Google Allows Search Queries To Interact With Apps

Android 5.0 Lollipop brings lots of new features that are quite useful for end users and … more

Lenovo Officially Owns Motorola, Following ~$3 Billion Deal

Google is now officially no longer the owner of American phone manufacturer … more

Microsoft Band Fitness Tracker Announced, Available

The wearable market has been around for a few years, with Pebble and Samsung smartwatches … more

Forums Added for the Oppo R5, Oppo N3, and Xiaomi Redmi Note

Just yesterday, Oppo unveiled a pair of rather unique smartphones, the Oppo … more

Crazy as idea...use our old devices for shared computation

OP sokrboot

19th August 2014, 12:12 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 145

187 posts
More
Guys and Gals, we have been struggling with unlocking the S4 Bootloader for well over a year. I stay current with where our progress is. I'm not a developer and i know this is a crazy suggestion but what have we got to lose?

Why don't we pool our old devices and use OpenCL (or similar) to tap into our phone GPUs and try a targeted attack on our bootloader? Yes, I know, I know it will take a billion years for a million supercomputers to brute force the SHA1 key. But headway has been made in the last year in finding ways to target attacks on SHA1. I'm not saying it will be easy...it won't. Hell, I don't even know how to get started but that's why I bring the request to you guys. I have 2 or 3 old devices....we all do. Plus if we continue this then every year each of us is adding a device to the computational network.

I know there will be many "nay-sayers" so don't post with negativity. If you are interested and want to contribute then post and let me know.
@Surge1223 @joshuabg @ryanbg @NighthawkXL @RuggedHunter @SamuriHL
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sokrboot For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th August 2014, 01:45 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 429

1,190 posts
Donate to Me
More
I like the idea but this could take a very long time, but there is a chance that one of the first keys we gen is the right key. And why exactly did you mention me?

Sent from my OtterX running AICP using Tapatalk
19th August 2014, 02:13 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 1,546

2,560 posts
More
Why utilize under powered devices?

http://www.infosecurity-magazine.com...-amazon-cloud/

I'm going to bow out, though, as I'd only be one of the naysayers on this.
19th August 2014, 02:47 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

187 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuabg

I like the idea but this could take a very long time, but there is a chance that one of the first keys we gen is the right key. And why exactly did you mention me?

Sent from my OtterX running AICP using Tapatalk

Because you keep up with the threads on our bootloader, so I figured you would have some interest.
19th August 2014, 03:06 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

187 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL

Why utilize under powered devices?

http://www.infosecurity-magazine.com...-amazon-cloud/

I'm going to bow out, though, as I'd only be one of the naysayers on this.

Because they are free. Our community doesnt have a good track record for paying for research and development to benefit themselves directly, much less benefit the greater good. I didn't post to claim I have THE answer...I posted with a crazy ass idea which I hoped would spark some ingenuity in others. Anyway, thanks for the link and thanks for being honest.
19th August 2014, 04:31 PM   |  #6  
Flag Minnesota
Thanks Meter: 957

418 posts
More
Hash Collisions

Finding a hash collision isn't like bruteforcing a password. It's (very basically) finding another file that has the same hash. It's not so much guessing the 'password' as it is hoping that mathematical computation outputs the same hash as another file, by sheer chance. There are academic and private researchers who have been working on this for years, with exponentially more processing power and resources than we could ever hope to see. While I admire your will to find a solution, this won't be happening for us. Your efforts are more fruitful by calling Samsung/Verizon/AT&T and complaining, leaving feedback, and doing it relentlessly. I call/email/chat with Samsung and Verizon on a daily basis, leaving feedback and asking to have my bootloader unlocked. If enough fuss is made, they may come around. Verizon and AT&T are the main targets, I just call Samsung when Verizon gets sick of hearing me.

To put it into perspective, you have a greater chance of winning the powerball 100 times, and getting hit by lightning every time you go to collect your prize.
Last edited by ryanbg; 19th August 2014 at 04:35 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ryanbg For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th August 2014, 08:47 PM   |  #7  
Even today's most basic quantum computers that are being developed could theoretically take years to crack SHA1 (when used properly), granted it could do it in much less time then any Von Neumann machine could do. But nonetheless it's unrealistic to use this as a method to crack encryption. You'd have a better chance getting the NSA to provide the info on backdoors they have (assuming the Snowden leaks are true) that they have broken nearly all modern encryption by providing researchers with a flawed RNG.
Last edited by NighthawkXL; 20th August 2014 at 04:47 PM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread