Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,757 Members 36,977 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Phone really seems to be bricked

Tip us?

Mralexander006
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Default [Q] Phone really seems to be bricked

Hi all, I'm hoping someone can help, but I'm not too optimistic. I have a SGH-M919 (T-Mobile Galaxy S4) that had a tripped KNOX bootloader and I had been installing custom ROMs on it. I wanted to ODIN back to stock, but it has caused all kinds of problems.

I was using ODIN v3.09 to ODIN the NB4 complete .tar file from Sammobile under the "AP" section with only Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time checked. It got what looked like about 95% complete and then showed FAILED. It gets to a point where it will say:

"Complete(Write) operation failed"

Upon rebooting, the phone says "Firmware upgrade ecountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again."

The phone will go into Download mode still but it will not go into Recovery mode.

After the above combination failed, I've tried using ODIN v.3.07 and v1.85, different official and unofficial firmwares (NB4, MK2, Fenny's NB4), tried various USB ports on my computer, and even tried another computer. Each time ODIN fails, and sometimes much earlier in the process.

I also tried installing using Kies after all of the above failed, but Kies will not recognize the phone at all.

Is it dead, or does anyone know of something else I can try? Upon my searching, most recommendations to "brick" problems seems to just be to ODIN like I did above =/.

Thank you for any help!

serio22
Old
Thanks Meter 700
Have you tried flashing recovery and then booting right away to it?
The Following User Says Thank You to serio22 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Mralexander006
Old
(Last edited by Mralexander006; 22nd July 2014 at 04:50 PM.) Reason: update
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by serio22 View Post
Have you tried flashing recovery and then booting right away to it?
I was able to flash a recovery, which is good news. The one I had on hand was Philz, which I could go straight into. Now I have a problem with /data not being able to mount, and no ROM I install from recovery seems to boot, even a full nandroid backup... Any ideas from there?

UPDATE: I flashed TWRP 2.5.0.2 and was able to format /Data, reinstalled a ROM, and it booted!! Thanks so much!!

serio22
Old
Thanks Meter 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mralexander006 View Post
UPDATE: I flashed TWRP 2.5.0.2 and was able to format /Data, reinstalled a ROM, and it booted!! Thanks so much!!
Good! That's what I was gonna suggest
The Following User Says Thank You to serio22 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hyperenigma
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mralexander006 View Post
I was able to flash a recovery, which is good news. The one I had on hand was Philz, which I could go straight into. Now I have a problem with /data not being able to mount, and no ROM I install from recovery seems to boot, even a full nandroid backup... Any ideas from there?

Hi. I'm having the same issue here. Can you please elaborate on what you did exactly? Thanks

dtr145r
Old
Thanks Meter 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperenigma View Post
Hi. I'm having the same issue here. Can you please elaborate on what you did exactly? Thanks
ive read forums and trying different things for 6+ hours and was having no luck.
i read that someone took it to a best buy where they have a samsung kiosk because they can reflash the firmware.
i took it there but they were unable to reflash it.
they had the same problems i was having.
i literally just tried odin again and it worked.

i think mayb them hooking it up to their computer did something to it which then allowed me to get it to work.

if that doesnt work you can also send it back to samsung to have it reflashed,

both are FREE of charge. ( most people dont know that.

best of luck to you.
Mighty Text<--- Try it out! send texts from the computer using our cell number!

Macrodriod Device Automation

Device 1: .: Galaxy S5 Sprint :.
Rom: .: Odexed Cyanogen Mod 11 :.
Recovery: .: TWRP 2.7.2.0 :.
[SIZE="1"]

Mralexander006
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Hey sorry, have been swamped with work. Did you ever get it working or still need help?

Mralexander006
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Using ODIN to flash a complete ROM would always fail, bit have you tried flashing just TWRP recovery? For me that worked, and from there I could reformat the /data folder, and flash a new ROM in recovery. Never was able to use Odin for a full ROM but that method was good enough.

Tags
brick, galaxy s4, odin fail, sgh-m919