FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Unified Custom ROM Updater (Update any Custom ROM to NG6!)

1,142 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,219

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Announcement from npjohnson: Unified Updater! Currently to upgrade Custom ROM's to NG6!
Description

Edit: as of 11/9/14 these zips are broken. Their Updater Binary was corrupted in the zipping process. I would not recommend using these as of now, and I am away from my PC till next week, will fix it when I get back.

Hey Guys,

I noticed quite a few people asking about NG6 ROM's and why there is a lack thereof.

Well... NG6 and Safestrap don't get along. And the NG6 Kernel is buggy and causes random reboots, and although these can be fixed through XPosed.... why upgrade to something that is less stable than what you already have?

Not all in NG6 is bad though... the Modem/Non-HLOS/Recovery/System Apps do have some perks, like better LTE Support, a much speedier switch between WiFi/LTE/CDMA, for Verizon Support reasons, your Recovery will state NG6, Kid's Mode, and some other upsides.

So I present... The Unified Custom ROM NG6 Partial Updater!

It upgrades your Recovery*/Non-HLOS***/Modem/System Apps** to NG6 from any firmware!

*=Not included in MDK version
**= Not ready for human consumption yet (need some more time to compare files to that of Hyperdrive/Eclipse/etc.)
***=Only Included in the version for the NG6 Bootloader

This /DOES NOT/ Upgrade your BootLoader, and you will be just as ready for @Surge123 an Co.'s Kexec as anyone on NC5 will.

Tested on
MDK- - Perfect; Tested by a bud on MDK, not much to report because all the MDK version does is upgrade Modem , tested on the CM/AOSP Hybrid in the Org. Dev. Section.
MI1 - Untested
ME7 - Untested
MK2 - Perfect; Had to flash Gogolies NG6 WiFi Fix as well... but thatwas most likely due to ROM Compatibility, tested on Eclipse 3.0 (4.2.2 Version)
NC5 - Perfect (My combo of choice, Eclipse 4.0.2)
NG6 - Perfect (Duh. Stock ROM)

Credits

@Surge123 for pulling the Modem and NON-HLOS, @gogolie for the WiFi Fix, Myself for pulling Recovery.img, and I used @Muniz-ri 's Recovery Updater-Script to check out how NON-HLOS is flashed.

Instructions
Flash via Safestrap -- If on 3.72 (Any Variant) click "Remove Recovery" from inside your current Safestrap (Because 3.72 DOES NOT work with this!) and install 3.75 for the SCH-i545 (If looking to run a 4.4.x ROM), or 3.71 for the SCH-i545 (If looking to run a 4.3.x ROM), also, in my own finding, if you are on @Surge1223's 3.82 Beta w/ Kexec, it works as well.

MDK: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1r...ew?usp=sharing
ME7-MI1-MK2-NCx: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1r...ew?usp=sharing
NG6: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1r...ew?usp=sharing

XDA:DevDB Information
Unified Updater, Tool/Utility for the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S 4

Contributors
npjohnson, npjohnson, Surge1223, gogolie/giglie, Muniz_ri

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 0.1
Stable Release Date: 2014-11-03
Current Beta Version: 0.2
Beta Release Date: 2014-11-09

Created 2014-11-04
Last Updated 2014-11-03
Last edited by npjohnson; 9th November 2014 at 05:45 AM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to npjohnson For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift npjohnson Ad-Free

4th November 2014, 04:33 AM |#2  
Flag Okemos
Thanks Meter: 33

More
I did this like a month-ish ago... Why is this just now being posted?

Nonetheless, good work.
4th November 2014, 12:50 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag St. Augustine, FL

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnyderGuy

I did this like a month-ish ago... Why is this just now being posted?

Nonetheless, good work.

Well I am sure that there are 100's of people still on an NC5 ROM that haven't done anything with NG6.

I actually debated putting a note to senior members that said something like "Yes. You could have done this for yourself, this is for junior members and new people." XD
4th November 2014, 08:55 PM |#4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Iowa
Thanks Meter: 6,487

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by npjohnson

Well I am sure that there are 100's of people still on an NC5 ROM that haven't done anything with NG6.

I actually debated putting a note to senior members that said something like "Yes. You could have done this for yourself, this is for junior members and new people." XD

Nah, what you posted was fine the way it is nice to see people contributing around here :thumbup:
The Following User Says Thank You to Surge1223 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Surge1223 Ad-Free
4th November 2014, 09:24 PM |#5  
Flag Okemos
Thanks Meter: 33

More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by npjohnson

I was just surprised this was just now being posted, I figured this had been done by everyone. But your post was of up-most quality either way(:
The Following User Says Thank You to SnyderGuy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift SnyderGuy Ad-Free
9th November 2014, 05:39 AM |#6  
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 125

More
Am I able to update? I'm rooted and have safestrap 3.71 installed and working. I just want to get a little more current with the base I am running. Sure do feel like I am way way past due and seeing all the new awesome android releases, I am sort of envious . Can anyone help me out with info on how I would go about getting up to the latest and greatest version?

P.S. Also would like to fix the issue with not being able to move or delete/edit etc files on my external SD. I am only able to when using Root Browser but even then it isn't consistent.. At all!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-11-08-21-32-23.png
Views:	206
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	3006287  
9th November 2014, 05:43 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag St. Augustine, FL

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafinaf

Am I able to update? I'm rooted and have safestrap 3.71 installed and working. I just want to get a little more current with the base I am running. Sure do feel like I am way way past due and seeing all the new awesome android releases, I am sort of envious . Can anyone help me out with info on how I would go about getting up to the latest and greatest version?

P.S. Also would like to fix the issue with not being able to move or delete/edit etc files on my external SD. I am only able to when using Root Browser but even then it isn't consistent.. At all!

Ok, to do what you want, upgrade to NC5 (with Odin or OTA), because this isn't bootloaders, or non-hlos. To get those either OTA or Odin to NC5.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)