SAFE Updating - Upgrading - Downgrading - Custom ROM Flashing to 5.01 Lollipop OC1

Search This thread

dwelder

Oct 22, 2011
So I upgraded to lollipop uaing the steps from the OP and installed super 6 v1.89 ROM. I am having a few issues. Everything went as explained in the OP but once I got the ROM running, I lost a few capabilities. First my incoming and outgoing SMS/MMS doesn't work. I tried clearing the cache and no luck.

I also do not have root capabilities anymore. When I try to install safestrap, the screen stays black after installing and attempting to open safestrap.

Busybox also will not install properly. In the app it says I do not have root permissions.

I tried to roll back to NC5 from the OP but after pushing ODIN and attempting the safestrap step, I can't complete because my phone doesn't go into safe strap.

Can any help me resolves these issues?

Edit #1: So I rolled back to an Odin Factory 4.4.2 and reinstalled using the OP steps but with S4 Echoe V49 ROM. I tried to flash I545 OC1 Stock DeOdexed but it failed to even boot. Symptoms improved but I still don't have the ability to send text messages. I can now receive texts, maintained root and safe strap loop is present as in the OP mentioning.

I am still unable to send SMS, can any one help?

Last edited:

gigilie

Feb 6, 2011
MN
So I upgraded to lollipop uaing the steps from the OP and installed super 6 v1.89 ROM. I am having a few issues. Everything went as explained in the OP but once I got the ROM running, I lost a few capabilities. First my incoming and outgoing SMS/MMS doesn't work. I tried clearing the cache and no luck.

I also do not have root capabilities anymore. When I try to install safestrap, the screen stays black after installing and attempting to open safestrap.

Busybox also will not install properly. In the app it says I do not have root permissions.

I tried to roll back to NC5 from the OP but after pushing ODIN and attempting the safestrap step, I can't complete because my phone doesn't go into safe strap.

Can any help me resolves these issues?

Edit #1: So I rolled back to an Odin Factory 4.4.2 and reinstalled using the OP steps but with S4 Echoe V49 ROM. I tried to flash I545 OC1 Stock DeOdexed but it failed to even boot. Symptoms improved but I still don't have the ability to send text messages. I can now receive texts, maintained root and safe strap loop is present as in the OP mentioning.

I am still unable to send SMS, can any one help?

what are u using for service? did you read the part of the thread that talks about entering supersu and changing it to grant? the ROM has root but supersu 2.46 doesnt work properly not the ROMs fault. alt u can flash 2.49beta zip after installing the ROM for popup root requests

UsedTheForce

Jun 30, 2015
Help

I am extremely new to all of this. So I have some probably stupid questions. I have followed your instructions and I am in safestrap, but where do I find the 5.01 TW ROM?
I feel really stupid, I didn't understand the part when you said to use A Custom ROM or a Prerooted Stock ROM (I'm uploading a Deodex'd debloated stock ROM shortly otherwise you can use muniz's stock release too)? Was that the part where I should of gotten the 5.01 TW ROM?
Thank you for your help. FYI I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 SCH-i545
Tony

dsteinschneider

@UsedTheForce - I used Muniz_ri I545_OC1_Stock_Rooted_ROM_wNK4_BL
http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s4-verizon/general/how-to-update-to-i545oc1-5-0-1-keeproot-t3096558
I did the following steps in this order (after using Gigilie's Custom_ROM_Downgrade_Lollipop_VZW_wNK4_Boot-only-gogolie.tar in Odin):
1. When the safestrap "splashscreen" comes up choose Recovery
1. Wipe in SafeStrap (the default one - it wipes your data, cache and dalvik)
2. Install (Flash) I545_OC1_Stock_Rooted_ROM_wNK4_BL.zip (OC1 lollipop with NK4 Bootloader)
3. Flash I545_OC1_Stock_KERNEL_SafeStrap-Flashable.zip (not sure I needed to do this but worked)

Now I'm back to OC1 with root after losing root trying the Klabit non Odin method

My goal is to get Stang5liter OC1 loaded. When I used gigilie's method to flash it I just got a blank screen

dsteinschneider

Update: Carefully followed stang5litre OP instructions for SS after getting back to OC1 Stock with NK4 bootloader rooted (using Gigilie method) and it worked - Until I read this entire thread I didn't really understand the whole SS vs MDK issue (personally a Galaxy Note II user who is doing this for family member on S4 who took OTA).

CyrusKhane

Apr 18, 2013
I'm guessing this doesn't work if you took the OTA? I can't flash the Downgrade, Odin just continuously fails. If I'm doing something wrong here I'd appreciate a heads up but at this point I'm convinced I'll never be able to root this thing again. Serves me right for blindly taking an OTA lol.

gigilie

Feb 6, 2011
MN
Yes that's correct. Sorry guys as soon as theirs root for those that took the ota I'll add a section for settING up root and installing custom roms post ota. I'm sure the general forums will be alive and chattering

UsedTheForce

Jun 30, 2015
@UsedTheForce - I used Muniz_ri I545_OC1_Stock_Rooted_ROM_wNK4_BL
http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s4-verizon/general/how-to-update-to-i545oc1-5-0-1-keeproot-t3096558
I did the following steps in this order (after using Gigilie's Custom_ROM_Downgrade_Lollipop_VZW_wNK4_Boot-only-gogolie.tar in Odin):
1. When the safestrap "splashscreen" comes up choose Recovery
1. Wipe in SafeStrap (the default one - it wipes your data, cache and dalvik)
2. Install (Flash) I545_OC1_Stock_Rooted_ROM_wNK4_BL.zip (OC1 lollipop with NK4 Bootloader)
3. Flash I545_OC1_Stock_KERNEL_SafeStrap-Flashable.zip (not sure I needed to do this but worked)

Now I'm back to OC1 with root after losing root trying the Klabit non Odin method

My goal is to get Stang5liter OC1 loaded. When I used gigilie's method to flash it I just got a blank screen

Thank you for your response. I ended up getting out of safestrap, but then my phone was locked on the samsung with the opened padlock screen. I couldn't figure out how to get out of there. So I contacted Samsung, they told me to goto any BestBuy and they would fix it for me. So that is what I did, the BestBuy guy installed Lolipop on it for me and now it is working fine, but of course I cannot root it. So when anyone figures out how, please let me know.
THank you,
UsedTheForce

fiody

Dec 12, 2012
New York City
From 5.0: Modify ROM / Install different ROM / Downgrading back to 4.4.2
1. Connect phone to PC. Open Odin on PC and in Safestrap's App press Reboot to Recovery only hold down Vol Down. This will bring phone into Download Mode 1st.
2. Load Custom_ROM_Downgrade_Lollipop_VZW_wNK4_Boot-only-gogolie.tar into Odin AP slot on PC and Press Flash.
3. Phone will restart to Safestrap if it doesn't it will display boot option for Safestrap which you should enter the recovery.
4. Now in Safestrap you're able to modify the currently installed 5.01 ROM or install a new ROM for either 5.0 or 4.4.2.
5. After install / modification you'll need to reupgrade if intending on running a 5.0 ROM or finish downgrading if youre reverting to a 4.4.2 ROM. Which means restart phone to Download Mode!
6. Back on your PC load Custom_ROM_Re-Upgrade_Lollipop_VZW_wNK4_Boot-only-gogolie.tar into AP Slot to reupgrade to 5.0 or load Custom_ROM_Re-Upgrade_Lollipop_VZW_wNK4_no-BL-gogolie.tar if you think you possibly need to rewrite the recovery-kernel-modem-etc to 5.0 otherwise VZW-I545VRUFNC2_FULL4.42-ODIN_UPGRADE-NO-PARTITIONS_989434_REV06_user_low_noship_MULTI_CERT.tar.tar.md5 or I545VRUFNK1_ALL_UPGRADES_W_NO_SYSTEM-CACHE-USER-PARTITIONS.taror similar modified Odin package can be flashed in Odin to finish Downgrading to any 4.4.2 Firmware.
7. There is no step 7, you were done at 6!

Do I need to be rooted and have safestrap installed to do the downgrade? I am coming from stock lollipop and I am trying to revert back to the latest working 4.4.2. No need for root or custom recovery.

HooplalpooH

Sep 6, 2015
Hello, I have a i545 on oc1 and am trying to get it to work properly with my ting.com service, which uses t mobile towers. I'm currently unable to make outgoing calls or texts. I'm hoping to find a fix for it. Any advice as to weather this Rom might help?

S Hussain

Nov 3, 2015
I want downgrade my galaxy s4 ( SCH-I545 )

I want downgrade my galaxy s4 ( SCH-I545 ) varizon lollipop 5.0.1 to kitkat 4.4.2. How can I downgrade? Please help me..

techguy2002

May 22, 2014
If you are on the oc1 or of1 bootloader it's not possible to downgrade. If you used one of the root methods to upgrade to either oc1 or of1 you can.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Free mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    SAFE UP/DOWN GRADING THE EZ WAY

this is a continuation of my SAFE UP/DOWN GRADING TO 4.4.2 thread where I developed a few safe ways to upgrade/update/downgrade to various versions of 4.4. This thread will be aimed at Lollipop. I apologize for the wait I had this ready on the 29th but muniz beat me to the punch while I was still uploading by releasing his odex'd stock OC1 which apparently had broken wifi but is now fixed.
    however our methods are different and my method will allow you to very quickly upgrade to a Custom ROM 5.0 or fully downgrade back to 4.4.2 NK1-NC2.

Please Note for now I recommend not using Flashfire but if all else fails when attempting this method keep in mind you can use it as an alternative until you can get Safestrap installed again. Flashfire will let you use only your Android to upgrade nothing more is required which can be nice/necessary for those without PC available or a broken USB port.

Pre-Installation Requirements:
    You'll need a PC with Windows, OSX or Linux unless opting to upgrade using Flashfire in which case just a phone and the app is required.
    Download my UP/DOWN Grading Packa .rar which you unpack includes 4 tars for flashing in Odin
    Download Odin 3.10.6 for Windows or dl JOdin if your using OSX or Linux
    A Custom ROM or a Prerooted Stock ROM (I'm uploading a Deodex'd debloated stock ROM shortly otherwise you can use muniz's stock release too)
    Newest Safestrap 3.75 A03, Towelroot v3+, SuperSU and Busybox apk files are handy to have available on SD CARD I've uploaded a zip containing these here.
    If downgrading you'll need a custom ROM (like Echoe v49 VZW for 5.0) for that firmware or an Odin Stock image.

We'll basically be using the same workaround for safestrap that I had used pre 4.4.2 safestrap only in 5.0 and this time were going down to 4.4.2 instead of 4.3. That is in condensed form: were downgrading to 4.4.2 boot.img in order to use Safestrap then modifying ROM or installing a new ROM on Stock Slot then reupgrading boot.img to 5.0!

Steps to Upgrade from 4.4.2 Rooted with Safestrap:
    1. Connect phone to PC. Open Odin on PC and boot phone into Safestrap.
    2. Load CustomROM_Upgrade_Lollipop_VZW_wNK4-NoSys-gogolie.tar into Odin AP slot on PC. On your Phone in Safestrap install 5.01 TW ROM.
    3. Restart Phone to Download Mode when installation of ROM is finished.
    4. Now On PC press flash and flash the tar to phone.
    5. Your Done. Odin will restart the phone and you'll have to skip through 3-4 Boot Screens for Safestrap before ROM will load. To avoid having to skip these screens after 1st boot install Safestrap and Busybox on phone. Open SS and Uninstall Recovery. Then the phone will boot into ROM without hesitation. However I wouldn't recommend this personally as you'll need SS installed and ready in order to modify the ROM in Safestrap.

From 5.0: Modify ROM / Install different ROM / Downgrading back to 4.4.2
    1. Connect phone to PC. Open Odin on PC and in Safestrap's App press Reboot to Recovery only hold down Vol Down. This will bring phone into Download Mode 1st.
    2. Load Custom_ROM_Downgrade_Lollipop_VZW_wNK4_Boot-only-gogolie.tar into Odin AP slot on PC and Press Flash.
    3. Phone will restart to Safestrap if it doesn't it will display boot option for Safestrap which you should enter the recovery.
    4. Now in Safestrap you're able to modify the currently installed 5.01 ROM or install a new ROM for either 5.0 or 4.4.2.
    5. After install / modification you'll need to reupgrade if intending on running a 5.0 ROM or finish downgrading if youre reverting to a 4.4.2 ROM. Which means restart phone to Download Mode!
    6. Back on your PC load Custom_ROM_Re-Upgrade_Lollipop_VZW_wNK4_Boot-only-gogolie.tar into AP Slot to reupgrade to 5.0 or load Custom_ROM_Re-Upgrade_Lollipop_VZW_wNK4_no-BL-gogolie.tar if you think you possibly need to rewrite the recovery-kernel-modem-etc to 5.0 otherwise VZW-I545VRUFNC2_FULL4.42-ODIN_UPGRADE-NO-PARTITIONS_989434_REV06_user_low_noship_MULTI_CERT.tar.tar.md5 or I545VRUFNK1_ALL_UPGRADES_W_NO_SYSTEM-CACHE-USER-PARTITIONS.taror similar modified Odin package can be flashed in Odin to finish Downgrading to any 4.4.2 Firmware.
    7. There is no step 7, you were done at 6!

Good day!
    - gogolie
    v1-4-29-15

Please thank the OP if you're inclined.
    Ask questions in thread those not answered can be assumed have been before and your just too lazy to search before asking which mean's I'll be to lazy to answer / search for you!

special thanks: dgutierrez04 for capture OTAs
    files

use safestrap to flash your rom ... DO NOT LET IT BOOT ... when it restarts hold the volume down button until your in download mode ... go into Odin under the AP file and choose "" CustomROM_Upgrade_Lollipop_VZW_wNK4-NoSys-gogolie.tar "" its in the original OP ... once that finishes it will reboot ... let the phone sit and "settle" it takes time ... once its done ... your all set ... now IF you wanna flash other files use flashfire ... OR ... put phone back into download mode and use Odin and flash """ Custom_ROM_Downgrade_NC5Lollipop_VZW_wNK4_Boot-only-gogolie.tar """ once the phone starts to boot up you can now enter safestrap to flash files ... HOWEVER ... before you reboot phone again you need the "" CustomROM_Upgrade_Lollipop_VZW_wNK4-NoSys-gogolie.tar "" file again in Odin for the phone to boot and work

Hi happy, no I didn't get any replies yet. Would appreciate you sharing what files you used (or would use) for the downgrade. Thanks.

---------- Post added at 12:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 PM ----------

good morning my friend .. expect a donation again today .. would a format be better or just wiping dalvik cache and system is enough??

Super6 has been updated to my Release Candidate v1. This is flashable in any of the following: Flashfire, Safestrap, TWRP or Multisystem. Be sure and Wipe Fully before installing this or GOLD. 1st boot may take over 20mins its recommended to have 50% battery or more before attempting an upgrade like this. These 2 ROMS kick a$s.
    2nd

as always,
    enjoy
    Thanks gigilie, your method worked for me. I installed OC1 to my stock rom slot in Safestrap, and to be clear... Safestrap does not function after updating the rom. I expected that. Maybe soon we will have Safestrap back, or something like it.

However, I'm noticing after install that I have only 2 GB free out of 16 GB device memory. So I suspect that my former Slot 1 rom is still present and eating up lots of space. Any suggestions on how to reclaim the rom slot storage?

your former Slotted ROM is probably still intact and accessible. if you flash my downgrade pack in odin and restart you'll be able to access Safestrap. There you can either try and boot into the slot rom, delete the ROM or Modify any ROM you have installed on the Stock slot. Yes even 5.0 ROMs :)
    First, go to play store and download: Phone Info *Samsung*. Look for bootloader version. This will help determine what method u need to start with to successfully and safely update. LAST THREE CHARACTERS NEED TO BE NC5 IN ORDER TO PROCEED WITH THE FOLLOWING! DO NOT FLASH ANYTHING THAT SAYS MDK IN IT UNLESS THE LAST THREE CHARACTERS SAY...MDK! (Which I doubt.)

If you're not rooted yet, u will need to b, so download Towelroot v3, install, and tap "Make it Rain". This only works on NC5 and a couple older bootloader versions. DO NOT TRY THIS STEP IF U ARE ON NG6 OR NK1 - IT WON'T WORK. If u are rooted, skip this step.

Once root is obtained, go to play store and download busybox free, open, grant root, and tap install. Exit app.

Follow the instructions to obtain FlashFire from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3096558 .

Download the stock-DEODEX-OC1-w/nk4BL.zip, and follow instructions on above post. AND FOLLOW THEM EXACTLY! Don't forget to set your screen timeout to 10 minutes, cuz if u don't, you'll have a world of trouble and a useless phone.

As for Xposed Framework. It is in essence a hack, for lack of better term. It allows us to essentially "hook" into system level files with special apks targeted at modifying said files to achieve a variety of different functionality and cosmetic changes. Basically, it lets us modify and customize otherwise uncustomizable features of our ROMS. Make sense?

You might want to spend a great deal of time researching the things you are asking about. XDA has a wealth of guides, tutorials, and how-to's on rooting, ROMing, and modding. The threads are packed with q&a forums that you definitely need to read if u plan on doing this. And remember, rendering your device unusable is an ever present risk.