What's the deal with lte radio?

OP sleekgreek

28th August 2014, 08:36 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 11

217 posts
hey guys I'm on 4.2.2 still. Rooted it and deleted the galaxy walking app, so haven't been able to do legit update, and with working alot just haven't fooled with it. Anyway I'm off and have time, want to come up to kitkat, am I not able to update my LTE radio? I'm reading and searching before turning to asking, but all I'm seeing is if I update it my sound will act up. Am I stuck on an old radio now? Was hoping for improved signal, can I go stock, update and reroot and everything will be current?? Anyway any help is appreciated.
28th August 2014, 09:50 PM   |  #2  
Flag Houston
Thanks Meter: 777

2,355 posts
More
If you don't care about tripping Knox counter, just flash the NB4 firmware with Odin and you'll be good.. I recommend fenny's fixed firmware

Edit: well it will only trip if you flash custom recovery or kernel, other than that there is root method without tripping if you plan to stay stock
The Following User Says Thank You to serio22 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th August 2014, 10:19 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

217 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by serio22

If you don't care about tripping Knox counter, just flash the NB4 firmware with Odin and you'll be good.. I recommend fenny's fixed firmware

Edit: well it will only trip if you flash custom recovery or kernel, other than that there is root method without tripping if you plan to stay stock

im not staying stock, just want the updated lte radio on it. thinking of going lg g3 since sammy become such a pain in the ass. I've flashed stock and am updating official kitkat now, i guess that will update my modem and lte radio also, i'll reroot after that and throw something on there
28th August 2014, 10:37 PM   |  #4  
Flag Houston
Thanks Meter: 777

2,355 posts
More
If you are updating officially there shouldn't be a reason to manually update anything
29th August 2014, 01:51 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

217 posts
i was just trying to save time, my home internet is crappy ( 100.00 bucks a month for 5mb, more like 1-3 mb) and you have to use wireless to update. I'm on kit now, abut to root and find a rom
29th August 2014, 03:02 AM   |  #6  
Flag ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
Thanks Meter: 544

1,552 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekgreek

i was just trying to save time, my home internet is crappy ( 100.00 bucks a month for 5mb, more like 1-3 mb) and you have to use wireless to update. I'm on kit now, abut to root and find a rom

There is a thread in general specifically for updating radios for those of us still on MDL. If you were to have followed that guide you would have updated your radio without any sound problems, would still be KNOX free, and would still be able to have the option to run 4.2.2, 4.3, and 4.4.x ROMs flawlessly.
The Following User Says Thank You to lordcheeto03 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th August 2014, 03:27 AM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member

217 posts
Wink
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordcheeto03

There is a thread in general specifically for updating radios for those of us still on MDL. If you were to have followed that guide you would have updated your radio without any sound problems, would still be KNOX free, and would still be able to have the option to run 4.2.2, 4.3, and 4.4.x ROMs flawlessly.

i've been searching here for years on everything. Unless you stay in the loop everything is just cluttered. Even rooting, I'm looking and reading threads from pre 4.4.2 where chainfire link was last updated in 2013, it sucks searching here. And I thank you guys for the help. I'm rooted now and didnt want to ota, but everything I found to read said I could update the modem but not the LTE radio without sound issues... I must of missed something. LOL, I had a ton of tabs open from searches before posting. Been rooting since iden on nextels in early 2000's so it's just basic info I need thats hard to find here , tons of threads I guess. Anyway lets a get rom on this thing..
29th August 2014, 07:46 PM   |  #8  
Flag ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

1,552 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekgreek

Unless you stay in the loop everything is just cluttered. Even rooting

I totally agree and understand. I've pretty much been tinkering around the S4 forums since a few weeks after release (before I even purchased my S4) and have followed pretty well everything from square one so it's pretty easy to remember THAT I've read something but not remember WHERE I read it... Looking back through the Q&A and General threads, I couldn't imagine just now getting into the S4.
30th August 2014, 02:55 PM   |  #9  
Flag Indianapolis Metro
Thanks Meter: 49

218 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordcheeto03

I would be interested in that thread... I have updated my GSM modem (modem.bin) to NB4 but as I understood it, the LTE part is tied to the bootloader. So, those of us with MDL have to retain the MDL LTE radio. If it is possible to update the LTE radio, without the sound/wifi problems, and retain MDL bootloader and thus no Knox, I'd love a link!

The Following User Says Thank You to Frankenscript For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st August 2014, 04:12 AM   |  #10  
Flag ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

1,552 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenscript

I would be interested in that thread... I have updated my GSM modem (modem.bin) to NB4 but as I understood it, the LTE part is tied to the bootloader. So, those of us with MDL have to retain the MDL LTE radio. If it is possible to update the LTE radio, without the sound/wifi problems, and retain MDL bootloader and thus no Knox, I'd love a link!

Ahh, you got me on that one. It didn't even register to me that the LTE modem is unaffected by that method. My apologies.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread