[Q] S3 dead. Get an S3 or S4? (and some Safestrap questions)

Search This thread

mageus

Jan 22, 2011
My S3 died when plugging a USB stick via an OTG cable. See here for the issue:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1981582

I'm past the year warranty, and no upgrade until October. This backup TBolt is killing me, so I need to buy a used phone, either an S3 or an S4. I had a couple questions about the S4:

SAFESTRAP QUESTIONS

- I'm guessing that Safestrap chainloads another partition using code written into the primary system partition?

- I'm unclear as to the ROM limitations. Is it just the kernel that has to be stock, or does the ROM have to be essentially TW? Can the ROM be debloated?

- Is it as fast as running the stock partition? (I know it's on EMMC)

- How does multiboot work? Does one have to go into Safestrap Recovery, choose a partition, and reboot? Or is it more like a desktop OS, where there's a chooser at boot time?

- Does the decreased RAM significantly impact app space? Is it imperative to find a 32gb model?

- Can one use the same data/sdcard partitions with multiple 'ROM'-slots, or even the stock partition?

HARDWARE QUESTIONS

- Are the overheating issues serious, or just overblown?

- Have there been problems with the USB port? (I don't want to fry another phone)

- I'm guessing it's hard to find an MDK phone at a reasonable price?

- Anyone remember the videogame "MDK"?

SUMMARY

I mainly use the phone for PIM apps, web browsing, GMaps, and podcasts/music. I prefer a debloated ROM for speed, but don't mind a stock base. I don't nead CM/AOSP, etc. For reference, I run CleanROM on the S3. I use a 64gb SD card for data, so don't need much internal memory.

It seems the only advantage of the S4 to me is the better display. The S3 is plenty fast for me. OTOH, the S4 would also future-proof me. The S5 doesn't sound like much of an upgrade from the S4, and will problably be locked down even more.

Any advice?

pepsitank

Apr 10, 2014
No overheating with the s4, I should know. I mean I have 4 of em in my house that my sisters use. Their perfect because when you root them you can get sick android and not all your tells garbage from whatever your carrier is. Bottom line is get and s4 used of eBay then upgrade the s3 you has ace to an s5 when it comes out, if it comes, when... The s5 might just be a rumor. But yes

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Hashbang173

Inactive Recognized Developer / Contributor
May 6, 2012
No overheating with the s4, I should know. I mean I have 4 of em in my house that my sisters use. Their perfect because when you root them you can get sick android and not all your tells garbage from whatever your carrier is. Bottom line is get and s4 used of eBay then upgrade the s3 you has ace to an s5 when it comes out, if it comes, when... The s5 might just be a rumor. But yes

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

S5 is out on alot of carriers including verizon

Oishikatta

Mar 16, 2014
Wow, didn't know there was an MDK S4 for that cheap. Can one assume that's MDK since it has CM on it?
However, S3s are dropping to $150 since people are getting S5s.

Also, what, exactly, was tasty?

みんなはおいしいです。僕は恐竜です。

The 7th picture looked like AOSP icons, and CM can only be installed on MDK.

32BitWhore

Aug 31, 2011
I tell people that I'd trade my MDK S4 for an S3 all the time. I just felt like I got better performance out of it all around. CM11 definitely ran better and was more stable on the S3, even in Alpha stages, than even the most current CM11 build for the S4.

Just my opinion though.

And yes I remember the old MDK Sega Genesis game. I loved that game.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda app-developers app

mageus

Jan 22, 2011
みんなはおいしいです。僕は恐竜です

<shudder>

I tell people that I'd trade my MDK S4 for an S3 all the time. I just felt like I got better performance out of it all around. CM11 definitely ran better and was more stable on the S3, even in Alpha stages, than even the most current CM11 build for the S4.

So, are you saying the ROMS for the S4 aren't mature yet? As I said above, I run CleanROM. Rock stable but still quick because of the debloat. If S4 ROMS don't provide a stable environment, I may want to stick with an S3.

mageus

Jan 22, 2011
BTW, the S4 for $235 @ Swappa has been dropped about a foot and has a crack in the glass near the button (not over the screen). It also only comes with a Zerolemon extended battery/case which is twice as thick as a stock S4. One would have to buy a stock backplate and standard sized battery. I'm guessing it's been through multiple owners.

Think it's worth it?

32BitWhore

Aug 31, 2011
<shudder>

So, are you saying the ROMS for the S4 aren't mature yet? As I said above, I run CleanROM. Rock stable but still quick because of the debloat. If S4 ROMS don't provide a stable environment, I may want to stick with an S3.

I'd be more inclined to say the ROMs I use aren't. AOSP ROMs specifically. I'm sure many people are just fine with TW ROMs and are perfectly okay with the SafeStrap method. I'm not one of those people and as a result have had stability issues. I'm currently running the final release of CM 10.2.1 because it's much more fully matured, but I still have issues with data dropping from time to time and other general instability. I never had issues like this with my S3, iirc, even on CM 11.

tech_head

BTW, the S4 for $235 @ Swappa has been dropped about a foot and has a crack in the glass near the button (not over the screen). It also only comes with a Zerolemon extended battery/case which is twice as thick as a stock S4. One would have to buy a stock backplate and standard sized battery. I'm guessing it's been through multiple owners.

Think it's worth it?

I would pass on just about all of them except those running MDK.
Having KNOX, is a pain in the butt.

I personally would not buy the S4. I have one but would not buy another.
I'd go for something that I could unlock the bootloader.

Right now the LG G2 is as cheap as the GS4 with hardware close to the HTC M8 or Galaxy S5.
If you need an internal SD that won't work. My next phone is not Samsung. Just say no to "KNOX Pox".

ahoslc

Mar 30, 2010
salt lake city

Just my opinion though.

And yes I remember the old MDK Sega Genesis game. I loved that game.

Not sure what your doing but my S4 blows my S3 out of the water. Try a Rom like Liquidsmooth or Vanir !

Last edited:

bennyboy78

Nov 9, 2011
Honestly if you wanna mod, roms all that, your best bet Is either a nexus or HTC, as you can unlock HTC bootloader. Or pay full price for unlocked version of s4 :/

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

scryan

Oct 19, 2013
Most people here harping on the need for mdk are ALMOST wrong, lol. The OP says he only wants stock based roms. That is totally an option with safestrap. Currently your needs sound like they would totally be met with a locked Verizon phone. However, who knows what future updates will "fix"... so there would be a chance that safestap couldnt be made to work on a new update... at which point you would have to choose between updates and roms...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mageus

Jan 22, 2011
scryan is prescient.

I'm leaning towards an S4 for 2 reasons:

- 1080 screen.
- It would be a shame to have to pay for a new phone, just to get the same old thing. Granted, the S4 is >$100 more . . .

It looks like the TW ROMs have enough customization to keep me happy. It's a shame that Scott stopped developing CleanROM, as that's rock stable on the S3. Hyperdrive sounds like a good candidate to start. Not worried about updates killing SS. I'm sure the devs will find a way around it.

Just waiting to see if the S5 release drives S4 prices downward any further.

s44

Sep 25, 2010
MDK S4.

One thing you may not have seen first-hand is just how huge a difference AWS makes.