CM, Micromax and OnePlus – Sales Ban Lifted

It’s less than a week since our recent in-depth analysis of the legal battle over the … more

The History of Flagships: Part I – Sony

Every OEM aspiring to conquer the mobile world undoubtedly releases its take on the so-called … more

XDA & New Relic Performance Monitoring [Sponsored]

In other posts we’ve raved about New Relic Mobile for monitoring performance of our … more

XDA’s Top 5 Stories and Videos for 2014 – XDA TV

Yesterday we talked about our favorite Xposed Mods from 2014 on XDA Xposed … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Phone wont power on, or boot to download mode or recovery

OP thiswasnttaken

15th July 2014, 05:46 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

7 posts
I'm not sure what the heck happened. Flashed cwm to my sph-l720t and all was groovy. I was able to install CM 11 and update to the latest nightly. A few minutes ago the phone just powered off and it won't come back up. The battery is fully charged.

I can't power it up in any way with out having to take the battery out for a few minutes. After that I get one shot at powering it on or entering recovery mode.

If i hold vol down and the power button it enters the download mode but then shuts off. The same thing happens with recovery mode and booting normally.

Any ideas?
15th July 2014, 06:35 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 11

29 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiswasnttaken

I'm not sure what the heck happened. Flashed cwm to my sph-l720t and all was groovy. I was able to install CM 11 and update to the latest nightly. A few minutes ago the phone just powered off and it won't come back up. The battery is fully charged.

I can't power it up in any way with out having to take the battery out for a few minutes. After that I get one shot at powering it on or entering recovery mode.

If i hold vol down and the power button it enters the download mode but then shuts off. The same thing happens with recovery mode and booting normally.

Any ideas?

Try replacing the battery. Maybe borrow a friends battery just to test if that's the problem. My phone used to power on fine and almost full battery. It would shutoff suddenly so when I powered it on again it would show the battery still almost fully charged. This happend a few times and sometimes I noticed the battery level would drop for example was at 87% it shut off, powered it on and now showed 42%.. I replaced the battery and everything was A okay
The Following User Says Thank You to droidtom For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th July 2014, 07:00 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

7 posts
steamer septyur
Quote:
Originally Posted by droidtom

Try replacing the battery. Maybe borrow a friends battery just to test if that's the problem. My phone used to power on fine and almost full battery. It would shutoff suddenly so when I powered it on again it would show the battery still almost fully charged. This happend a few times and sometimes I noticed the battery level would drop for example was at 87% it shut off, powered it on and now showed 42%.. I replaced the battery and everything was A okay

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I've tried this already. Still no joy.
18th July 2014, 06:38 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

7 posts
So I ended up bringing the phone to sprint. They said it was a software issue and gave me a new one. He also said there was a bad update or something but i wasn't on a stock rom so i'm not sure how true that is.

On the last device I rooted and installed clockwork mod using flashify. I then restored my backup of my old sph-l720 (non triband) and it worked for about a day then at some point it died and was stuck in the position mentioned in the OP. Does anyone thing that the phone bricked because of my restore method or because of some weird circumstances on sprint's end? I want to restore but don't want to brick it.
19th July 2014, 12:15 AM   |  #5  
Flag Knoxville
Thanks Meter: 589

1,632 posts
More
If that backup came from a non tri-band l720 S4, that is what happened to your l720t. Do not restore that backup to your new one if it is a l720t
19th July 2014, 01:53 AM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

7 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyboytn

If that backup came from a non tri-band l720 S4, that is what happened to your l720t. Do not restore that backup to your new one if it is a l720t

Any idea what about it caused it to fail catastrophicaly like that after a little over a day of flawless use?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread