Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,812 Members 48,981 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

An alternative to ROM Slots for SafeStrap

Tip us?

npjohnson
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 62
Default An alternative to ROM Slots for SafeStrap

Hey Guys,

As an alternative to ROM slots, what you can do is,

1. Boot into 1st ROM, configure and download all the apps you want.
2. Take a Nandroid of; /System and /data and optionally; cache. But I don't use the latter.
3. Wipe Data, System, Cache, and dalvik.
4. Install 2nd ROM, boot, configure, install all the same apps (just for now)
5. Take Nandroid of /system only

To switch to ROM 1, restore the backup of its /system (should only take about 6-10 seconds as opposed to flashing data too.
To switch to ROM 2, restore the backup of its /system ""

The reason you MUST install all the SAME apps on the 2nd ROM is to rebuild the necessary data folders.
In
To install a new app, boot to rom 1 and install it, then switch to ROM 2 and wipe cache and boot or vice versa.

Have fun,
The Following User Says Thank You to npjohnson For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

NighthawkXL
Old
Thanks Meter 236

DONATE TO ME
While this may work, be aware there are problems that could arise by doing this. They likely wouldn't effect much but some ROM's are picky. That aside your still partitioning your device and will lose X amount of space even with this method.
My Devices
Samsung Galaxy S4 (SGH-I337)
  • ROM - Purified [4.4.2]
  • Baseband - NC1
  • Root - Yes
  • Recovery - SafeStrap 3.72
----------------------------------------------------------
Enjoying my help? Feel free to help feed this broke college student.

npjohnson
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by NighthawkXL View Post
While this may work, be aware there are problems that could arise by doing this. They likely wouldn't effect much but some ROM's are picky. That aside your still partitioning your device and will lose X amount of space even with this method.
I agree, especially with Xposed, some problems could definitely arise. But I switch between Hyperdrive and GPE via this method about 2-3 times a week. Over time, constant flashing takes its toll on the Drive, but I don't mind it much.

Actually... you aren't partitioning though... you can just take the backups to your SD Card and it wont take up any internal storage other than what the ROM is taking