[Q] Soft brick recovery problems on T-Mobile S4

28th August 2014, 07:16 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag Portland, OR
Thanks Meter: 2

5 posts
More
Last night I installed a new nightly update of Cyanogenmod for my S4. Unlike the last few times, it went into a boot loop.

I could not get it to go into recovery. The twrm recovery hung on the load screen. I installed cm recovery. That worked, but reformatting /data causes a reboot.

I got a stock image for 4.4.2 and flashed that. That would boot, but it now claims that the /data partition is encrypted. It does not decrypt with any password I have ever used.

Any idea how I can reformat /data without recovery? I could use heimdall, but I do not have a data.img. Any idea where I can find one?

This is REAL frustrating. I could probably fix it in an adb shell, but I have not been able to get to that either.

Ideas?
28th August 2014, 06:48 PM   |  #2  
OP Junior Member
Flag Portland, OR

5 posts
More
Unhappy May be pining for the fjords.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanO2

Last night I installed a new nightly update of Cyanogenmod for my S4. Unlike the last few times, it went into a boot loop.

I could not get it to go into recovery. The twrm recovery hung on the load screen. I installed cm recovery. That worked, but reformatting /data causes a reboot.

I got a stock image for 4.4.2 and flashed that. That would boot, but it now claims that the /data partition is encrypted. It does not decrypt with any password I have ever used.

Any idea how I can reformat /data without recovery? I could use heimdall, but I do not have a data.img. Any idea where I can find one?

This is REAL frustrating. I could probably fix it in an adb shell, but I have not been able to get to that either.

Ideas?

The more I look at this, the more I think that the media that /data lives on is dying/dead. It is the only thing that explains the reboot when I try and do a factory reset. I am going to see if I can get an exchange on the phone. Wish me luck.
28th August 2014, 07:38 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Flag Portland, OR

5 posts
More
Cool SOLVED!
I figured out what it takes to resolved the brickatude.

Flash back to stock including the original recovery. Use the original recovery to do a factory reset. That works!

For some reason the original recovery will work where the CM recovery bjorks out and reboots the device.

Also, there are rumors that the stock recovery resets the Knox flag. This is not true. It just no longer displays the status every time you boot. The flag is still set, the OS just does not seem to care.

BTW, getting into recovery is a pain in the ass no matter what. It took me about 5-6 tries to get it to work. There seems to be some sort of timing issue as to when you need to release the buttons and you have to get it just right or it won't work. Don't give up.

Also, get the stock firmware from sammobile.com. The other sites listed kept trying to install malware on my machine. (Pretty funny when it tried to claim I needed a Windows update on my Linux system.) At some point I will yank down the malware and see what it does.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread