Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,583 Members 37,742 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Bad range with Wifi and Bluetooth

Tip us?

jgraham8806
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Bad range with Wifi and Bluetooth

Hey everyone,

I had been putting off the NC5 update for quite a while now. I was on a safe strapped and rooted MK2 and hadn't had any issues. Well I finally updated to NC5 a couple weeks ago using a method here and kept root. I didn't have any issues at first. A week later my phone wouldn't find my wireless network at home. It only finds it when I have the phone about a foot away from the router. The same thing happens with my Bluetooth Bose speaker. If I try to move my phone even while it is right next to it, the music becomes choppy just like I'm almost out of range.

I thought it might have been a radio issue, so I flashed the radio all the way back down to MK2. I'm still having the same problem.

It's there any way to test my phone? At this point I'm really beginning to think that it could be a hardware issue.

Help!

Josh

Mistertac
Old
Thanks Meter 1,600

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraham8806 View Post
Hey everyone,

I had been putting off the NC5 update for quite a while now. I was on a safe strapped and rooted MK2 and hadn't had any issues. Well I finally updated to NC5 a couple weeks ago using a method here and kept root. I didn't have any issues at first. A week later my phone wouldn't find my wireless network at home. It only finds it when I have the phone about a foot away from the router. The same thing happens with my Bluetooth Bose speaker. If I try to move my phone even while it is right next to it, the music becomes choppy just like I'm almost out of range.

I thought it might have been a radio issue, so I flashed the radio all the way back down to MK2. I'm still having the same problem.

It's there any way to test my phone? At this point I'm really beginning to think that it could be a hardware issue.

Help!

Josh
I'd suggest using a No Wipe NC5 Odin file and starting fresh. You have Towel Root now so no issues on getting root back. And when you were flashing modems which one exactly did you flash.... Only use the non-los modem file that matches your bootloader build . Flash any Modem Only zip you want however.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

jgraham8806
Old
(Last edited by jgraham8806; 9th July 2014 at 05:14 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertac View Post
I'd suggest using a No Wipe NC5 Odin file and starting fresh. You have Towel Root now so no issues on getting root back. And when you were flashing modems which one exactly did you flash.... Only use the non-los modem file that matches your bootloader build . Flash any Modem Only zip you want however.

Thanks for the quick reply. I used Surge's [HOW-TO]Upgrade to 4.4.2 VRUFNC5 and keep root (for NC2 and MK2 devices) [05/13/2014].

I flashed the modem only versions, and I tried flashing nc5 all the way back to mk2 both retail and developer versions. No luck.

Is the no wipe nc5 odin file different from what I would have done using Surge's guide?

Mistertac
Old
Thanks Meter 1,600

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply. I used Surge's [HOW-TO]Upgrade to 4.4.2 VRUFNC5 and keep root (for NC2 and MK2 devices) [05/13/2014].

I flashed the modem only versions, and I tried flashing nc5 all the way back to mk2 both retail and developer versions. No luck.

Is the no wipe nc5 odin file different from what I would have done using Surge's guide?

OK.
Well yes I believe that method you used was a bit different. What build is your bootloader on right now do you know? You can grab the Samsung Phone Info app from the play store if you're not sure.

I'd suggest though still to use an Odin No Wipe file and start fresh while not deleting any of your stuff... Only thing I'm not sure on is what your bootloader is since I'm on MDK and not 100% where Surges method left you... There were so many of those methods on here it lost me..

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=52279353

Id think the NC5 no wipe is the way to go..

jgraham8806
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
OK.
Well yes I believe that method you used was a bit different. What build is your bootloader on right now do you know? You can grab the Samsung Phone Info app from the play store if you're not sure.

I'd suggest though still to use an Odin No Wipe file and start fresh while not deleting any of your stuff... Only thing I'm not sure on is what your bootloader is since I'm on MDK and not 100% where Surges method left you... There were so many of those methods on here it lost me..

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=52279353

Id think the NC5 no wipe is the way to go..

The bootloader is apparently mk2 according to the app. PDA/CSC/BUILD all nc5. So is baseband the same as the bootloader? I've always just looked at Settings> About Phone.

Mistertac
Old
Thanks Meter 1,600

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
The bootloader is apparently mk2 according to the app. PDA/CSC/BUILD all nc5. So is baseband the same as the bootloader? I've always just looked at Settings> About Phone.
No baseband is your modem/radio
Not the same as your build/bootloader.

So yours says MK2 where mine shows Bootloader MDK? If that's the case you could use thee MK2 Odin file and stay on MK2 or still use the NC5 one and jump up a build. Do you just run stock or do you use SafeStrap and ROMs ?

---------- Post added at 12:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 AM ----------

See my baseband is NC5 however my bootloader is MDK. And looking at About Phone says nothing about MDK. That's why that app comes in handy for those that don't know

jgraham8806
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
No baseband is your modem/radio
Not the same as your build/bootloader.

So yours says MK2 where mine shows Bootloader MDK? If that's the case you could use thee MK2 Odin file and stay on MK2 or still use the NC5 one and jump up a build. Do you just run stock or do you use SafeStrap and ROMs ?

---------- Post added at 12:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 AM ----------

See my baseband is NC5 however my bootloader is MDK. And looking at About Phone says nothing about MDK. That's why that app comes in handy for those that don't know

Interesting. Yes, my bootloader is still on mk2. My baseband is on mk2 as well, but it was on nc5 until I downgraded while troubleshooting. I run safestrap, and during the upgrade to nc5, flashed whatever deodexed zip surge's how-to said to flash. So will the no-wipe odin file update my bootloader as well? If so, is there any benefit to it?

Mistertac
Old
Thanks Meter 1,600

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Interesting. Yes, my bootloader is still on mk2. My baseband is on mk2 as well, but it was on nc5 until I downgraded while troubleshooting. I run safestrap, and during the upgrade to nc5, flashed whatever deodexed zip surge's how-to said to flash. So will the no-wipe odin file update my bootloader as well? If so, is there any benefit to it?
Well currently if your on NC5 you can only use SafeStrap 3.72 I believe and you are only able to flash ROMs to the stick slot.

If you are able to stay on MK2 however you use SafeStrap 3.71 and are able to use your ROM slots and use SafeStrap like it's intended.

So......lol I'd say try the No Wipe MK2 file that can still be found in that link. Sounds like something got screwed up along the way with those methods you were using earlier.

That'd be a good starting point. Then you can decide for yourself if you want to upgrade again to NC5. Just know that once your bootloader is on NC5 there is no going back to MK2. That's why some of those methods were so entailing and required many files and steps.

But hopefully starting fresh will fix this problem you have... Let's hope!

jgraham8806
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Well currently if your on NC5 you can only use SafeStrap 3.72 I believe and you are only able to flash ROMs to the stick slot.

If you are able to stay on MK2 however you use SafeStrap 3.71 and are able to use your ROM slots and use SafeStrap like it's intended.

So......lol I'd say try the No Wipe MK2 file that can still be found in that link. Sounds like something got screwed up along the way with those methods you were using earlier.

That'd be a good starting point. Then you can decide for yourself if you want to upgrade again to NC5. Just know that once your bootloader is on NC5 there is no going back to MK2. That's why some of those methods were so entailing and required many files and steps.

But hopefully starting fresh will fix this problem you have... Let's hope!

So I'm not having much luck. I originally tried flashing the mk2 no-wipe with odin and kept getting a pit error. I just decided to try flashing the full wipe, but no luck. I moved onto just trying both of the nc5 tar files and they are erroring out as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ss.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	2842989  

jgraham8806
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Well, I finally was able to flash the full-wipe NC5 update. (I had to switch USB ports) Bootloader and build are both NC5. Still have horrible wi-fi and bluetooth connections. Dum dum dummmmmm. Looks like I'm paying $100 for a warranty replacement.