IMEI null, Service Mode Blank, Baseband Unknown

Tip us?

ess.boyer
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 219
Default IMEI null, Service Mode Blank, Baseband Unknown

Hey all!

I have a Canadian S4 (SGH-M919V) from WIND Mobile that my friend gave to me, broken.

I have already tried just about everything I can think of, and everything I read online to repair it.

It has a NULL IMEI (as verified by doing *#06#), and when I enter the Service Mode menu via *#0011#, the menu screen comes up but is just black and blank. The Baseband version displays as "Unknown".

I have tried flashing a few different stock roms (via Odin) for that particular phone, and have even tried AOSP roms (via TWRP), to no avail.

I have followed guides for restoring a blank IMEI, however, all the methods I tried required a working Service Mode, which I do not have.

At this point I'm thinking the problem is either hardware, or, it needs to have the IMEI reset via the JTAG, and I don't have the stuff to do that.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
HTC One m7ul (on Bell Canada)
OneDroid Beta 15 (KK 4.4.2)
TWRP 2.6.3.3
Firmware: 3.17.401.2 - Radio: 4T.20.3218.03
hboot: 2.24.401.1 - S-OFF (Revone)

Other Devices: HTC Raider (Holiday), HTC One V

My Dev Work for HTC Holiday
ICEss 0.4 Stockish ROM
Unofficial Holics 1.3 ROM w/ Marine's Theme, Battery Improvements and Holics 0730 Kernel
Unofficial Holics 0730 Kernel for S-OFF (Aroma Installer) or S-ON
(All Credit for Holics goes to Bananacakes)

Skipjacks
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by ess.boyer View Post
Hey all!

I have a Canadian S4 (SGH-M919V) from WIND Mobile that my friend gave to me, broken.

I have already tried just about everything I can think of, and everything I read online to repair it.

It has a NULL IMEI (as verified by doing *#06#), and when I enter the Service Mode menu via *#0011#, the menu screen comes up but is just black and blank. The Baseband version displays as "Unknown".

I have tried flashing a few different stock roms (via Odin) for that particular phone, and have even tried AOSP roms (via TWRP), to no avail.

I have followed guides for restoring a blank IMEI, however, all the methods I tried required a working Service Mode, which I do not have.

At this point I'm thinking the problem is either hardware, or, it needs to have the IMEI reset via the JTAG, and I don't have the stuff to do that.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Unfortunately you are going to have to get your information on fixing this elsewhere.

Discussion about changing the IMEI (even from 0 to a working value) are forbidden on XDA as making changes to an IMEI is illegal in most places in the world. And people use that info to make it easier to steal phones, so we don't discuss it here.

The only thing that I can advise you on is to restore the EFS backup, which includes that devices original IMEI, if one was made and saved to the device. If not, that's no help at all.

I can say that you're on the right track though as far as fixing it. But you need to find your answers somewhere else.
Do you want insanely better battery drain when your phone is idle? Check out this thread!
Have a question about the T Mobile Samsung Galaxy S4? Click here for the Help Thread!

ess.boyer
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipjacks View Post
Unfortunately you are going to have to get your information on fixing this elsewhere.

Discussion about changing the IMEI (even from 0 to a working value) are forbidden on XDA as making changes to an IMEI is illegal in most places in the world. And people use that info to make it easier to steal phones, so we don't discuss it here.

The only thing that I can advise you on is to restore the EFS backup, which includes that devices original IMEI, if one was made and saved to the device. If not, that's no help at all.

I can say that you're on the right track though as far as fixing it. But you need to find your answers somewhere else.
Thanks for the reply. I realize the issues surrounding changing the IMEI, so I wasn't looking for help with that necessarily (though I would be open to doing so as the phone does have it's own perfectly legal and valid IMEI which I would be using).

I was hoping that perhaps all that was wrong was a corrupt modem, or something along those lines. I have tried to do an EFS restore, but to no avail. Some guides suggest doing a backup of the presumably corrupt EFS and then restoring it, but that didn't help either.

I am probably just going to have to chalk this up to "unfixable", as it most likely is indeed hardware damage.

So unless anyone else has any ideas...
HTC One m7ul (on Bell Canada)
OneDroid Beta 15 (KK 4.4.2)
TWRP 2.6.3.3
Firmware: 3.17.401.2 - Radio: 4T.20.3218.03
hboot: 2.24.401.1 - S-OFF (Revone)

Other Devices: HTC Raider (Holiday), HTC One V

My Dev Work for HTC Holiday
ICEss 0.4 Stockish ROM
Unofficial Holics 1.3 ROM w/ Marine's Theme, Battery Improvements and Holics 0730 Kernel
Unofficial Holics 0730 Kernel for S-OFF (Aroma Installer) or S-ON
(All Credit for Holics goes to Bananacakes)

Skipjacks
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by ess.boyer View Post
Thanks for the reply. I realize the issues surrounding changing the IMEI, so I wasn't looking for help with that necessarily (though I would be open to doing so as the phone does have it's own perfectly legal and valid IMEI which I would be using).

I was hoping that perhaps all that was wrong was a corrupt modem, or something along those lines. I have tried to do an EFS restore, but to no avail. Some guides suggest doing a backup of the presumably corrupt EFS and then restoring it, but that didn't help either.

I am probably just going to have to chalk this up to "unfixable", as it most likely is indeed hardware damage.

So unless anyone else has any ideas...
If you have the valid IMEI that is confirmed good it is fixable. But it just can't be discussed here. I wouldn't throw the phone out. (If nothing else it's a GREAT tiny tablet for wifi use.)

Google will help you out.
Do you want insanely better battery drain when your phone is idle? Check out this thread!
Have a question about the T Mobile Samsung Galaxy S4? Click here for the Help Thread!