[Q] Very confused on my options

19th August 2014, 01:15 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
I have a S4 - with 4.4.2 stock . Sadily ever since the update I had nothing but issues. Getting my 2nd replacement tomorrow to try and resolve this issue where the cell radio locks up and I have no connectivity .

At this point I am ready just say screw the warranty but I dont know what I can do as there so many threads it is very confusing.

Note at this point i dont care about tripping the efuse.

From what I have read is that I can root the phone. But where I am confused at is if I can load custom bootloader /roms I had a moto cliq2 with a locked boot loader that then eventually loaded a 2nd boot loader and then the rom.

Really if anyone can clear up where i stand on getting one of the 4.4.4 aosp roms on the phone I be greatly appreciated.
19th August 2014, 05:20 AM   |  #2  
Flag Houston
Thanks Meter: 717

2,236 posts
More
Bootloader is not locked on this device, so just flash custom recovery with Odin and flash your ROM
19th August 2014, 05:28 AM   |  #3  
Flag Sioux Falls, SD
Thanks Meter: 19

183 posts
More
+1 serio... If you're not on the evil bastard vzw service, then:root, intstall custom recovery and flash what you want!! You're lucky enough to have a device that hasn't had its n-ts cut off!! I have sprint as a carrier, so I'm in the same boat as you, but I've been collecting phones from all carriers for a while now and since vzw has such a monopoly on the us, I've racked up about 9 vzw phones with locked bootloaders. You're actually quite in luck man. Root, install recovery, ROM, profit!
19th August 2014, 05:47 AM   |  #4  
Flag Houston

2,236 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by youdoofus

+1 serio... If you're not on the evil bastard vzw service, then:root, intstall custom recovery and flash what you want!! You're lucky enough to have a device that hasn't had its n-ts cut off!! I have sprint as a carrier, so I'm in the same boat as you, but I've been collecting phones from all carriers for a while now and since vzw has such a monopoly on the us, I've racked up about 9 vzw phones with locked bootloaders. You're actually quite in luck man. Root, install recovery, ROM, profit!

Actually no root is needed. Just flash recovery with Odin and flash ROM
19th August 2014, 08:32 PM   |  #5  
Flag Sioux Falls, SD

183 posts
More
Fair point, as recovery supercedes root since its not within the os, but whats the fun of romming without rooting?

Sent from my SM-G900P using XDA Free mobile app
19th August 2014, 09:04 PM   |  #6  
Flag Atlanta, GA
Thanks Meter: 33

86 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by youdoofus

Fair point, as recovery supercedes root since its not within the os, but whats the fun of romming without rooting?

All custom ROMs come pre-rooted. So no reason to root the stock ROM, if all you will be doing is flashing a custom ROM. Just eliminates a step.

Rob
20th August 2014, 01:52 AM   |  #7  
Flag Houston

2,236 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlichtefeld

All custom ROMs come pre-rooted. So no reason to root the stock ROM, if all you will be doing is flashing a custom ROM. Just eliminates a step.

Rob

Many people think you have to be rooted to flash a custom recovery, I think this is why they said that
20th August 2014, 02:10 AM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by serio22

Actually no root is needed. Just flash recovery with Odin and flash ROM

Ok so knox does not lock the boot loader just acts as a trigger for the annoying efuse.

Question still comes down to if I root install recovery and then flash or flash with oldin and not deal with the boot loader. I just got my 2nd replacement another one with 4.4.2 I give it a few days if it does not act up great if it does I just going to flash it .
As the current stock 4.4.2 has caused nothing but connectivity issues for me.
20th August 2014, 02:26 AM   |  #9  
Flag Houston

2,236 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawa78

Ok so knox does not lock the boot loader just acts as a trigger for the annoying efuse.

Question still comes down to if I root install recovery and then flash or flash with oldin and not deal with the boot loader. I just got my 2nd replacement another one with 4.4.2 I give it a few days if it does not act up great if it does I just going to flash it .
As the current stock 4.4.2 has caused nothing but connectivity issues for me.

Just forget the bootloader it is not locked, and no root is needed to flash recovery. Just flash custom recovery of your choice with Odin, reboot straight into recovery RIGHT after, and flash ROM

Edit: and yes pretty much the only thing that will happen is that your counter will be tripped
6th September 2014, 07:25 PM   |  #10  
Flag Sioux Falls, SD

183 posts
More
Just thought of something while flashing a new ROM on my nexus 7 flo. If all custom ROMs are rooted, why then is it then that when you flash some ROMs, root can break? I flashed a different ROM on the n7 and lost root until I went back and reran the exploit

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread