FORUMS

ZenFone 2 Lolliflash and ZenPower Giveaway!

We recently did an in-depth review of the Asus Zenfone 2 but one of the things people may … more

OnePlus 2 Forums: Discuss Everything About The OP2!

Now that the OnePlus 2 has been officially unveiled and that we have had close-up … more

Intel & Micron Announce “Revolutionary” Storage Tech

Intel & Micron have announced 3D Xpoint technology—”the … more

Google Now Interfaces With Third-Party Messaging Apps

Google has announced that Ok Google voice commands can now be used to send … more

[Q] Flashing 4.4.2, or Custom ROM?

4 posts
Thanks Meter: 1
 
By F13Bubba, Junior Member on 22nd July 2015, 07:04 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Hey Y'all,
So I've been trying to root my 5.0.1 S4, but could not do it for the life of me. I figured since the CF Auto Root file was made for 4.4.2, I would try flashing back to that with Odin. After getting the correct build for my device, I've been trying to get it to flash, but it got to system, and then stalled forever. I let it run overnight, and it hadn't progressed, so I tried restarting. Now, it fails in a matter of seconds, but I keep seeing progress on the phone's blue bar.

[Q] AM I wasting my time trying to flash an old build? If so, should I just use a custom rom so I get my root? And if so, which one should I use (I'm new to this phone mod stuff.)

Thanks in advance!
 
 
22nd July 2015, 07:11 PM |#2  
bilgerryan's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Flag Garrett, IN
Thanks Meter: 34,499
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by F13Bubba

Hey Y'all,
So I've been trying to root my 5.0.1 S4, but could not do it for the life of me. I figured since the CF Auto Root file was made for 4.4.2, I would try flashing back to that with Odin. After getting the correct build for my device, I've been trying to get it to flash, but it got to system, and then stalled forever. I let it run overnight, and it hadn't progressed, so I tried restarting. Now, it fails in a matter of seconds, but I keep seeing progress on the phone's blue bar.

[Q] AM I wasting my time trying to flash an old build? If so, should I just use a custom rom so I get my root? And if so, which one should I use (I'm new to this phone mod stuff.)

Thanks in advance!

Yes, stop before you brick your device. CF Auto Root works for Lollipop. Or Odin TWRP and flash SuperSU zip. Or just flash a rooted ROM. Read the OPs and decide which one sounds like the best fit for you.

22nd July 2015, 07:13 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilgerryan

Yes, stop before you brick your device. CF Auto Root works for Lollipop. Or Odin TWRP and flash SuperSU zip. Or just flash a rooted ROM. Read the OPs and decide which one sounds like the best fit for you.

KK, thanks. I could not get CF to root my device, trying 3 different versions of Odin. I'll go the custom rom route, methinks.
22nd July 2015, 07:17 PM |#4  
bilgerryan's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Flag Garrett, IN
Thanks Meter: 34,499
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by F13Bubba

KK, thanks. I could not get CF to root my device, trying 3 different versions of Odin. I'll go the custom rom route, methinks.

Uncheck Auto Reboot and F Reset (everything) when using Odin. And wait a minute after it says PASS before unplugging. Also try different ports and cables.

22nd July 2015, 07:29 PM |#5  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
I can only find .img files for TWRP, I haven't yet been able to find any .tar files. Any tips on where to get a recovery file to use with Odin?

Yeah, definitely cannot restart my phone at the point, it's referring me to Kies to recover. Kies won't connect, either 3.0 or 2.6. So At this point I guess I'm hoping flashing a custom ROM will work...otherwise, is my phone bricked?
Last edited by F13Bubba; 22nd July 2015 at 07:41 PM.
22nd July 2015, 08:18 PM |#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 71
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by F13Bubba

I can only find .img files for TWRP, I haven't yet been able to find any .tar files. Any tips on where to get a recovery file to use with Odin?

Yeah, definitely cannot restart my phone at the point, it's referring me to Kies to recover. Kies won't connect, either 3.0 or 2.6. So At this point I guess I'm hoping flashing a custom ROM will work...otherwise, is my phone bricked?

TWRP can flash images now.

Flash this build of TWRP first. (It's a .tar for Odin)

https://dl.twrp.me/jfltespr/twrp-2.8.4.0-jfltespr.tar

Copy this build to your device somewhere. (You might as well go ahead and copy a ROM you want to install on your device also.)

https://dl.twrp.me/jfltespr/twrp-2.8.7.0-jfltespr.img

Boot into TWRP and go to install. Select images button at the bottom right and select the build you copied to your device. You will now be running the current version of TWRP.
The Following User Says Thank You to Beezer80 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd July 2015, 08:36 PM |#7  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
WOOOOOO!

After a ton of troubleshooting and grief, I finally got 5.0.1 back on, and working. I also discovered that my front usb port was not working correctly. I guess I'll try to root it now!

Aaaaaand, it seems to have worked flawlessly. Thanks for all the help guys!
Last edited by F13Bubba; 22nd July 2015 at 08:39 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to F13Bubba For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes