[Q] Carrier unlock T-Mobile s4

4th August 2014, 05:56 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag Vallejo
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Donate to Me
More
I have a T-Mobile s4, which is turned off due to non payment and I want to hook it up with another carrier. I tried the info given to unlock it but after I enter the number, it doesn't go to the screen shown on the video. Is there anything I can do besides pay T-Mobile?
4th August 2014, 07:29 AM   |  #2  
Flag Murfreesboro
Thanks Meter: 202

486 posts
Donate to Me
More
Nope. I'm pretty sure that you have to have an active line to unlock.
5th August 2014, 01:30 AM   |  #3  
Flag IHB
Thanks Meter: 2,076

1,793 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplekity415

I have a T-Mobile s4, which is turned off due to non payment and I want to hook it up with another carrier. I tried the info given to unlock it but after I enter the number, it doesn't go to the screen shown on the video. Is there anything I can do besides pay T-Mobile?

None payment of service or non payment on device?

Either which way your device is black listed. But if for non payment on device, technically device is stolen.

And either each way, this is probably a grey area to discuss on xda
Last edited by ShinySide; 5th August 2014 at 01:34 AM.
5th August 2014, 01:54 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Flag Vallejo
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Donate to Me
More
carrier unlock s4
[QUOTE=ShinySide;54616652]None payment of service or non payment on device?

Either which way your device is black listed. But if for non payment on device, technically device is stolen.

And either each way, this is probably a grey area to discuss on xda[/QUOTE

Hi, thank you for getting back to me so soon. It is off due to non payment of the bill and i put down half on the phone, so i guess its for both. I lost my job and could not afford to pay anything to anyone until i got my unemployment, anyway i wonder if i will have a problem restoring the service when i get paid? Thanks again.

denise
9th August 2014, 02:33 AM   |  #5  
Flag Providence
Thanks Meter: 78

205 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinySide

None payment of service or non payment on device?

And either each way, this is probably a grey area to discuss on xda

I hope what you mean is that carrier locking of phones is borderline criminal. There is nothing morally wrong with unlocking your own phone. If you don't pay your electric bill, they don't confiscate your lights.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk
9th August 2014, 02:59 AM   |  #6  
Flag IHB

1,793 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhannigan

I hope what you mean is that carrier locking of phones is borderline criminal. There is nothing morally wrong with unlocking your own phone. If you don't pay your electric bill, they don't confiscate your lights.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

Guess you dont understand what I meant by non payment on the phone. i.e. Tmos payment plan to pay off the phone. Which you are in a contract to pay off the device. And if you dont fulfill the contract....guess who legally owns it? Cant buy a car not pay the bank and say hey i dont bank with you anymore so now I own the car legally....
9th August 2014, 03:37 AM   |  #7  
Flag Providence
Thanks Meter: 78

205 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinySide

Guess you dont understand what I meant by non payment on the phone. i.e. Tmos payment plan to pay off the phone. Which you are in a contract to pay off the device. And if you dont fulfill the contract....guess who legally owns it? Cant buy a car not pay the bank and say hey i dont bank with you anymore so now I own the car legally....

Actually, it would be a little bit more like not paying your OnStar subscription fee and then having someone in a forum talk down to you like you stole the car because of it.

There is a huge difference here. The phone and the "contract" being intermingled with control over using the phone is nothing more than a tool to blackmail the customer into staying with the provider. T-Mobile's primary business is providing service for a monthly fee. I paid cash for my T-Mobile branded phone ($700+). But when I traveled abroad about a month later, they refused to unlock it because I had not had it with T-Mobile service yet for 40 days (although I have been with T-Mobile for at least a decade).

Like I said, when you don't pay your electric, they don't disable your lamps and your TV. They don't even come take your CFL bulbs that they subsidized. I get to use those bulbs with a windmill if I want to. When you don't pay your landline bill, they don't remotely disable your Panasonic cordless phone. If they COULD, they WOULD, but we wouldn't tolerate it. Unfortunately, there are people (like you) who have been lulled into thinking that this is OK when it comes to cell phones. Being a Senior Member, I think you should set a better example and use your critical thinking - and not simply imply that someone who didn't pay their cell bill shouldn't even be discussing it in public.

That was my point - indicating that you're not even sure if it should be discussed here is a bit dramatic - the guy isn't trying to screw anyone - just exploring his options. He paid for half of the phone up front, and paid for service for somewhere between 0 and 2 years. If anyone has been screwed, it's him by being held hostage.

A cell phone and a financed automobile are in different ballparks, my friend. I think you know that.

Mike
9th August 2014, 04:16 AM   |  #8  
Flag IHB

1,793 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhannigan

Actually, it would be a little bit more like not paying your OnStar subscription fee and then having someone in a forum talk down to you like you stole the car because of it.

There is a huge difference here. The phone and the "contract" being intermingled with control over using the phone is nothing more than a tool to blackmail the customer into staying with the provider. T-Mobile's primary business is providing service for a monthly fee. I paid cash for my T-Mobile branded phone ($700+). But when I traveled abroad about a month later, they refused to unlock it because I had not had it with T-Mobile service yet for 40 days (although I have been with T-Mobile for at least a decade).

Like I said, when you don't pay your electric, they don't disable your lamps and your TV. They don't even come take your CFL bulbs that they subsidized. I get to use those bulbs with a windmill if I want to. When you don't pay your landline bill, they don't remotely disable your Panasonic cordless phone. If they COULD, they WOULD, but we wouldn't tolerate it. Unfortunately, there are people (like you) who have been lulled into thinking that this is OK when it comes to cell phones. Being a Senior Member, I think you should set a better example and use your critical thinking - and not simply imply that someone who didn't pay their cell bill shouldn't even be discussing it in public.

That was my point - indicating that you're not even sure if it should be discussed here is a bit dramatic - the guy isn't trying to screw anyone - just exploring his options. He paid for half of the phone up front, and paid for service for somewhere between 0 and 2 years. If anyone has been screwed, it's him by being held hostage.

A cell phone and a financed automobile are in different ballparks, my friend. I think you know that.

Mike

Ahaha Okay so according to your logic, Everyone go to Tmobile Only put a down payment down then run off with the phone and you legally own it. Sounds so legit and logical. Their not going to unlock a phone they legally own because some one didnt pay it off. Or unlock your phone for you when you owe them money. Nor let you use it on their service under a different account. Why? Because everyone will just rack their bill up then just open a new account so they dont have to pay that racked up bill off. Obviously you dont understand how a business and contracts work. Hes not being "held hostage" he/she just isnt going to receive a service (ie unlock code) when he/she owes money.

Is but same logic. Dont pay your phone, no unlock code. Dont pay your note, No title. As far as your 40 day problem? (And its actually 90) No where lets you buy phones out right, unlock them right away and walk away free without service. They'd lose money and wouldnt be a service but just a cell phone dealer. If you want to do that go buy a factory unlocked which costs even more then one locked to a carrier then you dont have to worry about whinning and crying you cant unlock your phone when you dont pay your bill, fulfill a contract, or fulfill the terms of service you signed when you purchased the device.

Anyways you think its cool to unlock and "run off" with a phone that isnt paid in full and money is owed on, and I dont. We can just leave it at that.
The Following User Says Thank You to ShinySide For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th August 2014, 05:13 AM   |  #9  
Flag Houston
Thanks Meter: 717

2,234 posts
More
OT but actually its 7 or 14 days service needed to get it unlocked once its paid in full, I don't remember exactly but its one of those. I called T-Mobile a few months ago and that's what they told me.. It might be a recent change

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread