Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,985 Members 40,729 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Dirty Flash new version Same Developer

Tip us?

TrickyD76
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Question Dirty Flash new version Same Developer

If I simply wipe dalvick and cache and flash new version of same developers (SACS) rom, will I lose anything like pics and downloads that are stored on the device?
Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4
Sacsv6
TWRP 2.5.0.2
Goodness

anees02
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Normally no you won't lose your pics and downloads if you just wipe cache and delvik cache only.
But you shouldn't take the risk. Make a backup of your own data.

TrickyD76
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by anees02 View Post
Normally no you won't lose your pics and downloads if you just wipe cache and delvik cache only.
But you shouldn't take the risk. Make a backup of your own data.
great thanks, what type of backup, using what? titanium? does a nand backup store EVERYTHING on the device, like the pics and downloads im referring to, or what exactly does a nand backup save? the whole reason I ask is because my piece of sheet Samsung galaxy 4 refuses to USB connect to my dell xps 15 (9530), a new machine. ive had dell, Samsung, and best buy all unable to figure it out..the phone just loops through saying "connected" then immediately disconnects, so I have no easy way to transfers all the files on the device itself to my computer....but the phone connects fine to my 10 year old inspiron...but the transfer speed is stone-age...
Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4
Sacsv6
TWRP 2.5.0.2
Goodness

anees02
Old
Thanks Meter 19
You can even copy all your personal files to external SD card then use any SD card reader to move it to your pc or laptop.
About your Samsung device not recognized... Then make sure of 2 things
1) That your usb cable is fine (may use another one)
2) uninstal Samsung drivers from device manager on pc then download the latest version of drivers (or you can uninstall Samsung kies and reinstalling the latest version of it)
Then retry connect the mobile phone to pc or laptop.

TrickyD76
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
You can even copy all your personal files to external SD card then use any SD card reader to move it to your pc or laptop.
About your Samsung device not recognized... Then make sure of 2 things
1) That your usb cable is fine (may use another one)
2) uninstal Samsung drivers from device manager on pc then download the latest version of drivers (or you can uninstall Samsung kies and reinstalling the latest version of it)
Then retry connect the mobile phone to pc or laptop.
i will go in and delete the samsung drivers on pc, and reinstall. thanks!

in the meantime, id like to dirty flash this rom asap, cuz my gps is broke, and i need it working. how should i backup whats on the device so i dont lose pics/downloads, etc.?

thanks for taking the time to help out
Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4
Sacsv6
TWRP 2.5.0.2
Goodness

dyandell
Old
Thanks Meter 41
I even had a situation once where I could only see that there was a problem with the drivers through device manager when the phone was plugged in. I want to say I had uninstalled the drivers but they did not uninstall cleanly. I had to have the phone plugged into USB, right clicked on the driver, clicked uninstall/delete and unplugged the phone while the the driver uninstalled so the PC did not recognize it and start trying to install a new driver. Reboot download drivers and plug the phone in to install drivers.

TrickyD76
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyandell View Post
I even had a situation once where I could only see that there was a problem with the drivers through device manager when the phone was plugged in. I want to say I had uninstalled the drivers but they did not uninstall cleanly. I had to have the phone plugged into USB, right clicked on the driver, clicked uninstall/delete and unplugged the phone while the the driver uninstalled so the PC did not recognize it and start trying to install a new driver. Reboot download drivers and plug the phone in to install drivers.
my problem is i cant even get the phone connected to computer...it connects and disconnects in an endless loop
Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4
Sacsv6
TWRP 2.5.0.2
Goodness

anees02
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyD76 View Post
i will go in and delete the samsung drivers on pc, and reinstall. thanks!

in the meantime, id like to dirty flash this rom asap, cuz my gps is broke, and i need it working. how should i backup whats on the device so i dont lose pics/downloads, etc.?

thanks for taking the time to help out
As i said you can easily copy your pics and downloads to your external SD card then transfer all to your pc. By using sd card reader.
Then make dirty flash as you want or even go to a clean install.

About your apps and settings and their data you can use titanium backup.

But for pics and downloads you don't have to use titanium... Just copy and paste.

TrickyD76
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
As i said you can easily copy your pics and downloads to your external SD card then transfer all to your pc. By using sd card reader.
Then make dirty flash as you want or even go to a clean install.

About your apps and settings and their data you can use titanium backup.

But for pics and downloads you don't have to use titanium... Just copy and paste.
so you are saying i will lose my pics that are on the device, not on the sd card? i have nothing to externally connect the phone to. thats my issue.
Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4
Sacsv6
TWRP 2.5.0.2
Goodness

anees02
Old
Thanks Meter 19
I think you will not lose any thing but you have to make a backup if anything goes wrong.
If you have external card on your mobile phone then copy to your external card.
If you haven't then you can copy your pics and downloads wireless by using wifi if you have wifi router via airdroid app.