Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,743,029 Members 42,650 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Phone Boots when battery is connected then goes black.

Tip us?
 
daemorok
Old
#1  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 32
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philadelphia PA
Default [Q] Phone Boots when battery is connected then goes black.

First thing is first, I have been searching here and Google and have not found this exact problem.

I am running cm-11-20140719-NIGHTLY currently

Today my phone turned off on its own while connected to a car charger.

Here is what it is doing.

When the battery is connected the phone turns on and gets to the Samsung logo, then it goes black. No back light, nothing. If I pull the battery and re-insert it, it happens again. Once it goes black none of the buttons seem to be responsive (cannot force a reboot by holding the power button). Once it goes black if I connect it to a charger I get no LED indicating charge level.

If I try to boot into recovery I see the blue text and then it goes black.

If I try to boot into download mode I can get to the triangle screen if I am fast and then it goes black.

If I have a data USB cable connected and I connect the battery the phone does nothing, and will not respond to the power button, again no LED light indicating charge level.

If I have a charge only cable (wall outlet) connected and I connect the battery I see the battery charge icon for about 1 second and then the screen goes black. and the phone will not respond to any buttons.

I have duplicated all these things with 2 batteries both actual Samsung batteries, neither of the batteries is bubbled out at all.

I have tried leaving the battery out for several hours, but this did not help.

I have data on this phone that was not backed up so any suggestions I will try.

Thanks
 
The Sickness
Old
#2  
The Sickness's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 8171
Posts: 3,943
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Somewhere in Texas

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by daemorok View Post
First thing is first, I have been searching here and Google and have not found this exact problem.

I am running cm-11-20140719-NIGHTLY currently

Today my phone turned off on its own while connected to a car charger.

Here is what it is doing.

When the battery is connected the phone turns on and gets to the Samsung logo, then it goes black. No back light, nothing. If I pull the battery and re-insert it, it happens again. Once it goes black none of the buttons seem to be responsive (cannot force a reboot by holding the power button). Once it goes black if I connect it to a charger I get no LED indicating charge level.

If I try to boot into recovery I see the blue text and then it goes black.

If I try to boot into download mode I can get to the triangle screen if I am fast and then it goes black.

If I have a data USB cable connected and I connect the battery the phone does nothing, and will not respond to the power button, again no LED light indicating charge level.

If I have a charge only cable (wall outlet) connected and I connect the battery I see the battery charge icon for about 1 second and then the screen goes black. and the phone will not respond to any buttons.

I have duplicated all these things with 2 batteries both actual Samsung batteries, neither of the batteries is bubbled out at all.

I have tried leaving the battery out for several hours, but this did not help.

I have data on this phone that was not backed up so any suggestions I will try.

Thanks
Return to stock with Odin to see if the problem goes away. If not, report back and we will go from there.
 
daemorok
Old
#3  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 32
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philadelphia PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sickness View Post
Return to stock with Odin to see if the problem goes away. If not, report back and we will go from there.
I would if I could get it into download mode... The screen will not stay on for more than 5 seconds and ODIN never sees the phone.
 
Android_Monsters
Old
#4  
Android_Monsters's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 857
Posts: 2,961
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Here's a thread talking about that issue. I'm afraid it sounds like your display is dead:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2267827

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to Android_Monsters For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
NinjaTale
Old
#5  
NinjaTale's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Jul 2014
I had this problem before and I was freaking out, but it was just the cord I used when trying to connect it, but yours sounds like an overload problem, maybe from your car charger if it plugs into the car lighter socket. My buddy has a super recharger that hooks into his lighter socket, and while it may charge fast, it might have jolted your phone, or maybe you had it over clocked in your rom? Or was it a recent occurrence or did it happen as soon as you installed the rom? Because this happens on a bad flash sometimes, if your Wi-Fi connection is shaky or far off, you could get a bad download and it will royally harm your time having to mess with it.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using XDA Free mobile app
 
daemorok
Old
#6  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 32
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philadelphia PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Android_Monsters View Post
Here's a thread talking about that issue. I'm afraid it sounds like your display is dead:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2267827

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
If it was just the screen wouldn't I still be able to get into download mode?
 
daemorok
Old
#7  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 32
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philadelphia PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaTale View Post
I had this problem before and I was freaking out, but it was just the cord I used when trying to connect it, but yours sounds like an overload problem, maybe from your car charger if it plugs into the car lighter socket. My buddy has a super recharger that hooks into his lighter socket, and while it may charge fast, it might have jolted your phone, or maybe you had it over clocked in your rom? Or was it a recent occurrence or did it happen as soon as you installed the rom? Because this happens on a bad flash sometimes, if your Wi-Fi connection is shaky or far off, you could get a bad download and it will royally harm your time having to mess with it.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using XDA Free mobile app
I had flashed the night before and it ran fine all night and all morning, then it just shut down. The car charger I use is not a super charger, but it is also not a Samsung charger. I was not overclocked and my wifi is not shaky usually.

Seems like I am screwed either way.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes