Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,106 Members 40,424 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

What's the deal with lte radio?

Tip us?
 
sleekgreek
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Posts: 217
Join Date: Oct 2010
Default What's the deal with lte radio?

hey guys I'm on 4.2.2 still. Rooted it and deleted the galaxy walking app, so haven't been able to do legit update, and with working alot just haven't fooled with it. Anyway I'm off and have time, want to come up to kitkat, am I not able to update my LTE radio? I'm reading and searching before turning to asking, but all I'm seeing is if I update it my sound will act up. Am I stuck on an old radio now? Was hoping for improved signal, can I go stock, update and reroot and everything will be current?? Anyway any help is appreciated.
 
serio22
Old
#2  
serio22's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 696
Posts: 2,169
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Houston
If you don't care about tripping Knox counter, just flash the NB4 firmware with Odin and you'll be good.. I recommend fenny's fixed firmware

Edit: well it will only trip if you flash custom recovery or kernel, other than that there is root method without tripping if you plan to stay stock
The Following User Says Thank You to serio22 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
sleekgreek
Old
#3  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Posts: 217
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by serio22 View Post
If you don't care about tripping Knox counter, just flash the NB4 firmware with Odin and you'll be good.. I recommend fenny's fixed firmware

Edit: well it will only trip if you flash custom recovery or kernel, other than that there is root method without tripping if you plan to stay stock
im not staying stock, just want the updated lte radio on it. thinking of going lg g3 since sammy become such a pain in the ass. I've flashed stock and am updating official kitkat now, i guess that will update my modem and lte radio also, i'll reroot after that and throw something on there
 
serio22
Old
#4  
serio22's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 696
Posts: 2,169
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Houston
If you are updating officially there shouldn't be a reason to manually update anything
 
sleekgreek
Old
#5  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Posts: 217
Join Date: Oct 2010
i was just trying to save time, my home internet is crappy ( 100.00 bucks a month for 5mb, more like 1-3 mb) and you have to use wireless to update. I'm on kit now, abut to root and find a rom
 
lordcheeto03
Old
#6  
lordcheeto03's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 536
Posts: 1,530
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekgreek View Post
i was just trying to save time, my home internet is crappy ( 100.00 bucks a month for 5mb, more like 1-3 mb) and you have to use wireless to update. I'm on kit now, abut to root and find a rom
There is a thread in general specifically for updating radios for those of us still on MDL. If you were to have followed that guide you would have updated your radio without any sound problems, would still be KNOX free, and would still be able to have the option to run 4.2.2, 4.3, and 4.4.x ROMs flawlessly.
Don't be afraid of the "Thanks" button
The Following User Says Thank You to lordcheeto03 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
sleekgreek
Old
#7  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Posts: 217
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordcheeto03 View Post
There is a thread in general specifically for updating radios for those of us still on MDL. If you were to have followed that guide you would have updated your radio without any sound problems, would still be KNOX free, and would still be able to have the option to run 4.2.2, 4.3, and 4.4.x ROMs flawlessly.
i've been searching here for years on everything. Unless you stay in the loop everything is just cluttered. Even rooting, I'm looking and reading threads from pre 4.4.2 where chainfire link was last updated in 2013, it sucks searching here. And I thank you guys for the help. I'm rooted now and didnt want to ota, but everything I found to read said I could update the modem but not the LTE radio without sound issues... I must of missed something. LOL, I had a ton of tabs open from searches before posting. Been rooting since iden on nextels in early 2000's so it's just basic info I need thats hard to find here , tons of threads I guess. Anyway lets a get rom on this thing..
 
lordcheeto03
Old
#8  
lordcheeto03's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 536
Posts: 1,530
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekgreek View Post
Unless you stay in the loop everything is just cluttered. Even rooting
I totally agree and understand. I've pretty much been tinkering around the S4 forums since a few weeks after release (before I even purchased my S4) and have followed pretty well everything from square one so it's pretty easy to remember THAT I've read something but not remember WHERE I read it... Looking back through the Q&A and General threads, I couldn't imagine just now getting into the S4.
Don't be afraid of the "Thanks" button
 
Frankenscript
Old
#9  
Frankenscript's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 40
Posts: 192
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Indianapolis Metro
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordcheeto03 View Post
There is a thread in general specifically for updating radios for those of us still on MDL. If you were to have followed that guide you would have updated your radio without any sound problems, would still be KNOX free, and would still be able to have the option to run 4.2.2, 4.3, and 4.4.x ROMs flawlessly.
I would be interested in that thread... I have updated my GSM modem (modem.bin) to NB4 but as I understood it, the LTE part is tied to the bootloader. So, those of us with MDL have to retain the MDL LTE radio. If it is possible to update the LTE radio, without the sound/wifi problems, and retain MDL bootloader and thus no Knox, I'd love a link!

Current Phone:
T-Mo M919 / MDL bootloader / NB4 modem baseband /
Getting Dirty with: Dirty Unicorns


Previous phone:
ATT I337 / NC1 / SafeStrap 3.72 / GoldenEye v36

Other:
ASUS TF701T (rooted stock 4.3)
SAMSUNG Tab2 10.1 WiFi (stock 4.2.2)
SAMSUNG Tab2 10.1 WiFi (SlimKat... awesome!)
The Following User Says Thank You to Frankenscript For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
lordcheeto03
Old
#10  
lordcheeto03's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 536
Posts: 1,530
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenscript View Post
I would be interested in that thread... I have updated my GSM modem (modem.bin) to NB4 but as I understood it, the LTE part is tied to the bootloader. So, those of us with MDL have to retain the MDL LTE radio. If it is possible to update the LTE radio, without the sound/wifi problems, and retain MDL bootloader and thus no Knox, I'd love a link!

Ahh, you got me on that one. It didn't even register to me that the LTE modem is unaffected by that method. My apologies.
Don't be afraid of the "Thanks" button

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes