[Q] Phone Boots when battery is connected then goes black.

Search This thread

daemorok

Aug 23, 2009
Philadelphia PA
First thing is first, I have been searching here and Google and have not found this exact problem.

I am running cm-11-20140719-NIGHTLY currently

Today my phone turned off on its own while connected to a car charger.

Here is what it is doing.

When the battery is connected the phone turns on and gets to the Samsung logo, then it goes black. No back light, nothing. If I pull the battery and re-insert it, it happens again. Once it goes black none of the buttons seem to be responsive (cannot force a reboot by holding the power button). Once it goes black if I connect it to a charger I get no LED indicating charge level.

If I try to boot into recovery I see the blue text and then it goes black.

If I try to boot into download mode I can get to the triangle screen if I am fast and then it goes black.

If I have a data USB cable connected and I connect the battery the phone does nothing, and will not respond to the power button, again no LED light indicating charge level.

If I have a charge only cable (wall outlet) connected and I connect the battery I see the battery charge icon for about 1 second and then the screen goes black. and the phone will not respond to any buttons.

I have duplicated all these things with 2 batteries both actual Samsung batteries, neither of the batteries is bubbled out at all.

I have tried leaving the battery out for several hours, but this did not help.

I have data on this phone that was not backed up so any suggestions I will try.

Thanks

The Sickness

Retired Recognized Developer
Oct 27, 2012
Somewhere in Texas
First thing is first, I have been searching here and Google and have not found this exact problem.

When the battery is connected the phone turns on and gets to the Samsung logo, then it goes black. No back light, nothing. If I pull the battery and re-insert it, it happens again. Once it goes black none of the buttons seem to be responsive (cannot force a reboot by holding the power button). Once it goes black if I connect it to a charger I get no LED indicating charge level.

If I try to boot into download mode I can get to the triangle screen if I am fast and then it goes black.

If I have a data USB cable connected and I connect the battery the phone does nothing, and will not respond to the power button, again no LED light indicating charge level.

If I have a charge only cable (wall outlet) connected and I connect the battery I see the battery charge icon for about 1 second and then the screen goes black. and the phone will not respond to any buttons.

I have duplicated all these things with 2 batteries both actual Samsung batteries, neither of the batteries is bubbled out at all.

Thanks

Return to stock with Odin to see if the problem goes away. If not, report back and we will go from there.

NinjaTale

Jul 20, 2014
I had this problem before and I was freaking out, but it was just the cord I used when trying to connect it, but yours sounds like an overload problem, maybe from your car charger if it plugs into the car lighter socket. My buddy has a super recharger that hooks into his lighter socket, and while it may charge fast, it might have jolted your phone, or maybe you had it over clocked in your rom? Or was it a recent occurrence or did it happen as soon as you installed the rom? Because this happens on a bad flash sometimes, if your Wi-Fi connection is shaky or far off, you could get a bad download and it will royally harm your time having to mess with it.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using XDA Free mobile app

daemorok

Aug 23, 2009
Philadelphia PA
I had this problem before and I was freaking out, but it was just the cord I used when trying to connect it, but yours sounds like an overload problem, maybe from your car charger if it plugs into the car lighter socket. My buddy has a super recharger that hooks into his lighter socket, and while it may charge fast, it might have jolted your phone, or maybe you had it over clocked in your rom? Or was it a recent occurrence or did it happen as soon as you installed the rom? Because this happens on a bad flash sometimes, if your Wi-Fi connection is shaky or far off, you could get a bad download and it will royally harm your time having to mess with it.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using XDA Free mobile app

I had flashed the night before and it ran fine all night and all morning, then it just shut down. The car charger I use is not a super charger, but it is also not a Samsung charger. I was not overclocked and my wifi is not shaky usually.

Seems like I am screwed either way.

jamesvtw

Feb 15, 2011

Thanks

This blows, I just had the Same Exact thing happen last night, word for word.
Although I'm on a stock Rom that's rooted.
Phone was in my pocket and it vibrated as it restarted on its own. Pulled it out of my pocket, waited for it to fully start up, then I could use it.
However, it rebooted 2 minutes later and has Never come back yet.
I wish there was some sure fire way to verify if its the screen that went bad or the logic board. The mere fact the screen shows the Galaxy S4 logo, or Download Mode for a few seconds before shutting off seems weird if the screen was in fact bad.... =(

serio22

Jul 1, 2012
Houston
This blows, I just had the Same Exact thing happen last night, word for word.
Although I'm on a stock Rom that's rooted.
Phone was in my pocket and it vibrated as it restarted on its own. Pulled it out of my pocket, waited for it to fully start up, then I could use it.
However, it rebooted 2 minutes later and has Never come back yet.
I wish there was some sure fire way to verify if its the screen that went bad or the logic board. The mere fact the screen shows the Galaxy S4 logo, or Download Mode for a few seconds before shutting off seems weird if the screen was in fact bad.... =(
Check your power button, it could be stuck.

jamesvtw

Feb 15, 2011
Check your power button, it could be stuck.

You were correct! Had to mess with that button a bit to get to work properly, but its still an issue. One to many power button presses and the issue returns.

I have tested the phone without the exterior power button only using the logic board button and it did that same thing. Am I correct to assume that the fault is the actual button on the logic board? So new logic board to fix this? =(

Top Liked Posts