Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,340 Members 43,830 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] 4.3 OTA to 4.4 - Does survival mode work?

Tip us?

PlatinumSmack
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] 4.3 OTA to 4.4 - Does survival mode work?

Hello,

I've looked however have been unable to find the answer to this.

I currently have 4.3 (MK2) rooted (stock), but besides xposed, have only really taken off some VZ apps. Other than that, I haven't done much with custom ROMs or anything of that nature. My question is, I know from previous updates, if I unfreeze all the frozen apps and then took the OTA with survival mode enabled in SuperSU, I'd keep root. Is this still possible with the 4.4 OTA?

I have searched for the answer, however if I missed it, I apologize and if someone could just point me in the right direction, that would also be appreciated.

Thanks to any and all help.

Jraider44
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumSmack View Post
Hello,

I've looked however have been unable to find the answer to this.

I currently have 4.3 (MK2) rooted (stock), but besides xposed, have only really taken off some VZ apps. Other than that, I haven't done much with custom ROMs or anything of that nature. My question is, I know from previous updates, if I unfreeze all the frozen apps and then took the OTA with survival mode enabled in SuperSU, I'd keep root. Is this still possible with the 4.4 OTA?

I have searched for the answer, however if I missed it, I apologize and if someone could just point me in the right direction, that would also be appreciated.

Thanks to any and all help.
No, Survival does not work... You have two options:

1. Just take the OTA and Then use towelroot to root ( just google towelroot, really easy)

2. Use either Surge's or Gogolies methods listed in the development/general threads for this device to Upgrade w/o a bootloader

PlatinumSmack
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thank you for the help.