Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,964 Members 51,994 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] A bit of assistance please

Tip us?

otownmarine
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] A bit of assistance please

Hi all,

So, I have an I545 with MK2 bootloader. I have been reading how its fairly safe now to go with a KK rom (I had some issues w the rom i was on so right now I have the stock Verizon rom with safestrap 3.72 already installed.

My main concern is that I do not (its on order- my other one got corrupted/inaccessible) have an SDCard to put the new ROM I want on there. Is it possible to place it on the internal storage and still be able to wipe enough of the phone without wiping out the zipped ROM?

And is there any KK ROMS for safestrap that are considered 'more stable' than others that may be a safer bet for me to roll with? Thanks!

Mistertac
Old
Thanks Meter 1,577

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by otownmarine View Post
Hi all,

So, I have an I545 with MK2 bootloader. I have been reading how its fairly safe now to go with a KK rom (I had some issues w the rom i was on so right now I have the stock Verizon rom with safestrap 3.72 already installed.

My main concern is that I do not (its on order- my other one got corrupted/inaccessible) have an SDCard to put the new ROM I want on there. Is it possible to place it on the internal storage and still be able to wipe enough of the phone without wiping out the zipped ROM?

And is there any KK ROMS for safestrap that are considered 'more stable' than others that may be a safer bet for me to roll with? Thanks!
You're good to go as far as saving the ROM zip to internal memory. Unless you manually select to wipe Internal Storage you'll be just fine.

As far as what ROMs are more stable that's hard to say since it depends a lot on how you use your phone. I don't run TW ROMs myself ( MDK S4 ) but a I see a lot of people liking Hyperdrive or Echoe... Maybe just flash a couple and see how it goes. You have many options

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

zombolt
Old
Thanks Meter 31
you do not have to wipe your data, just cache and dalvik cache. This applies to upgrading/downgrading between 4.3 to 4.4.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Free mobile app

otownmarine
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Ok, thanks- but isnt there some special steps I have to do in order to do the upgrade? I read an article on it yesterday in the hyperdrive thread (download like 4 different zips, apply using Odin, etc, then flash, which was what ended up causing my initial boot loop) or as long as I have SS 3.72, even on MK2, i should be ok just wiping the cache(s) and installing?

otownmarine
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Ok, thanks- but isnt there some special steps I have to do in order to do the upgrade? I read an article on it yesterday in the hyperdrive thread (download like 4 different zips, apply using Odin, etc, then flash, which was what ended up causing my initial boot loop) or as long as I have SS 3.72, even on MK2, i should be ok just wiping the cache(s) and installing?
I should clarify- I meant that when going from 4.3 to 4.4 w MK2 / Safestrap. If all that isnt necessary, I'll be a happy individual.

otownmarine
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
bump--anyone?

decaturbob
Old
Thanks Meter 813
Quote:
bump--anyone?
There are threads and YouTube videos on this stuff... All the info is out there. A stickie thread in general forum gives you links to most of it...

sent via safestrap 3.72 and echo v25.1! !
so long Verizon and my awesome S4 , hello TMO G3

k1mu
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,550

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
The quick way there is to flash the NC5 no-wipe ROM from the Android Development forum for this phone. That'll get you to NC5, which you can then root, safestrap, and flash a ROM.
My Android devices:
vzw Samsung Galaxy S4 stock NC5 rooted
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, also stock but rooted.

VZ Droid Incredible 2 rooted but otherwise stock.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1