Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,337 Members 38,965 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Phone randomly reeboots, stuck on splash screen

Tip us?

_meep_
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Phone randomly reeboots, stuck on splash screen

Hey guys,
I recently updated to Kitkat (by mistake) through odin and ever since then my phone would randomly freeze, reboots, and stay on the splash-screen. When it does, it gets really warm around the Sim card area. I'm running stock, no root, and have looked everywhere for a solution, but haven't found anything similar to my predicament. I've factory-reset,and noticed that it also freezes when I try to go into recovery. Weirdly, If I turn on my phone, and connect it to the charger, it'll boot like normal, just to randomly freeze and reset some other time Any help? I already triggered my knox flag, so at this point I am just looking for anything to give me a stable phone once again

lordcheeto03
Old
Thanks Meter 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by _meep_ View Post
Hey guys,
I recently updated to Kitkat (by mistake) through odin and ever since then my phone would randomly freeze, reboots, and stay on the splash-screen. When it does, it gets really warm around the Sim card area. I'm running stock, no root, and have looked everywhere for a solution, but haven't found anything similar to my predicament. I've factory-reset,and noticed that it also freezes when I try to go into recovery. Weirdly, If I turn on my phone, and connect it to the charger, it'll boot like normal, just to randomly freeze and reset some other time Any help? I already triggered my knox flag, so at this point I am just looking for anything to give me a stable phone once again
Because your KNOX flag is already tripped, I'd say go ahead and flash a custom recovery and an AOSP ROM. Doesn't matter which one, just something that isn't TouchWiz. Once you've flashed AOSP, revert back to stock 4.4.2 firmware through Odin. I say to do that because I've noticed that if I Odin flash a stock firmware while I'm running a TW ROM, a lot of things don't get touched. When I was fiddling around with Ubuntu Touch, some directories in /system that were used by Touch would remain intact through Odin flashes if I was on TW, along with various pieces of user data, background pictures, etc. Coming from AOSP though would completely wipe everything and start from scratch.
Don't be afraid of the "Thanks" button
The Following User Says Thank You to lordcheeto03 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

_meep_
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Possible Downgrade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordcheeto03 View Post
Because your KNOX flag is already tripped, I'd say go ahead and flash a custom recovery and an AOSP ROM. Doesn't matter which one, just something that isn't TouchWiz. Once you've flashed AOSP, revert back to stock 4.4.2 firmware through Odin. I say to do that because I've noticed that if I Odin flash a stock firmware while I'm running a TW ROM, a lot of things don't get touched. When I was fiddling around with Ubuntu Touch, some directories in /system that were used by Touch would remain intact through Odin flashes if I was on TW, along with various pieces of user data, background pictures, etc. Coming from AOSP though would completely wipe everything and start from scratch.
Thanks for the quick reply! Im downloading an AOKP rom as I'm typing this haha, and I was wondering if at this point I could just go back to Jelly Bean? I've been reading around, and everything says you cant because of the kitkat bootoader, but I'm pretty sure there's a way around the bootloader...Like I said, I flashed a kitkat rom by mistake
Hope I didn't just hijack my own thread

lordcheeto03
Old
Thanks Meter 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by _meep_ View Post
Thanks for the quick reply! Im downloading an AOKP rom as I'm typing this haha, and I was wondering if at this point I could just go back to Jelly Bean? I've been reading around, and everything says you cant because of the kitkat bootoader, but I'm pretty sure there's a way around the bootloader...Like I said, I flashed a kitkat rom by mistake
Hope I didn't just hijack my own thread
I don't know for 100% certain about how KNOX works when flashing custom ROMs... I do know that you can't flash official firmware that is below your current version; but I THINK you can flash any custom ROM. Don't quote me on that or get mad at me if it doesn't work lol.
Don't be afraid of the "Thanks" button