Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,404 Members 48,770 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] NG2 Update, Camera App & Hotspot Mod

Tip us?

adx716
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] NG2 Update, Camera App & Hotspot Mod

Hello, Im on stock rooted NAE. Two days ago I received the NG2 update via OTA. I thought this was weird because youre not supposed to get updates via OTA if you are rooted. Anyway, today I tried to install the update and I got an error during the installation. My phone got restarted and Im apparently still rooted.
So I have a couple questions...
1) Why did I get the OTA update if Im rooted?
2) How do you install the NG2 update on a rooted device? I guess you have to run the NG2 tar file via ODIN and then, use the Chainfire root method. Am I right?
3) Does anyone have the mod camera app? I would love to have it.
4) How do I get free hotspot functionality on the NG2 rooted device?

Thank you so much! Any help will be appreciated.

ROMANTiC KiD
Old
Thanks Meter 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by adx716 View Post
Hello, Im on stock rooted NAE. Two days ago I received the NG2 update via OTA. I thought this was weird because youre not supposed to get updates via OTA if you are rooted. Anyway, today I tried to install the update and I got an error during the installation. My phone got restarted and Im apparently still rooted.
2) How do you install the NG2 update on a rooted device? I guess you have to run the NG2 tar file via ODIN and then, use the Chainfire root method. Am I right?

1. If your stock you will always get a firmware update. Unless on another custom rom ex. Aosp.

2. You are correct sir.

4. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2816159

Sent from my SPH-L720
The Following User Says Thank You to ROMANTiC KiD For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

anees02
Old
Thanks Meter 26
I was also NAE rooted and got the OTA NG2 update... I think even rooted devices can downloaded the OTA update... BUT... The rooted or custom ROM or recovery couldn't install this update.
So the update can be downloaded but not installed.

So I pulled the OTA update and returned to the stock status and installed the update normally.

chico1983
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by adx716 View Post

Phone needs to be completely stock before you can run the update. The new plans offer HOTSPOT for free. This will be included in your monthly plan at no extra cost.