[ROM][CM13][Marshmallow][Android 6.0.1] JBL Nightly Builds

Search This thread

gpz1100

Nov 28, 2009
Going to give this a try in a few days. Currently have the GPE rom on my mdk device. It works good, but 6 has some nice power saving features.

Reactions: Jalh

faciar

Feb 7, 2012
I have been on this rom for a few days, so I may as well share my experience.

I'm using the build from 1-14 with OpenGapps nano from the same day. I installed using TWRP 2.7.0.5.EXT4. I'm using the MDK non-hlos with the OF1 modem. The rom I was on previously was Pheonix.V11.

Installation and initial setup was as easy as expected. Restoring backups from tibu was painless. 4g/3g, wifi, and gps (except the compass) have been working as expected.

I use hangouts for sms and mms messages seem to work, slowly.

Some apps (root explorer and waze to name a couple) seem to crash due to permissions issues, but the apps I use on a daily basis seem to all be fine, fortunately.

The speed and battery usage of the rom has been excellent. Both seem noticeably improved from my previous rom, but I don't have any numerical data to back this up. Also, I have not had any lockups or any issues requiring a reboot.

Besides the permissions issues affecting some apps, the biggest reason to stay away from Marshmallow roms would be the known issue with SuperSU (See the CM12.1 thread in original dev). If you need SuperSU for xposed or anything else, then this rom probably won't fit the bill. The built in super user worked for me in tibu and the power menu app I use which is all I needed.

I would say, that anyone curious about Marshmallow should at least consider making a nandroid backup of their working setup and giving it a shot. I know that my requirements are extremely simple compared to most, so take this with a grain of salt, but I will be using this rom as my daily from now on. :good:

Last edited:

faciar

Feb 7, 2012
I clean flashed the build from the 22nd. The compass does seem to work, but I haven't had a chance to really try it out as I'm snowed in.

Cilraaz

Sep 17, 2010
I was away for a while and then had a few days where the build refused to compile because they added a dependency without notification. There's a new build up as of today.

Neffy27

Nov 27, 2013
I flashed the ROM with no issue, I only have one word... SMOOTH. I then went back into recovery and flashed the latest nano ARM 6.0 gapps only to be met with mass setup has stopped msges. I navigated down through the menu in between the split seconds of dismissing the popups, to factory reset. It is now stuck in TWRP Recovery Bootloop. It does not go pass the TWRP logo, goes black, then repeats. adb reboot doesn't stop it from going into recovery and taking the battery out doesn't either, any ideas?

Neffy27

Nov 27, 2013
I pulled the battery out and held volume down + power to force it to download mode. From they, I just cancelled and let it reboot normally. Booted to lock screen, if I unlocked, I'm met with the mass pop ups of setup wizard and Google has stopped. Ended up odining the stock kernel, that allowed TWRP to boot and restored my back up. I really want to flash this again because of how smooth it ran before attempting to install gapps.

Is there a known good version of gapps to use or was I just unlucky?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2.4.15

Cilraaz

Sep 17, 2010
Personally (on my Nexus 6), I use Slim Gapps.

Edit: I'm looking into building a custom Slim Gapps package and hosting it along with the CM13 builds so that everything is in one place. Keep an eye on the site. Hopefully it'll be up there soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoodLooks550

Cilraaz

Sep 17, 2010
The first run of Gapps packages based on Slim are up on the site. I haven't had a chance to test the builds, but there were zero problems generating them, so they should be fine.

Reactions: Neffy27

asharad

Jun 18, 2011
Personally (on my Nexus 6), I use Slim Gapps.

Edit: I'm looking into building a custom Slim Gapps package and hosting it along with the CM13 builds so that everything is in one place. Keep an eye on the site. Hopefully it'll be up there soon.

I installed the 5.04 version of this rom. It worked well until I installed Slim Gapps. Now I have mass error messages from gapps.

Edit... I was trying the official slim gapps. I'll try the version you are hosting.

2nd Edit... After 2 wipes and 2 installs with your custom gapps it works.

Last edited:

GoodLooks550

Sep 27, 2011
I have installed the last 3 builds and the provided gapps. Fresh install every time. No matter how many attempts of installation, I always get the error messages from gapps, even on the attempts where I didn't flash gapps. Anybody have any solutions to get around this? I have tried dirty flashing as well. No luck

Last edited:

asharad

Jun 18, 2011
I've been running this ROM for a month using the May 4th build. The phone has been silky smooth in everything except bluetooth. I can pair the phone with my car radio, and it will play music just fine. But I can't make phone calls over bluetooth. The radio will stop playing music to place the call, but the call audio does not work over bluetooth. After my call is complete, the phone reboots. Any thoughts?

I've tested my radio with a different phone and it works fine, so I'm pretty sure the problem is with this ROM.

gomangoman

Jul 8, 2012
I've been running this ROM for a month using the May 4th build. The phone has been silky smooth in everything except bluetooth. I can pair the phone with my car radio, and it will play music just fine. But I can't make phone calls over bluetooth. The radio will stop playing music to place the call, but the call audio does not work over bluetooth. After my call is complete, the phone reboots. Any thoughts?

I've tested my radio with a different phone and it works fine, so I'm pretty sure the problem is with this ROM.
Bluetooth seems to be fixed in this international S4 ROM, which also works on Verizon S4 with MDK bootloader. I've been using it on my Verizon S4 for a couple months and happy with it. http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s4/i950...m-optimized-cyanogenmod-13-0-t3334475/page413

Reactions: asharad

asharad

Jun 18, 2011
I may give that a shot. I've tried several CM13 nightlies in the past 24 hours, and ended up reverting to CM12 to get working BT.

---------- Post added at 03:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:34 PM ----------

Actually, I think the fix is in this post. Here are the critical details:
GApps & Google Search Clarification: The test team has determined most GApps packages trigger the dreaded "Unfortunately, Bluetooth Share has stopped" error message (BSE). The problem seems to stem from the bundled Google Search app. If you use OpenGapps (pico) and simply download the Google Search app from the Play Store, you should be error-free and you can use all of Google's features (ie. OK Google, Google Search, Google Now, etc.).

Bottom line: You will have many less problems if you use OpenGapps (pico). It was just discovered that there seems to be a problem with the 6/18 version which may not allow you to download apps from the Play Store resulting in Error DF-DLA-15. To avoid the possibility of getting this error, use an older version of pico gapps like 6/17 which works flawlessly.

asharad

Jun 18, 2011
I just installed the ROM you suggested, along with TWRP/F2FS and picoGAPPS. Here goes nothing!

---------- Post added at 06:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:23 PM ----------

Update, my car radio will play bluetooth audio, but will not do phone. Other phones work with the radio, so.... back to CM12. The reason I want CM13 is to be able to use my MicroSD as internal storage. My phone only has 16GB of internal storage, which is quickly consumed by music and audio books.

asharad

Jun 18, 2011
Here's an update in case someone else experiences the same problems. I've installed JDCTEAM AOSP for the I9505. This solved my BT troubles. I'll be testing that ROM for a few days before it becomes my daily driver, but I think my problems are cured.

EDIT... I was wrong. No cure here. It seems like any MM ROM gives me BT trouble. :(

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Since Euroskank has discontinued his nightly CM12.1 builds for the Verizon S4, I've decided to pick up where he left off. These nightly builds will be very similar to what you'd seen from him, as they're essentially CM12.1 nightlies with some interesting cherry picks along the way.

Edit 1/8/16: I am no longer building CM12.1 for jfltevzw. I am now building CM13 instead. I no longer have an S4, however, so I can't even say if the builds are functioning properly. If you'd like to try them and let me know, that would be great. I know I stopped building for a while in late November and December. If you're a user of these builds, I apologize for that, but my work and personal life stopped me from paying attention to building CM.

Download Link: http://cm.justbloodlust.com/?type=cm130&device=jfltevzw
    Latest CM13 Changes Merged: http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/q/status:merged+branch:cm-13.0

Note that the cherry picks included in my builds are listed on the right-hand side of the page.
    In addition to cherry picks from CM's gerrit, I have also included two custom changes:

• Hosts file based ad blocking, compiled from several reputable sources online
      • Specifically: adaway.org, hosts-file.net, and pgl.yoyo.org
    • The boot animation from the Euroskank builds

Disclaimers:

• First and foremost, I am not responsible if any of these nightlies breaks your phone. They are up-to-the-minute (as of compile time) builds with some cherry picks that haven't been completely tested. Things can and will go wrong. You've been warned. Make a backup and know how to recover your phone from situations like boot loops before trying to flash this ROM.
    • These builds are for the Verizon Galaxy S4 variant (jfltevzw) ONLY. If you flash this build on any other device, it is not guaranteed to work and likely to cause you to have a bad day.
    • This ROM is CyanogenMod based. It WILL NOT operate on a phone with a bootloader version after MDK. It WILL NOT work with SafeStrap. Do not try.
    • These builds do not include gapps. CyanogenMod is designed to work independent of the Google applications. If you'd like them, please feel free to download a package from another source.
    • Please let me know if you have any problems with the website operation or bandwidth (slow downloads, timeouts, etc). My server should be adequate, but I'm unsure how many people may try to download.
    • While these builds are nightlies, they are not guaranteed to be built on a nightly basis. I am building them manually, so if I am too busy, then a day or two might be missed here or there. I will typically leave the most current build and one or two previous builds on the server. I won't be keeping a long-term history of builds.
    • I may discontinue these builds at any time. I have upgraded to a Nexus 6 (shamu) and am continuing to build for the S4 at user request. NOTE that I do not have the device any longer, and as such am unable to test any of the builds that I am producing. I produce nearly identical builds for shamu, but different hardware/firmware handles changes differently. I do pay attention to the thread, however, so if cherry picks are made that negatively impact the build, please let me know so I can remove them.
    • Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. If there are bug reports, I ask that you include as much information as possible and a logcat when able. I reserve the right to ignore any suggestions or bug reports if I feel that they do not warrant attention. I cannot troubleshoot issues if you are using a kernel other than the CM default kernel included in this ROM. Please do not post bug reports if you're using a custom kernel.
    Credits/Thanks:

• I take no credit for the code that goes into these builds. This is a kang of CyanogenMod. All credit goes to the CyanogenMod team and the wonderful people who contribute code updates to their gerrit.
    • An extra thanks goes out to Euroskank. I've been using your builds for several years, dating back to my old Galaxy Nexus (toro). They've always been top quality. Thank you for building for the S4 as long as you did.
    Since the test build hasn't been downloaded much recently and the amount of time it takes to add another compile, I'm discontinuing the test build. I will continue building for jfltevzw and will be adding trltespr, which is the Sprint Samsung Note 4.
    Has anyone tried this yet with a smartwatch like the Moto 360 to test out the Bluetooth LE to see if it's fixed yet?
    Edit: I just tried the 5/19 build and it works with my Moto360! Fantastic!
    Thanks Cilraaz!
    Edit2: Looks like Bluetooth still crashes, about once or twice per day.

There is a new change in the gerrit today that I'm merging in. Hopefully it fixes things. It's commit 98804: Revert "bluedroid: Support dynamic A2DP stream parameters". This is reverting a change (88747) that was first merged into CM12 on Feb 17, which is (I believe) around the time when the Bluetooth issues started. I don't know if this will fix the smartwatch BLE issues, but I'm hoping it will at least fix the car audio issues that lots of us are having.

I'm in the process of building the nightly now, so it should be up in an hour or two.
    Cilraaz, 1st, Thank you for the builds. We really appreciate you efforts!
    As to the Bluetooth Sharing crashes, I installed the 6/7 build this morning and it came up fine and connected to my Moto360 just fine. I then transferred several watchfaces between my S4 and my Moto360 without issue. The crash seems to come after running for over an hour. In this case, when a notification was attempted to be sent from the S4 to the watch.
    Don't know if that info helps, but If there is any other info or debugging I can assist with, I'd be glad to.
    Thanks again for the builds.
    I really appreciate it.
    -Kev

I think late May was when we had the best builds. The CM team merged the initial Bluetooth buffer changes right at the end of May, which is when I'd started having issues. I'm not really sure how to handle it, since it's already merged. Hopefully a couple of new Bluetooth changes come in soon that fix the problems caused by the last "fixes".

Did the 6/7 build seem any better than the few days before? I removed one Bluetooth change and was wondering if it made any difference.

Just out of curiosity, since I haven't messed with any custom kernels in quite a while, and certainly not since any Lollipop ROMs came to the Verizon S4: is anyone using a custom kernel to any great effect? And regardless, what ones would work for this ROM and are being updated?

I've used Ktoonsez kernel in the past. Somewhere in that thread there's a 5.1 version hiding. I think it was technically a "test" version, so he never edited it into the OP. I don't know of any big gains that I'd seen, and shortly after I just went back to the standard CM kernel. The Ktoonsez kernel also had an issue with color grading that required you to put all colors to 50%, which essentially cut your brightness in half. The default CM kernel has pretty much all of the settings that I regularly use (noop scheduler, ondemand governor, etc), so I don't see a whole lot of gain from a custom kernel.
    I'm on 6-6 build and still having BT issues.

Other than that, all is good.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Two of the three Bluetooth cherry picks that I had been including were merged into the CM 12.1 branch. I'm removing the third pick for the 6/7 build. If it's still not working on the 6/7 build (available in about 2 hours), then it's a regression in the code that was merged sometime between late May and now.