Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,547 Members 45,715 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Add Auto Wake Function To any Flip Case

Tip us?

spirodave
Old
(Last edited by spirodave; 5th July 2014 at 02:01 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 47
Default Add Auto Wake Function To any Flip Case

Recently i ordered 2 wallet cell phone cases from Amazon one of them had an auto wake function when you flipped the case open .. But i decided to keep the one that didnt have this function because it was made better .. Long story short i figured out something many people may or may not know . That the auto wake function is controlled by a very low power magnet ..In the picture im adding will show approximitly where to place the magnet in your case .. I took a magnetic business card and cut a piece of magnet about the size of a dime and it worked perfect and exactly how it should .Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-07-04 20.06.15.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	248.5 KB
ID:	2833296

In the picture i put a white piece of paper that is positioned where the maget should be .. I just took a piece of electric tape and taped the dime size piece of magnet underneath where the the credit card slots are .. (Obviously dont tape it on top of the credit card slots). The screen is very sensitive to it and recognizes it very easily ..I would use the least powerful magnet you can get away with so it doesnt cause any damage to your credit cards or draw object towards your phone that might damage it.

You can test where the magnet needs to touch when the case folds before taping it .. Its about a half inch into the screen from the volume down button..

If this helps only one person then i will be satisfied ..

socal87
Old
Thanks Meter 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by spirodave View Post
Recently i ordered 2 wallet cell phone cases from Amazon one of them had an auto wake function when you flipped the case open .. But i decided to keep the one that didnt have this function because it was made better .. Long story short i figured out something many people may or may not know . That the auto wake function is controlled by a very low power magnet ..In the picture im adding will show approximitly where to place the magnet in your case .. I took a magnetic business card and cut a piece of magnet about the size of a dime and it worked perfect and exactly how it should .Attachment 2833296

In the picture i put a white piece of paper that is positioned where the maget should be .. I just took a piece of electric tape and taped the dime size piece of magnet underneath where the the credit card slots are .. (Obviously dont tape it on top of the credit card slots). The screen is very sensitive to it and recognizes it very easily .. DO NOT USE ANYTHING MORE POWERFUL THAN A REFRIDGERATOR MAGNET .IT COULD HARM YOUR PHONE. I have been using this for a week before i posted this just to make sure there was no problems .

You can test where the magnet needs to touch when the case folds before taping it .. Its about a half inch into the screen from the volume down button..
Try to find the weakest magnet you can get away with ..
Seeing as our phones are solid state, I fail to see how a strong magnetic field might cause harm, other than possibly permanently "calibrating" the compass and causing issues with the radio(s). Please explain?
2012 VW GTI

spirodave
Old
(Last edited by spirodave; 5th July 2014 at 01:55 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal87 View Post
Seeing as our phones are solid state, I fail to see how a strong magnetic field might cause harm, other than possibly permanently "calibrating" the compass and causing issues with the radio(s). Please explain?
I was just saying that so people use with caution and don't have metal objects being pulled towards their phones that could damage or crack the screen. Also the fact that credit cards are in the case too and powerful magnets can render them useless. I guess I'll revise this but something tells me you already knew how to do this .

aznjosh
Old
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal87 View Post
I would say that just the issues you've listed are reason enough to not use a powerful magnet.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app