Refurb Super Luck: MDL Device! Some Qs

19th August 2014, 02:19 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Indianapolis Metro
Thanks Meter: 43

205 posts
More
Hi folks,

I'm an ATT cellular user but I got tired of the locked bootloaders that the ATT devices have. I bought from a reputable seller on Swappa a factory unlocked unused replacement SGH-M919, since T-Mobile devices are generally compatible with ATT networks, and don't have locked bootloaders. I figured it would come with NB4, and was all prepared to Towelroot it and install a custom recovery and trip my Knox warranty counter.

Lo and behold, when I turned it on (no SIM installed yet), it has the 4.2.2 MDL firmware. <shocked happy dance> NO KNOX AT ALL!

Question 1: is there any risk of the thing downloading and installing the NB4 update if it has no SIM at all, just a WIFI connection? I've disconnected it from the wifi here at home for now. In fact, it's off.

Question 2: I need to test out the "Factory Unlocked" part of the equation in the next couple days so I can complete the sale. If I put in an ATT SIM (and configure the APN manually for ATT settings), is there any risk of it downloading the NB4?

I figure it must be connected to the T-Mobile network to get an update, but just wanted to check to make sure before I accidentally mess up this godsend.

Question 3: It looks to be straightforward from here, right? Root with CF-Autoroot, install TWRP or CWM, install ROM... right? I'm no stranger to ODIN or flashing stuff (after all the messing around needed on ATT phones... safestrap.... the horror of a locked bootloader).

FWIW I'm headed straight to Dirty Unicorns ROM. Looks like a really cool ROM. So much more to choose from on the T-Mobile M919 than on the I337 ATT phone.

If I've missed anything, please let me know. I will start a thread on my "ATT User with M919 Experience"... I've missed such a thread here, and with lots of ATT folks sick of locked up boot loaders, maybe my fumblings will help someone.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Marc
19th August 2014, 04:55 AM   |  #2  
Flag Houston
Thanks Meter: 717

2,236 posts
More
1) No, it may say there is an update but it won't download it or update without your concern

2) only if you select OK to download and update.. You can still OTA, it doesn't have to be running on T-Mobile network

3) you can use cf-auto root but its not needed. Just flash recovery with Odin, and flash ROM like you normally would
The Following User Says Thank You to serio22 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th August 2014, 11:34 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Indianapolis Metro
Thanks Meter: 43

205 posts
More
Thanks. For some reason I thought I had to have root to flash the recovery. This probably stems from my experience with an ATT phone where root was required to install SafeStrap, which was the only recovery option we had.

Awesome.

I will start a thread later this week to collect info to help other ATT users with these phones.

Marc
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread