T-MOBILE update today. NOT!!!

Search This thread

OldeCrow

Dec 7, 2010
Gresham
Lollipop isn't worth obsessing about, I bought a i9505 just to see lollipop run on an s4 and sure it's lollipop but it doesn't run any faster, battery isn't any better and if I'm being honest it really just looks a little bit prettier out of the box so big deal.

The middle of the bell curve for the s4 is going to be our 4.4.4 build, stock kernel performance is right at 30k antutu same on lollipop.

Best case lollipop will not change a thing for you worst case it will make something worse than it is now.

PanchoPlanet

Oct 15, 2011
Crooklyn
The half baked lollipop roms that have been cooked up for the S4 will never do it justice until it's officially released by Samsung /Tmobile.

I'm going to tmobile in two weeks and upgrading to the S6 edge and the note 4, tired of waiting for official lollipop to drop.
The drop would have keep my S4 until November before upgrading but not waiting any longer.

Pp.

OldeCrow

Dec 7, 2010
Gresham
it's really disappointing to see T-Mobile drop the ball on the lollipop release like this, we are literally the last carrier to get lollipop on the s4. It would be nice to at least get a boot loader and modem for lollipop for tmobile's lame off handed lte frequencies then we could run the 9505 roms with full tmobile support...

I have got 5.0 on 2 different i337 S4's and it makes a huge difference in my opinion. Speed and feel plus looks. Battery not huge but I'm using one on T-Mobile and it's great...just no wifi calling. I have a M919 too and I'm hoping it will get it, but not being on the T-Mob update page doesn't bode well. :(

HTCMDA

Dec 28, 2006
The galaxy S4 on
At&t
Verizon
Sprint
Now all have the lollipop update, with sprint being the latest one. T-mobile still trying to figure out how to do it, I guess I understand why they are known as the "uncarrier"

brian117

Feb 22, 2011
Cleveland, OH
The galaxy S4 on
At&t
Verizon
Sprint
Now all have the lollipop update, with sprint being the latest one. T-mobile still trying to figure out how to do it, I guess I understand why they are known as the "uncarrier"

At this point it's getting ridiculous. Really, really ridiculous. At first I thought maybe it was the whole WiFi Calling implementation/porting being a problem but seeing as how they released 5.0 for their other branded phones, that assumption quickly went away. Has anybody tweeted any T-Mo workers or even John Legere himself? I would if I had a twitter account and ask what's going on with the update for the S4.

People keep saying 5.0 is not a big deal and it's not worth it and it makes no difference but it's the fact we own a phone capable of it and aren't receiving it to stay up to date. Yes, custom ROM's are available, blah blah, heard it all before, even installed one myself until I had trouble holding a signal 100% of the time because it wasn't official. And it didn't have...wait for it...WiFi Calling. Which is a feature that is needed regardless if you live in an area with strong signal. Never know when it might come in handy.

HKSpeed

Apr 3, 2012
Los Angeles
I think T-Mobile won't release Lollipop on the S4 as a ploy to get you to upgrade to a newer phone. Their website doesn't sell the S4 anymore, but strangely you can buy a used/certified S3.

What is the big deal about wifi calling? Are you able to make calls over wifi with zero cell reception? That's never worked on my S4.

kevinrubio1

Oct 13, 2012
I think T-Mobile will release it. Only time will tell.

Sent from my SM-G920F using XDA Free mobile app

rlichtefeld

Feb 13, 2008
Atlanta, GA
What is the big deal about wifi calling? Are you able to make calls over wifi with zero cell reception? That's never worked on my S4.

Yes, that is exactly what WiFi Calling can do on a TouchWiz based rom.

You can also send and receive text messages while on board a Delta flight for free if you have WiFi Calling. It's a deal they have with Delta and Gogo. It also allows you to travel internationally and call back home using a WiFi connection without any international phone charges.

And, it does work with a TMO stock rom.

Rob

Reactions: PanchoPlanet

mrbmg

Nov 14, 2010
Midlothian, TX
I recently moved into an awesome house across town where I previously had all bars LTE..

And I have 0 service.. Crazy. Went into T-Mobile, they gave me a free cel-fi router and now I can make calls and send/receive sms/MMS. Pretty cool. Why I've been with them since Voicestream :)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Reactions: PanchoPlanet

xsf04

Aug 15, 2012
Lollipop 5.0.1 stock firmware on SGH-M919 (Canadian Version same as T-Mobile)

FYI, The canadian version of the T-Mobile Samsung S4 SGH-M919 has received lolipop 5.0.1 stock firmware. The modem.bin is most likely to be compatible. Just try it, only if your device is not knoxed tripped otherwise you won't be able go back to an earlier bootloader version, don't forget to change APNs.

Date Country/Carrier Version PDA CSC Kies
2015-04-22 Canada (Globalive Wind Mobile) (Black Edition) 5.0.1 M919VVLUGOD1 M919VYVLGOD1 YES
2015-04-22 Canada (EastLink) (Black Edition) 5.0.1 M919VVLUGOC4 M919VYVLGOC4 YES
2015-04-22 Canada (Vidéotron) (Black Edition) 5.0.1 M919VVLUGOC4 M919VYVLGOC4 YES

Available via KIES or sammobile!

Last edited:
Reactions: kevinrubio1

kevinrubio1

Oct 13, 2012
FYI, The canadian version of the T-Mobile Samsung S4 SGH-M919 has received lolipop 5.0.1 stock firmware. The modem.bin is most likely to be compatible. Just try it, only if your device is not knoxed tripped otherwise you won't be able go back to an earlier bootloader version, don't forget to change APNs.

Date Country/Carrier Version PDA CSC Kies
2015-04-22 Canada (Globalive Wind Mobile) (Black Edition) 5.0.1 M919VVLUGOD1 M919VYVLGOD1 YES
2015-04-22 Canada (EastLink) (Black Edition) 5.0.1 M919VVLUGOC4 M919VYVLGOC4 YES
2015-04-22 Canada (Vidéotron) (Black Edition) 5.0.1 M919VVLUGOC4 M919VYVLGOC4 YES

Available via KIES or sammobile!
This could be a sign!

HTCMDA

Dec 28, 2006
interesting, I looked on the sammobile website and the canadian version is listed as having 5.0.1. While ours is still listed as 4.4.4
So, I'd believe it!

SuperSport

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 27, 2007
Northern California
I recently moved into an awesome house across town where I previously had all bars LTE..

And I have 0 service.. Crazy. Went into T-Mobile, they gave me a free cel-fi router and now I can make calls and send/receive sms/MMS. Pretty cool. Why I've been with them since Voicestream :)

I also have this FREE Asus Home Wi-Fi Router ($190 Value). I have enough cell signal in my home, but it's a fantastic and FAST 1900 Mbps Router for FREE! (as long as you have service with them) Just go into T-Mobile and ask for it (No Deposit, but must be returned if you stop service with them, or keep it for $99). It's a GigaBit Router with 4 ports and the 3 antenna WiFi is fantastic, both speed and connection. 2.4ghz and 5ghz

The Router gets pretty good reviews on most sites. Again, FREE!
http://www.amazon.com/RT-AC68U-Wireless-AC1900-Dual-Band-Gigabit-Router/dp/B00FB45SI4

Last edited:
Reactions: mrbmg

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Should be on Note 3 page not here on S4

It is. :eek:

Pp.

You do realize you just posted your phone number publically, right? :rolleyes:
    So how do you like it so far?

Pp.

Running sickness rom on it with KT kernel, battery is great everything seems to be running perfectly, phone is a tad bigger but it fits in the same belt clip leather case I have been using since the s2.

I'm not sure I like the s5 settings, the same buttons over and over three or four times seems really inefficient.

Waiting for Shinyside to build a lollipop HispAsian Kernel for the s5 then I will build my own rom out of stock deodexed with Hispasian.

The s5 seems to be a pretty snappy improvement over the s4 and I got a good package deal on a white s4 and white s5 from a friend so that gives me a s5 for a daily driver and two s4's to play with! :D
    No news yet huh ?

Still nothing. I've seen numerous posts across different sites that say T-Mobile isn't going to update the S4 since the GS3 didn't even get Kit Kat. It seems to be a trend going on. Since the S4 was after the S3, and the latest is 4.4.4 for the S4, I think that's where it's going to be stuck at since the S5 and S6 are out now receiving the update. Either it's a sad marketing approach at getting people to buy a newer phone, or it's still being tested and will release when we least expect it. My money goes towards the marketing approach. Regardless of custom ROM's being available you can install for Lollipop.

Yes, that is exactly what WiFi Calling can do on a TouchWiz based rom.

You can also send and receive text messages while on board a Delta flight for free if you have WiFi Calling. It's a deal they have with Delta and Gogo. It also allows you to travel internationally and call back home using a WiFi connection without any international phone charges.

And, it does work with a TMO stock rom.

Rob