FORUMS

[Q] Encryption removal problem - CM to TriForce

4 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By docsmooth, Junior Member on 17th April 2015, 09:20 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
I have been running CM (currently CM11) on my SGS4 since I bought it from Sprint in summer 2013. However, Sprint changed their international partners pretty seriously in the past 2 years, so I *really* need a PRL update for international travel. Normally the easiest way to do this is to reboot to stock or TriForce, run the "update PRL" and "update Profile" options from in TriForce, and go on with my life.

But I encrypt my phone. So I had to boot into TWRP, wipe and format *everything* and make sure the phone came up unencrypted in CM. All is OK.

So I reboot, flash TriForce 5.4 custom with stock (not KK) kernel. Flash works fine, I reboot... and am prompted to decrypt the device before I can do anything. None of the decryption passwords I've used in the past (I checked my password safe) are working. When I flash back to CM, it boots fine, and the settings says that the device is not encrypted.

I downloaded and tried TriForce 5.2 and 4.0, both are giving the same problem. I have used TriForce in the past on this phone, so it SHOULD be fine....?

Someone in #twrp said that the location of the encryption key changed from Android 4.4 to 5.0. So my only remaining thought now is that there was also a change from 4.3 to 4.4, and the encryption key for 4.3 didn't get removed in the wipe, and since the partition is NOT encrypted, the decryption, even if I have the right key, fails, so I can't get into the phone. Hope that makes sense.

Anyone have any guess better, or, if I'm right, know what I need to move/edit to fix this?

17th April 2015, 04:35 PM |#2  
OP Junior Member

More
Followup: IRC #sgs4 suggested a full install of stock via odin, so I'll be trying that on Saturday, after I can get a new stock rom downloaded overnight. if there are thoughts before then, I'd love 'em.
4th June 2015, 05:02 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by docsmooth

Followup: IRC #sgs4 suggested a full install of stock via odin, so I'll be trying that on Saturday, after I can get a new stock rom downloaded overnight. if there are thoughts before then, I'd love 'em.

Followup - this was never solved before I dropped the phone and shattered the screen (literally days after this post). So if someone runs into the same thing... good luck.
4th June 2015, 06:42 PM |#4  
Flag Tustin, CA
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by docsmooth

Followup - this was never solved before I dropped the phone and shattered the screen (literally days after this post). So if someone runs into the same thing... good luck.

Thanks for the update, I was actually going to suggest stock ODIN instead of TriForce, but you are saying it did not work ? It's good to know for the future. I was initially going to encrypt my phone a long time ago, but I had concerns about decryption when switching ROMs.

My question is why the encryption was not removed after the format ? I've used TWRP to pretty much hose out everything inside the phone, so it's possible the encryption location is located somewhere else. I came across this article:

http://money.cnn.com/2015/05/21/tech...android-phone/

So I guess even after a complete wipe everything ISN'T removed. Maybe your encryption was also stuck as well.................................... What new phone are you getting ?...................................
4th June 2015, 07:15 PM |#5  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeprius

Thanks for the update, I was actually going to suggest stock ODIN instead of TriForce, but you are saying it did not work ? It's good to know for the future. I was initially going to encrypt my phone a long time ago, but I had concerns about decryption when switching ROMs.

My question is why the encryption was not removed after the format ? I've used TWRP to pretty much hose out everything inside the phone, so it's possible the encryption location is located somewhere else. I came across this article:

So I guess even after a complete wipe everything ISN'T removed. Maybe your encryption was also stuck as well.................................... What new phone are you getting ?...................................

I was never able to get the stock odin download. The whole problem came up because I was going overseas... I got around it by just buying a local SIM rather than using the Sprint roaming (again, I was doing all this just to update the PRL. new GSM SIM = no PRL update needed). On the way home less than a week later, I cracked the screen so bad the LCD and backlight wouldn't even go on.

I replaced it with a Nexus 6. A bit big, but it doesn't suffer Samsung software awfulness, so I didn't have to flash it with CM to make it usable.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread