Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,734,036 Members 52,012 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Help with ROMS.

Tip us?

MortTheBeast
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Default [Q] Help with ROMS.

My first half way decent smartphone was a HTC Droid Inc 2 (yea yea... nothing to jump up and down about, but it sure beat my lil junky prepaid Galaxy Proclaim lol). Now that was about 6 months ago (or so) and beings how dated the software was I figured I would give a shot at rooting it and trying out some custom roms. Well I really enjoyed it and after a handful of roms I opted to stick with one I felt made it run pretty good for a lil junker... so then I decided I might be able to sell it and get something better...

Put it up on CL for $80 and it sold in a couple days. Then I found an S3 on CL and talked the guy down to $60 and it was in perfect condition. I fouled up though, because I went and did an OTA and got the royal shaft with 4.4.2 while on Verizon. Anyway... lesson learned and I decided to switch to Sprint and was able to sell my $60 S3 for $140 today (insert happy evil grin here...). I was then able to talk a guy down in price and snagged an S4 for $140 just a few hours after selling the S3.

Now I have rooted the phone and my next step was going to be recovery and then checking out some roms, but before doing so, I was hoping someone might point me in the direction to say the TOP 3 popular roms for this phone that are stable and are still being updated and or under development?

Also would like to know what exactly do you get off the roms? Meaning, for my old Inc2 it helped speed it up, but the S4 is pretty darn fast... so what are some of the top benefits you would get from a rom for this phone versus sticking with stock?

And one last question... will this phone ever see 4.4.3 or 4.4.4?

Daisflaque
Old
Thanks Meter 21
About every question you've asked is a matter of personal opinion. I'm sorry but for most of this you'll probably have to search and choose yourself. Of course CM is always being updated.
And as for features free hotspot, custom kernels/mods would be the tip of the iceberg of root/roming. Hope this helps a little.

daniel4653
Old
Thanks Meter 2595
There are no BEST or TOP Roms. all of them are good. try out the ones that catch your attention and go with them. make a nandroid.

Team Kernelizers: Making the best out of your phone
The Following User Says Thank You to daniel4653 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bryguy9021
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Sokp updated constantly... Unified section... Then dirty unicorns... The carbon or c-rom...highly recommend sokp

Daisflaque
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Sokp failed me on every level. Constant force closes. Lagg all over. Lol

MortTheBeast
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Thanks for the responses. And out of curiosity, has anyone tried out the Mahdi ROM 4.4.4... thoughts if ya have?

And I'm really trying to find something that's stable with everything working. I believe it was a Viper Rom I had on my Inc2 and had no issues, was fast and for sure helped with extending battery life. And one thing I am not sure about is, if I install any rom and then want to go back to stock... what the process would be. Would I be able to just hook my phone up to Kies 3 to get back to stock?

bryguy9021
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Make a nadroid while you are stock.. Save it somewhere off ur phone for safe keeping. Second option downl9ad stock rom for ur baseband flash thru custom recovery or odin

MortTheBeast
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryguy9021 View Post
Make a nadroid while you are stock.. Save it somewhere off ur phone for safe keeping. Second option downl9ad stock rom for ur baseband flash thru custom recovery or odin
Thanks, made a nandroid with CWM and its saved to my sdcard. Curious though, does this actually backup the entire phone or just certain aspects? For example if I installed CM11 and then didn't like it, I could just perform a restore with my nandroid and all will be back to exactly the way it was when I did the initial backup?

bryguy9021
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortTheBeast View Post
Thanks, made a nandroid with CWM and its saved to my sdcard. Curious though, does this actually backup the entire phone or just certain aspects? For example if I installed CM11 and then didn't like it, I could just perform a restore with my nandroid and all will be back to exactly the way it was when I did the initial backup?
Entire phone.. Like a time machine... Txts.. Everything..exact as it was the second u made it. U can go right back in 2 mins or less

The Following User Says Thank You to bryguy9021 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]