless you get an error.
    When it is done, Hold Power + Vol Down until the phone reboots into download mode again
    Click PDA in Odin and load the TWRP tar you downloaded earlier.
    Hit start. This will take significantly less time.
    When it is finished, Hold Power + Vol Up to reboot into recovery.
    When TWRP is fully loaded, click reboot then reboot system.
    It will tell you that the ROM is not rooted, and ask if you want to do that. (if you used the tar from above) and of course we want to, so let it.

Let the phone fully boot up.
    Goto Settings, More, About Phone.
    Find the line that says Build Number, click that line a bunch of times until it says "You are now a developer".
    Now hit back, and goto Developer Settings.
    Find Debugging mode and enable it.
    Using adb
    Code:
    adb devices
    that will respond with whether it finds your device or not.
    Code:
    adb install /path/to/SSU.apk
    that will install SSU.apk from earlier..
    You'll want to have the screen of your phone on for this part because you will need to approve your PC to connect.
    Goto your app drawer, and run SSU
    Click the Unlock button

Now your phone is SIM unlocked for international carriers... But what if you want domestic carriers too?

Unlocking for Domestic Carriers
    First things first, you have to do the International Unlock explained above (you didnt think you were gonna get out of that did you?)
    After that, load ADB back up
    Code:
    adb shell
    Code:
    su 
    am broadcast -a android.provider.Telephony.SECRET_CODE -d android_secret_code://27663368378
    That will pop up a menu on your phone
    Click (UMTS) then (DEBUG SCREEN) then (PHONE CONTROL) then (NETWORK CONTROL) then (GCF) then the top option.
    Now reboot.

You are now unlocked Internationally and Domestically. Goto your mobile network settings and put your apn settings in (if they arent already there off the sim) and you should have data too.

From here you have a couple of choices.
    a. Stay on NG2
    b. Goto another ROM (i usually just flash CM at this point, YMMV)
    c. experiment yourself and try to use OD2 (I've heard flashing the OD2 modem relocks it, didnt try because I didn't want OD2)

If you stay on NG2 then I suggest this apk to Stop the Sprint Hands Free Activation from nagging the **** out of you..

NOTE: as of tonight, any CM12.1 nightly after 6/23 causes a No Sim card error. This has nothing to do with the unlock, its just messed up, so until its fixed use the 6/23 nightly.

Hopefully that answers some of the questions I keep getting in PMs and what not.. If you have any question, feel free to ask.
    I might not answer them, because I rarely frequent the forums anymore, but lots of people here can probably answer the questions you have.

Thanks to @autoprime he's the one that found the original unlock for this phone, and tons of others.
    Thanks to @random45 for posting the ROM i used
    Thanks to @shimp208 for posting (making?) the minimal adb install that i use
    Thanks to @Sloosh for making the Hands free activation disabler apk
    Thanks to @Dees_Troy for TWRP and just being cool in general
    Thanks to @aalyatim for the SSU.apk
    Thanks to cyanogen and Team CyanogenMOD for all they do..
    Thanks to @imaxuout for keeping this topic alive in a few threads
    Thanks to @AndroidKing for a similar thread.
    Thanks to nicotheandroidguy also.
    And anyone else I forgot (I'm sure I did)
    If your carrier has it (check Play Store), install your carrier's visual voicemail app.

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000X using Tapatalk
    Yes. You have to root again and follow unlock procedure.
    If you update to Lollipop, yes it will relock you.

But no, you do not need to root to re-unlock it. Nor downgrade, nor redo the whole procedure. SImply flash NG2 modem
    I would probably recommend removing all references to rooting since it's not necessary. Some may only want to unlock, not root.

Substitute the dialer code for the terminal command when it comes to launching the service menu.

And putting the apk on the phone's storage and installing it with a file explorer is probably easier than adb install, for most people.
    I just documented what I did. there is no one way to do it. you are more than welcome to document them in your post if you want.
    Got my L720T (Sprint) to work - unlocked it domestically, worked with my ATT sim card, was making phone calls/using data, all that jazz (had to downgrade to 4.4.2 and an MK5 modem).
    It Even survived a few incremental custom rom upgrades, but as soon as I install CM13, it starts using SPRINT again with no visible way of changing it. A downgrade confirms the sim is still unlocked - any advice on how to force it to see att? It even saw it while setting up.
    Install jflte, not jfltespr