Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,340 Members 43,364 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Backup Question...

Tip us?

MortTheBeast
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Default [Q] Backup Question...

I'm wondering if there is any way to basically copy the entire phone.. os and all... and make a rom out of it? I just thought life would be so much simpler if I could do a fresh install of 4.4.2, root, recovery, do all the tweaks/settings and removal of bloatware I don't like and then install all my standard apps *minus games of course* and make it into a rom, I could save myself tons of time by not having to keep rinsing and repeating this long procedure whenever I run into major issues.

btoddweber
Old
Thanks Meter 1,784
If you make a proper backup...then have to restore it, it will restore exactly how you had it at the moment you made the backup.

So....you can

If you say "Please" be sure and hit "Thanks"!!!

MortTheBeast
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by btoddweber View Post
If you make a proper backup...then have to restore it, it will restore exactly how you had it at the moment you made the backup.

So....you can

If you say "Please" be sure and hit "Thanks"!!!
I used CWM and made a nandroid but it must not back "everything" up, because I had some issues after replacing numerous files and when I ran restore and it rebooted... had window after window popping up telling me "this stopped working and that stopped working"... nonstop... ended up having to do a complete wipe and reinstall.

Thats why I thought there might be a better method like making a rom as I mentioned in my original post.

leaderbuilder
Old
Thanks Meter 1,243
Then you made your nandroid incorrectly.
Either you didn't select all the partitions (inclusing media) and the SE context.

OR the recovery you used is the issue.

I've created hundreds, if not thousands of nandroids and flash between ROMs/Builds all the time. [well not lately been working 15+hour days]
Take some time and read through the OPs and follow up discussions for the recoveries and ROMs and you'll find the right combo of recover/ROM.

I always make sure my nandroids restore before moving on to another ROM or build. IF they don't then I can rebuild current ROM (since I know exactly what is involved), try another recovery and see if it restores after complete double/triple wipe and install of another ROM base. If that works I'll note the recovery/ROM combo and then move on.

Just my two cents.
* NAE ROMs * NAE Modem * 4.4 Kernels * MF9 Bootloader *

if you've found any of my blathering useful, there is a thanks button that can be hit.
The Following User Says Thank You to leaderbuilder For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]