Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,462 Members 43,809 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Need help with root and best route to update

Tip us?

sinnedone
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Default [Q] Need help with root and best route to update

Hello all, I rooted my wife's phone when it first came out and told her not to take any updates.

Well She's still on 4.2.2, software/baseband L720VPUAMDL and want to know what is the best route to get her updated to the latest while staying rooted?

Im not to used to Samsungs and its been a while since I attacked anything samsung related and am currently searching to get me familiarized again.

frostedunit
Old
Thanks Meter 298
Best way is back everything up, Odin the NAE .tar file, let the phone take the NG2 OTA, then reroot and restore.

sinnedone
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Would I need to unroot first or can I simply run the latest update?

frostedunit
Old
Thanks Meter 298
You would have to unroot in order to accept an OTA update. And if you have removed any bloatware, it will still probably fail unfortunately.

sinnedone
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
ok thank you. now to find the files and see if the drivers are still installed.

There are no issues rooting the latest update correct?

frostedunit
Old
Thanks Meter 298
You can go to sammobile.com to get the NAE firmware.

The only method that doesn't work to root the latest version (NG2) is Towelroot. The other methods still work.
The Following User Says Thank You to frostedunit For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cruise350
Old
Thanks Meter 588
Don't download the NAE tar from samobile, the speeds are horrible. Get it from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2663619
Phones & Tablets: Galaxy S4, Galaxy Note 8", Evo 4g LTE, Evo 3D, Acer Iconia A500, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Ipad 2, Nabi 2,

Rom: Rooted Stock Odexed, Hotspot Mod, Xposed, Wanum, several other xposed tweaks
Firmware: NAE
Kernel: Stock
TWRP: 2.7.1.0

The Following User Says Thank You to cruise350 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]