Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,395 Members 47,143 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Best way to start with a new phone?

Tip us?

Xyberz
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Question Best way to start with a new phone?

Just wanted to ask the public's opinion on how to start? Things in this field changes so quick that if you're not on it at least every week, you're easily left in the dust.

My phone's backlight went defective and only shows a picture that has lines thru it from top to bottom when the brightness is turned all the way up. Anything lower and the backlight doesn't even work and there's no picture. Well I just got my replacement phone in the mail and I need to start over. The last phone only had a root done and no custom rom.

What would be the easiest way to root and to install a rom? I clearly am not the type of person who would change out a ROM everytime something new comes out and would only do so if it was truly needed or I really hated what was installed. I believe I'm going to go with Wicked v10 since it has some really good reviews.

Also do I need to change out the bootrom or anything else to improve on my use on T-Mobile?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Kriptik210
Old
Thanks Meter 108
First you need to find out what firmware came on your new phone (Bootloader and Baseband) so you know which method you can use to root. As for a ROM it's best that you search for one that suits your needs (XDA forbids posting about which ROM is better. It turns into arguments). And to boost you signal you can flash the NB4 modem (that's if your phone didn't already come with it stock).

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
.............Sent from an A.I. frequency.............